PDA

View Full Version : D2 TD5 intercooler removal

pohm66
15th July 2008, 01:43 PM
Had a search through previous threads and couldn't find exactly what i'm after.

The question I have is, and I think it is do-able having read it in some forum, is it possible with a little jigging to remove the intercooler without having to remove the radiator, fan and battery????

The thread mentioned removing the cowl and undoing the radiator leaning into the motor to be able to squeeeeeze the I/C out.

Your feedback would be handy....... If this isnt the case :( any suggestions.

No matter which way I get it out I'll write up the process for the tutorials.

Cheers......
Paul

dmdigital
15th July 2008, 01:57 PM
Yes you do have to. You could possible get by without removing the battery tray but it is easier if you do. Doesn't take long and you will also have to unbolt the horns.

sniegy
15th July 2008, 02:47 PM
As Derek has said u will need to remove the fan, fan cowl & radiator as the I/C is attached to the front the radiator.
I didnt need to remove the battery tray at all & i had to fit a fatter I/C back in.
You will also need to remove front grill, both horns & all the bracketry that olds the Radiator in as this wil allow the maximum amount of movement to R&R the I/C. Its a bit of fddling but if u take your time wont be a problem.
Cheers.
Keep smilin' Pete.

Slunnie
15th July 2008, 02:49 PM
Yes you can. Remove the cowl from around the radiator and you'll also have to remove the IC and water hoses - don't touch the ATF or AC hoses though and you might get away with leaving the small lower water hoses in place on the coolant radiator. You may also get away with not removing the fan, though it is a tight fit with an aftermarket intercooler.

Also, if you can just turn the upper radiator pack mounts rather than unbolting half of the front end, then that will also save you a heap of time.

Narangga
15th July 2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all that guys as I will be doing it on 1 Aug.

Had a look at the RAVE and it seemed OK but always nice to hear from those who have 'done it'.:)

andymach23
15th July 2008, 05:38 PM
There's a useful how to on this site....

www.discovery2.co.uk / Workshop / Intercooler Cleaninr (http://www.discovery2.co.uk/intercooler.html)

Cheers

Andy

pohm66
16th July 2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks Guys..... This is exactly the info I needed... great link andymach23.

Slunnie, you are the same track that I had seen somewhere!!!! I have a std Intercooler so being slimmer should come out easier.

Tis always good to put these questions out there and discover what others have done.

I'll give Slunnies a try and grab some pics along the way... all going well would be another item to add to the library.

Paul

Slunnie
16th July 2008, 11:05 AM
This is where my learning started. Cape York - the picture says it all really... and a couple of days at Archer River Roadhouse. BTW, I can highly recommend the hamburgers there!

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/07/723.jpg

suprlite
31st May 2019, 12:52 PM
I managed to remove my intercooler and insert a serck uprated intercooler without removing the fan. Just had to lift the radiator a bit and push it towards the rear. Mine is a D2 2003.

Jimgee
1st June 2019, 09:31 AM
I've done it both with fan in and without. Soooo much easier taking the fan out first.

Kaaaiju
2nd June 2019, 06:35 PM
I just changed my oil cooler and removed the fan first, so much easier to do it like that