PDA

View Full Version : D3 Extended Warranty ??

discomaniac
18th July 2008, 03:12 PM
Hi All,
My 3 year Land Rover Warranty runs out in 10 days time. Local dealer doesn't do any extended warranty. Anyone else have an extended warranty for their D3? Should I just take the risk and pay as I go?
Thanks.

Discomaniac

D3Jon
18th July 2008, 06:35 PM
I asked my dealer about this (Southern Land Rover in Perth) and they said they offer an extended warranty provided by a 3rd party and could sit me down with someone at their place to discuss.

I haven't looked into it in any detail as I have a few months to go on mine yet, and it's looking likely that I'll be putting my D3 up for sale in the next few weeks.

However, I do know it's not an extension of the factory warranty and I seem to remember something about partnership with Allianz?? I could be wrong though.

Jon

stevo68
18th July 2008, 06:50 PM
Mate, Bruce Lyntons on the Gold Coast do, I got one for my D3 before I sold it, it was for 3 yrs/ 75000kms from memory,

Regards

Stevo

scarry
18th July 2008, 07:00 PM
got one for my d2 a year ago,the alliance one.they had one for the d3 as well.you must take it out before the factory one runs out to get the top cover.

i wouldnt be without it.if you sell the car it is a good selling point,if you keep it it may save you a few dollars,depending what it costs.

mine is for 3 yrs & i think till 160k's ,got it from austral lr in brisbane

drivesafe
18th July 2008, 07:09 PM
Mate, Bruce Lyntons on the Gold Coast do, I got one for my D3 before I sold it, it was for 3 yrs/ 75000kms from memory,

Regards

Stevo

Hi Stevo, unfortunately Lyntons no longer organise extended warranties.

I had the D3 in for a service last week and as there is only 5 months to go on the factory warranty, I asked for the extended warranty and was told that the company they were using no longer wanted to cover lux vehicles and the other companies they had looked at were not offering as good a cover so they opted not to carry any.

I’m still looking for coverage so this thread is VERY interesting.

tdiBrad
18th July 2008, 07:22 PM
Drivesafe,
I am pretty sure that Trivetts in Sydney offer an extended warranty.
I was there a few months ago having a look at a new LR and the extended warranty was offered, I believe it was for three years/60,000kms.

:burnrubber:

sniegy
18th July 2008, 07:49 PM
Hi all,
We get this question asked on nearly a weekly basis.
A lot of customers new vehicles are coming out of warranty now so...
LandRover DO NOT offer a factory extended warranty whatsoever.:(
This ceased in 04 from memory. There are a lot of aftermarket variants out there, some to be very wary of & a lot of dealers sell them.
All i can say is READ the fine print. Make sure u understand what is covered & not.:eek:
You will be surprised on some policies...:mad:

Do a lot of homework before u hand over the money.;)

discomaniac
20th July 2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the advice so far.
Will keep doing my homework. Will let you all know if I find anything worth while.

Discomaniac.

peterpam
21st July 2008, 03:56 PM
If you do find a reasonable policy it would be good to know the cost.

D3Jon
7th August 2008, 06:24 PM
My dealer wrote to me recently offering a 3rd party extended warranty.

There's a copy of the letter at the bottom of my web page: HERE (http://www.jonmurray.com)

Cost is $1980 for 3 years / 60K Kms, car must still be under manufacturers warranty.

I've scrutinised the policy which says it covers everything the manufacturers one would have done had it not expired. Looks good to me, but servicing must be kept up in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.

Jon

mobyone
10th August 2008, 08:15 AM
I purchased this product from Allianz just before June 30 :angel: through LR dealer in Sydney as no dealer would offer it in Melb and I couldn't buy it direct from Allianz. My warranty runs out in Nov but the tax man thought it best to write off last financial year.

Interesting to see that your dealer offered it to you close to when your vehicle warranty was about to expire, wonder if mine will do same?

Sorry to see you are selling up already Jon, car looks spotless and a great buy at that price.....

Garry
10th August 2008, 10:28 PM
I just bought my D3 from Bruce Lynton and got the 3 years extension of manufacturer’s warranty from a mob called National Warranty Company, they assured me it was as good as Land rovers warranty and have had no problems with claims from it.

But let’s be honest, the company is in business to make money so I’m sure they will not be handing our repairs without trying to find a way out first.

G

Boofrmb
2nd January 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi All. Ive just received a letter from my Local Dealer offering me an extended warranty on my unit. For all you guys out there that has taken up the warranty, was it worth it.

Rob

scarry
2nd January 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi All. Ive just received a letter from my Local Dealer offering me an extended warranty on my unit. For all you guys out there that has taken up the warranty, was it worth it.

