PDA

View Full Version : d1 not starting

mills rover
15th July 2008, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys

Im having trouble starting my v8 auto disco
first thing in the morning if it starts first pop it will start all day long and might do so for days on end then all of a sudden one morning it wont start just keeps crancking over like its not getting any spark ?
Has anyone had this problem ?
I've changed fuel pump and no diffrent also tried new leads new coil and its doing it again today just keeps crancking over
I tried taking it to a landrover dealer and was told they couldn't work out what was wrong as it wasn't doing it while they had the vehicle
im lost cant think of anything elseunless its something to do with immoboliser and i wouldn't know where to start with that .
Well guys any help would greatly appreciated
thank you ..
At least my defender starts every day without a miss
by the way are any of you guys in melbourne interested in going to dissa or talangi for a day trip ?
Thanks again

justinc
15th July 2008, 08:52 PM
VERY likely it is the alarm spider (Immobiliser) They cut out the coil supply, fuel pump and cranking circuits independently of each other. There is a bypass plug available, I can't recall the part number at present. It is located behind and under the radio.:mad:

Very hard to diagnose unless it is doing it, next time it does it, check the coil supply voltage it must be around 12.5V . Usually, when the spider is at fault, the coil + voltage will drop to around 8 to 10 volts, sometimes less.

I fit the bypass plug to most immediately, after time the spider fails anyway, and it is a cheap part, around $17.

JC

mills rover
15th July 2008, 09:00 PM
Thank you Justin C
Where would i buy this alarm spider by pass plug mate ,
would my local landy dealer sell it ?
thanks again mate

DI5CO
15th July 2008, 10:25 PM
I had a similar problem in my 96 V8. When you turn it over & it doesnt start, check the immobiliser light on the dash, like a key symbol on the right hand side. if this lights up, then its that!! all i did was open the window, lock & unlock the car with the key, then try it again. if its not that, then i dont know:eek:
Dave.

Blknight.aus
16th July 2008, 04:50 AM
dont forget to check/change the relays for the ignition system and the fuel pump.

JMAN
16th July 2008, 09:40 AM
When you say it cranks over but doesn't start, does it eventually start after heaps of cranking? I'm still trying to sort out my starting issues.

mills rover
16th July 2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Guys
well i got that bypass plug today and fitted it with no luck it already had it done at some other stage but i thought well while ive got it i might as well replace it
still crancking over with no start defenitly not getting any spark at the leads and not getting anything at the coil i might have to get a truck to come and pick it up and take it to ulr i think
Ive replaced fuel pump a few months ago and put a new coil in not sure about these relays for the ignition system black night wouldnt know where to look to even find them ........ its driving me insane actually
anyhow thanks guys
cheers

dirtdawg
17th July 2008, 06:53 AM
what side of melb are you on there's a few good places in the east and there's les richmond in thomastown

mills rover
19th July 2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Guys
well no luck i might have to take it to les richmond as his the closest to my place even though i wasn't happy with his service last time
Might give it one more go ill charge both battery's
and try again
Blck Night where are these relays you talking about mate ?
thanx again Guys
By the way if anyone is interested in a day trip close to melb id love to go
obviously not with my disco but with my defender or series 3
Sundays are good for me but can always think about a sat if anyone interested ........

SPROVER
19th July 2008, 04:19 PM
There are a few of us heading up to Toolangi tomorrow.Have a look in the trips section for all the details.:D

mills rover
20th July 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Guys
Got it started today worked out what was the problem
it was the wiring going to the coil
thanx again guys