PDA

View Full Version : half a day on a hoist... and a slow speedo

incisor
26th July 2008, 08:02 PM
wandered down to blknights place this morning to get a little work done on the red rattler.

fitted new engine and gearbox mounts (boy that dave fella can swear i tell ya!) the gearbox mounts went fine, the engine mounts kept the big fella entertained for a bit longer that he had bargained for but being the man he is he got there in the end..

dropped all the fluids and replaced the filters as required... just need to grease the unis tomorrow and thats most of the lube done..

confirmed my suspicions that it needs a new clutch on a hill out the back of bardon... good fun with stuffed mounts and a red light on a steep hill!

made some really interesting sounds as it slipped and bunny hopped trying to get enough inertia to get over the crest..

as for the slow speedo..

got 7.50x16's on it at present and at 90 kph on the speedo it is doing almost 100kph.

it has an lt85 5 speed and an lt230 transfer

sound like disco ratios in the transfer?

or is there a ratio option for the gearbox ?

or just a gog for the speedo cable drive?

or ?

justinc
26th July 2008, 08:10 PM
wandered down to blknights place this morning to get a little work done on the red rattler.

fitted new engine and gearbox mounts (boy that dave fella can swear i tell ya!) the gearbox mounts went fine, the engine mounts kept the big fella entertained for a bit longer that he had bargained for but being the man he is he got there in the end..

dropped all the fluids and replaced the filters as required... just need to grease the unis tomorrow and thats most of the lube done..

confirmed my suspicions that it needs a new clutch on a hill out the back of bardon... good fun with stuffed mounts and a red light on a steep hill!

made some really interesting sounds as it slipped and bunny hopped trying to get enough inertia to get over the crest..

as for the slow speedo..

got 7.50x16's on it at present and at 90 kph on the speedo it is doing almost 100kph.

it has an lt85 5 speed and an lt230 transfer

sound like disco ratios in the transfer?

or is there a ratio option for the gearbox ?

or just a gog for the speedo cable drive?

or ?

Hi Dave,

There are several different colour coded speedo gears available, you need the one to suit 110's with 750/16's, as they are interchangeable for tyre sizes. Since all 110's, RR's and discos etc run 3.54:1 diffs, they changed speedo gears to compensate for the fitted tyre sizes. Can't recall the correct colour, but grey rings a bell??? Anyone???
My RRc ran green in the LT230 from the factory.
JC

C H T
26th July 2008, 08:11 PM
Fit a Defender speedo drive cog to the Transfer case (behind the handbrake backing point) and the speedo should ba about right

CHT

Larns
26th July 2008, 08:15 PM
Isn't that "speedo problem" standard issue for defenders:D

I'm prettty sure you can get a different count tooth drive gear that will fix that problem.
I sovled the problem by getting a VDO digital/analoge speedo head, you go out with a GPS and calibrate it on the highway. Havn't been booked yet so I hold's it's calibration pretty well. And havin'g the beute Isuzu motor it has passed the vibration test:D

:twobeers:

Larns
26th July 2008, 08:17 PM
Damn people are fast 2night!!

incisor
26th July 2008, 09:13 PM
Isn't that "speedo problem" standard issue for defenders:D

this is the opposite way round, reading slow....:D

JDNSW
27th July 2008, 06:14 AM
this is the opposite way round, reading slow....:D

You are right Dave, standard issue is reading around 7-10% faster than actual speed. If it is at all erratic, I would suspect the traditional problem of the speedo gear slipping on the output shaft because it is not pinched tight by the nut on the end of the shaft, but if there is no jumping about this is unlikely, and the answer is probably as suggested, wrong gear on the end of the cable. If it has a Disco gear this is in the right direction unless my mind is not working properly this morning, as the standard disco tyres are smaller in diameter - I think.

John

dobbo
27th July 2008, 06:34 AM
Good to see Dave still swears when he's not using my blunt drill bits and cheap, crap, paperweights that resemble the general shape of spanners.

Blknight.aus
27th July 2008, 06:43 AM
yes but the swear words as well as appropriate referencing to the grinders and welders almost always encourages mechanical things to do what I want them to......

dobbo
27th July 2008, 06:52 AM
yes but the swear words as well as appropriate referencing to the grinders and welders almost always encourages mechanical things to do what I want them to......

I love it when he talks dirty as he works.

It's when he stops work, stares at you and calls out Belgium or has a longwinded description that could interpreted as calling the owner of the vehicle (ie me) a FW.

Happens to me a lot.