PDA

View Full Version : Ozi-explorer maps or Built-in vector maps?

dusty disco
21st July 2008, 05:25 PM
Hi all

I am trying to make off-road navigation and route-note-taking a bit easier. I have been taking a 1:50k topographical map and finding my position using a GPS and the lat/long scales on the drawing - time consuming and difficult at that scale. It has been effective to draw on the map and make notes and comments etc. for future reference. The maps show contours and features, roads, tracks, powerlines, farm boundaries, state forests and so on.

I understand that Ozi-explorer uses 'dumb' scans of drawings. When downloaded to a Gps/PDA/Laptop this can then show on a moving map.

How does this compare to other GPS software which is electronic in nature (vector?)? such as DiscoverAus. Do these maps show the same level of detail?

And does any system allow you to add lines or notes to the map for later review?

Can anybody please comment - I need to get some advice here!

Thanks
Adrian

DaveF
22nd July 2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Adrian,

My suggestion would be to post your query on GPS Australia GPS Australia - powered by vBulletin (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/index.php)? There are threads relating to all manner of mapping scenarios.
Plus I dont know the answer to your question.:no2:

Cheers
DaveF

waynep
22nd July 2008, 10:00 AM
Not really sure what you're asking.

You can scan any paper map for use as a moving map with Oziexplorer, but you need to first import it into the Oziexplorer main PC Program and calibrate it. This means you need to have some sort of grid or reference points on the map itself to calibrate to. The topo map you describe will be Ok for that.

Once calibrated with the main OziExplorer program, you can then download it into a PDA and run it as a moving map using Ozi CE.
You can mark and label waypoints, events, points of interest with comments etc.

But make it easier on yourself. Most of the topo maps for Australia have already been scanned and calibrated for use with OziExplorer, you just need to find someone who has the files. ( or buy it in data format from a Map shop ).

As for the proprietary mapping products from Magellan etc like DiscoverAus, I haven't had any experience with it but a few mates who have it seem to like it.

rmp
22nd July 2008, 02:43 PM
The level of detail is a function of the map itself, not whether it is raster or vector. That said, a raster map ("dumb image") will not show more or less detail as it is scaled in out. A vector will.

Ozi does allow annotations to the map with events, waypoints, routes and more. You typically cannot do this with vectors.

Good raster maps are easier to read than good vectors as raster maps can have rich detail, colours and shading. But a good vector is easier to read than bad raster.

Autorouting requires vectors so it can calculate distance.

Systems that use vectors tend to offer very map options. Systems that use raster tend to offer a very wide variety.

dusty disco
22nd July 2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for your replies

I think I have a better idea now. It is good to hear that OziExp can accomodate notes etc added, I wonder if this can be done in the field on your laptop or PDA, as opposed to later back at home on the main PC?

I am sure all will be revealed once I buy something - but until then I need to form more of an idea. Thanks for assistance so far.

rmp
22nd July 2008, 06:20 PM
Can be done in the field if using Oziexplorer. If using OziexplorerCE, yes but the options are more limited. You're better off doing all that work on your desktop/laptop before you use it as a moving-map.