Rob

allianze have told me they will not do LR products anymore,what company is it through ?

mobyone
13th January 2009, 02:37 PM
My factory warranty ran out in Nov 08, and I had my first warranty claim 4 weeks later when they had to replace a faulty speed sensor ($350) ... So far, glad I took out the extended warranty through Allianz...

cjc_td5
13th January 2009, 02:52 PM
allianze have told me they will not do LR products anymore,what company is it through ?

Not suprising that they won't do LR products anymore. We are 2.5 years through our Alliance Extended Warranty on our D2 and so far we are in front:
- Ruptured fuel line X 2
- MAF
- Fuel regulator

We would like to roll ours over into the next three years in June but I don't hold out much hope...:cool:

DirtyDawg
14th January 2009, 07:26 AM

Regards

Stevo

I did the same for the RR at Bruce Lyntons 3yrs cost $1900 5 yrs $3k ,Australia wide just take it to your nearest dealer, it replicates the factory warranty....I will only find out how good it is when I need to use it;)

scarry
14th January 2009, 09:18 AM
Not suprising that they won't do LR products anymore. We are 2.5 years through our Alliance Extended Warranty on our D2 and so far we are in front:
- Ruptured fuel line X 2
- MAF
- Fuel regulator

We would like to roll ours over into the next three years in June but I don't hold out much hope...:cool:

x2

My d2 has had
Oil seal between g/box & t/box
Engine mounts
MAF Sensor

Now i got a weeping shock.....I wonder if they will replace it,i doubt

Extended warranty with Alliance

CaverD3
15th January 2009, 06:25 AM

My dealer (Alto) are still selling them so i don't think that is true.
I intend to get one as if something major fails it could be expensive.

Boofrmb
15th January 2009, 05:12 PM
Sorry Paul.

The company is the "National Company"

Here are some of the details:

The first is a 1year, 30,000km extension at the cost of $1895

The second is the same as the above but for a 2 yrs option with an extra 60,000km costing $2095.

The third is 3year, 90,000km extension. The cost is $2350.

The last is a 4year, 120,000km extension. This cost is $2550

CaverD3
15th January 2009, 05:46 PM
That's a lot less than Allianz but what happens if you claim?

Any contact details? Google can't find anything.

Franz
15th January 2009, 10:25 PM
got one for my d2 a year ago,the alliance one.they had one for the d3 as well.you must take it out before the factory one runs out to get the top cover.

i wouldnt be without it.if you sell the car it is a good selling point,if you keep it it may save you a few dollars,depending what it costs.

mine is for 3 yrs & i think till 160k's ,got it from austral lr in brisbane
Paul,

Do you have more details about the "Alliance Warranty that you purchased.

TIA.

Franz

D3Docker
15th January 2009, 11:06 PM
I purchased the allianz 3yr 60000km warranty about 12 months ago for about $1950. Have used it for a new instument pack, selt belt pretensioner and aircon recirc motor and had no dramas whatsoever. Has paid for itself already. From my experience I would recommend it.

Simon

scarry
16th January 2009, 08:57 PM
Paul,

Do you have more details about the "Alliance Warranty that you purchased.

TIA.

Franz

What would you like to know,it covers every thing,i think,similar to factory warranty,not service type parts,such as batteries,tyres,brake pads etc.

The thing i do like about it is you dont have to use the stealers for the repairs.

But ,as said,the boss of alliance in Brisbane told me they will not do them for any LR products anymore,i tried to get him to give a reason ,but he wouldnt.

Franz
17th January 2009, 01:41 PM
What would you like to know,it covers every thing,i think,similar to factory warranty,not service type parts,such as batteries,tyres,brake pads etc.

The thing i do like about it is you dont have to use the stealers for the repairs.

But ,as said,the boss of alliance in Brisbane told me they will not do them for any LR products anymore,i tried to get him to give a reason ,but he wouldnt.
I just wanted to know some contact details but seeing as they won't do Land Rovers anymore, I guess there's no point in contacting them.

Cheers,

Franz
2004 Classic Td5 with mods

seano87
29th January 2009, 11:06 AM
If anyone is looking at taking out a warranty through the "National Warranty Company" be EXTREMELY wary.

You must read the fine print very very closely - their extended warranty conditions can be found through http://nwco.homestead.com/files/Extn_Inside_pages.L.pdf of particular note is the risk section where they state they have no obligation to pay out for anything, and will look at each case on merit but can deny it for no other reason than they don't want to pay out.

IMO any product they offer is not worth the paper it is printed on.

JPI
10th February 2009, 05:27 PM
If anyone is looking at taking out a warranty through the "National Warranty Company" be EXTREMELY wary.

