PDA

View Full Version : Ipod in my Disco 2

astormsau
10th July 2008, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone,
Bit of information for anyone looking to integrate an ipod into their Discovery 2 sound system. I recently upgraded from a Honda where I had added a Pioneer headunit with ipod control. I am now the proud owner of a 2000 ES Disco 2 and wanted to connect my Ipod instead of using CD's.

The ES disco has the premium sound system, so 6 disc changer, Harmon Kardon speakers and an Alpine headunit. So my search began.

I uncovered this little jigger, it cost me $180 AUD including delivery from the US (I paid with Visa) and arrived in 9 days from placing the order.

land rover ipod interface adaptor (http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-543-158-land-rover-ipod-interface.aspx)

The install was simple. Oemautosound will supply the following under the label of a PA12-BMW unit.
1. headunit to ipod control unit lead with a convertor/adaptor harness (we remove this bit)
2. ipod control unit
3. ipod lead (from control unit to ipod).

1. Turn off the vehicle and remove the trim around the base of the drivers seat, 3 screws and 1 plastic dowel thinggy at the back.
2. Unplug factory CD player (remember to remove your CD magazine first) - there is a short lead from the cd stacker and then a connector to the main lead which runs to the headunit, unplug this connection.
3. The Oemautosound adaptor will have a long lead supplied, one end plugs into the ipod control box, the other end into a small conversion harness which should go into the back of the headunit, remove this conversion harness and plug the long lead into the existing lead from the headunit which is already under the seat.
4. Push the long lead supplied by Oemautosound under the CD changer unit to make it all nice and neat (no need to unravel this lead at all).
5. Ensure all Dipswitches on the ipod control box are left in the On position (this is how my unit was supplied.)
6. Undo one of the screws on the side of the CD changer towards the drivers side of the car, line up the Ipod control box and screw the screw back through the Ipod control box, mounting frame and into the CD changer.
7. Plug the ipod lead into the ipod control box and place it in front of the CD changer (i chose to store my ipod in the compartment where the CD changer lives).
8. Refit seat trim...

All done! The beauty of this is that you dont have to remove the factory CD changer, the headunit or any part of the car except the drivers seat trim for the installation. If you choose to sell the vehicle or decide you dont love your ipod anymore, you can simply plug the factory CD changer back in. My install look about 30 mins including figuring out where to mount the little box scratching my head about wether to remove the cd changer or not.

In the configuration in which the ipod controller box is supplied, i can both access the first 5 playlists on my ipod using CD discs 1 - 5 on headunit, use disc 6 to play all ipod songs... or whilst playing any playlist, i can actually navigate the ipod and select my own playlists or songs (a new feature called Hyrid mode, not mentioned on their website).

Performance wise, the sound is very good, basically the same as having my ipod direct control on the pioneer headunit... I have noticed a slight hiss in the sound at high volume but i think this is just the sound system. The best thing is, i still have all the other benefits of the ES sound system.

I am sure you can mount the ipod somewhere else or do something more creative with the wiring but for me, im happy for the ipod to be out of sight, out of mind.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a good solution for their D2. Apparently this unit should work in most 1996 - 2001 Range Rovers as well.

Andrew

BMKal
10th July 2008, 01:12 PM
I just bought an Ipod transmitter thingy from the Fremantle Markets for about thirty bucks.

Plugs into the end of the Ipod and will transmit an FM stereo signal over a short range on one of about 6 available selectable frequencies. You don't have to disconnect anything or modify your vehicle in any way.

Simply tune the radio in the Disco (or any other FM radio) to the indicated frequency, and you have the music from your Ipod playing through your FM radio and sound system in the car. Sound quality is the same as listening to the FM radio.

The transmitter thingy also has a connection which can be plugged into the cigarette lighter, anabling charging of your Ipod while it's plugged in.

astormsau
10th July 2008, 01:44 PM
another good solution, unfortunatly I have never had any good luck with FM transmitters, I have tried about 6 of them over the last few years.. i always end up with interference from sources outside the vehicle and found the sound to be... less than good.

I got my brother a $120 Belkin unit for Christmas and when I used it was most unhappy with it hence this solution.