You must read the fine print very very closely - their extended warranty conditions can be found through http://nwco.homestead.com/files/Extn_Inside_pages.L.pdf of particular note is the risk section where they state they have no obligation to pay out for anything, and will look at each case on merit but can deny it for no other reason than they don't want to pay out.

IMO any product they offer is not worth the paper it is printed on.
I've been offered this warranty by Austral in Brisbane as my factory warranty runs out in April, and boy have I needed it. I just wouldn't risk having a Disco without it. Does anyone have first hand experience of the National Warranty Company and their handling of claims?

300+
12th February 2009, 08:01 PM
The pdf linked above has a lovely statement:
"NWC will only pay to repair the Vehicle to a condition consistent with its age, condition and kilometres travelled."

I read this as your vehicle is 4 years old and has travelled 100,000 KM. In this case we expect the power steering pump to be half worn out. Yours is currently leaking, so we will repair this to be one which is half worn out, but not leaking. This could be some seal bodging, a second hand pump, etc.

I also like this line:
"Before NWC can approve a claim under the Warranty, the Vehicle will need to be examined to identify the problem. If NWC subsequently decides to pay the cost of repair, we will also pay the cost of that original diagnosis. If the damage does not constitute a valid claim, you will be responsible for paying any costs associated with that diagnosis."

I bought a used vehicle once with a similar aftermarket warranty. I had to have it serviced by them on a very frequent basis, the repairs had to be carried out by their service centre - which was a long way from anywhere. I also had to contribute towards all repairs, there were quite low payout totals for most items. And to crown it all, leaks were not covered and my failed power steering pump was deemed to be leaking, not failed. They also admitted that if they did repair it they would usually fit a used part.

I'll likely be getting an extended warranty for my D3 when it is due, but I'll be reading the PDS very carefully!

Cheers, Steve

CaverD3
12th February 2009, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't touch it.:o

'Any repairs required as a result of the continued operation of the Vehicle once a defect or fault has occurred
(including loss of lubricants and coolant);'

'If you do not comply with the servicing requirements (see Section 4), including
forwarding of service invoices and details within specified timeframe;'

'You may be required to pay the first $100 towards each claim.'

'You must forward the service invoice (copy/original) detailing: the Vehicle’s registration number, your name and
address, kilometres at the time of service, the work performed, and the Warranty number to NWC within seven days of servicing
the Vehicle. Our contact details appear inside the front cover. Evidence of posting must be available if requested.'

'This Warranty is a discretionary risk product. This means that you are entitled to have your claim for assistance heard, but that
NWC is not obliged to pay all claims that come within the terms and conditions of the Warranty. You are entitled to have NWC
decide whether or not to pay the entire claim or to make a contribution to your claim. We will always consider the merits of your
claim when making this decision to ensure that we exercise our discretion in a fair or just way. If we decide not to pay your claim,
you will have to bear the repair costs yourself.'

Finally, this why you sould not do it. No recourse to insurance ombudsman.

'Because this Warranty is a discretionary product, it does not offer the same level of protection that an insurance policy may give
you. NWC is not an insurance company and we are not required to maintain the same financial resources that an insurance
company does. We do meet the ‘financial resources’ licence condition attached to our AFS licence.'

strudeltoowoomba
14th February 2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Everyone,

Hands up first, in that I work for Southern Cross Land Rover in Toowoomba, we sell the Allianz Warranty for the D3 (Bought one for Dad's 05 late last year). RRP is $1980 as it is what they deem a category 3 vehicle, cover is for 3 years from expiry of manufacturer's warranty or 60,000kms from the speedo reading at expiration of manufacturer's warranty.

The service guys tell me that they are quite good to deal with, I haven't personally claimed anything as yet on Dad's and mine is still under new car warranty.

Below is a quote that I have prepared this morning along with a copy of the Product Disclosure Statement as well as the required FSG.

Happy to offer a 10% discount to members. (If it is allowed with the site moderators).

Cheers

Steve Streidl
Strudeltoowoomba
steven@marven.com.au

CaverD3
14th February 2009, 12:31 PM
The Alianz PDS looks much better. :D

JohnR
14th February 2009, 08:42 PM
We just extended our warrenty for the 07 Defender by 4 years or 100,000km the policy looks good and they have waivered the $100 per claim fee. It was through Austral and the reason we jumped in 1.5 years early is they were about to have a big price rise on the 1st March. So who know's if it will pay off but if we do a big ticket item it's payed for itself straight away.

Cheers,

300+
15th February 2009, 12:18 PM
Interesting... Is the Austral policy the Allianz one as well, or is there a third on out there?

Cheers, Steve

dcc49
3rd March 2009, 12:47 PM
Had NWC cover for my Jeep - had a claim, no worries