PDA

View Full Version : What price a s1

Olive Drab
8th August 2008, 07:06 PM
Aguy up the road from me has a series 1 not sure on the exact model etc. other than it is a swb. It will require a total resto, has not not run for about 5 years. A fair description would be a basketcase. It appears to be complete and not too rusty. $1200 is his aksing price and it seems no room to move on the price either. Considering the amount of work required is this a fair price.

Rangier Rover
8th August 2008, 07:15 PM
They seem to bring around that these days from what I've seen. If its real bad go round it and find a better one. Also depends on if its a late 40s or early 50s. Any history and originality. Sounds a bit dear if its a real roughy. A few years ago I saw these things sold at clearing sales for around $200:eek:
I should have grabed them all:twisted:. Tony

chazza
8th August 2008, 08:49 PM
From your description it sounds ridiculously over-priced.

As a rough guide properly re-conditioned/restored:
Axles about $600 -$800 ea
Engine as high as $2000 or more
Gearbox $300 up to about $1500
Springs Front about $300; springs rear cost me $800 :eek:

So that gets you a rolling chassis with a power plant; goodness knows what the rest of it will cost me,

Cheers Charlie

dennisS1
8th August 2008, 08:53 PM
Need some pic's and a serial number (tells all) to have any ideas, questions like how original, how much rust in the metal bits, how straight etc.

DiscoDave
8th August 2008, 09:10 PM
Sounds like the seller knows what they are worth - if it is "complete" and "not too rusty" then it can't be a basket case imo. Depending on the year that may be a reasonable price.

JDNSW
8th August 2008, 09:36 PM
There is no such thing as a single price for a S1.

Obviously it depends on condition, but also depends on which model. 80" tend to be worth more, although parts are harder to find.

If it is an 80" and complete, it is probably worth that, even if very rough. But if it is an 86 or 88 it would have to be almost driveable to be worth that.

On the other hand, a special (documented) history could make it worth a lot more, even if it is a real basket case!

And as with any sale, the price depends on how badly he wants to sell it, and how many people want it and how badly - with vehicles like S1s , that change hands fairly infrequently, you could have identical (or the same) vehicles change hands a month apart, or on different sides of the country, with prices varying 2:1 or more.

John

Surly One
9th August 2008, 07:46 AM
I bought a 57 series 1 with two 2.25 diesels, a spare gearbox and other various bits for $600, cost me $300 to get a decent hardtop since though.
Price seems to vary a lot, depends how much they want to get rid of it.

dennisS1
9th August 2008, 11:16 AM
This may be of some use as a reference to my take on valuation.
This is a 1956, 86" that runs and drives, very little rust, 95% complete (missing tail lights and seat bases) all original, loom and brakes are shot but instruments are good including wiper motor, gear box and transfer box work, engine breaths pretty heavy but runs ok, carbie and fuel pump are good.
Rust in firewall over driver’s feet but good along the top, all body panels except the guards are pretty good windscreen is complete.
"Keyring not included".
My value $1,200 to $1,500.
Dennis

spudboy
9th August 2008, 11:47 AM
It is a real lottery. You can be really lucky and find someone who just wants it out of their garage or off of their property and get it for a bargain price, but that doesn't happen too often.

I found one in a farmer's paddock and he just wanted it gone. He only wanted $250, so it was a bargain, as it still drove reasonably well after 6 or so years of sitting there.

For pictures, see this really old thread. I reckon it would be worth $1000 to someone who wanted to restore it, so your mate asking $1200 is around the mark if the Chassis is not completely stuffed.

Here's the link: http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/45896-series-i-paddock-find-bought-spot.html

101RRS
9th August 2008, 12:05 PM
I bought my 57 series 1 88 last year - very rough but runs, is complete and is 100% original even down to positive earth and generator. I was able to drive it onto the trailer and off and drive it around my backyard - I probably paid a little more than I should - but it is absolutely original - it cost $1200.

Garry

Olive Drab
9th August 2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you all for your help, I'll do a calvin when I get over there next and see if i can come up with some more specific info. Comparing it to the pic that Dennis put up, Dennis' s1 looks to be 100 times better. I would stil love to get it though just trying to justify having 1200 bucks sitting in the shed for a long time. I suppose I have been a bit spoilt the 2a I have now only cost me 100 bucks plus brakes and lights.

spudboy
9th August 2008, 01:27 PM
Here's one on eBay at the moment. Reserve is $1600 for a 1949 80". Buy now price is $2,800.

Land Rover Series 1 80 inch 1949 - eBay 1940 - 1970, Collector Cars, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Aug-08 18:00:00 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Land-Rover-Series-1-80-inch-1949_W0QQitemZ330256958335QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10189 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

dennisS1
9th August 2008, 01:49 PM
The 49 is in fact a 50 and if he gets $2800 for it I may be selling some.
Dennis

series1buff
9th August 2008, 04:21 PM
We don't realise how fortunate we are . Try going through the classifieds or those horrible publications like JUST CARS or UNIQUE CARS and checking out the prices on various 'classic' cars ... You will see original EH Holdens going for 10 K dollars .. Many of those huge 1960's Yank Tank cars go for over 10k dollars .... in unrestored condition .

WW2 Jeeps are now 10-15 K for an average example . Series 1 Land Rovers are way down at the lower end of the scale ... I would have to say that old Land Rovers are next to worthless compared to nearly all other marques of cars. We series 1 nuts are in the Triumph Mayflower, Morris Oxford, Standard 10 and Austin A30 era !

Another reason is. Old Land Rovers are ubiquitous .. being what they are, a farm workhorse , a relatively high percentage of them have survived , albeit in horrid condition in many cases . I know of a 49 model in town here , it was still in use , putt putting around a steel merchants yard . The chassis under it is so rusty it is in danger of collapsing into two halves. But it was driveable .

I know of at least fifteen 80" around this area .

Mike

dennisS1
9th August 2008, 04:45 PM
SHHHHH dont tell anyone Mike, we dont want to be paying $80K like a rust Holden Mon something.
Dennis

JDNSW
9th August 2008, 05:42 PM
........ a relatively high percentage of them have survived .......
Mike

I think you just hit the nail on the head!

But this doesn't help with getting a price for a particular example! Just that unless it has a special history it will be way under $10,000 no matter how good it is.

John

101RRS
9th August 2008, 07:33 PM
WW2 Jeeps are now 10-15 K for an average example . Series 1 Land Rovers are way down at the lower end of the scale ... I would have to say that old Land Rovers are next to worthless compared to nearly all other marques of cars. We series 1 nuts are in the Triumph Mayflower, Morris Oxford, Standard 10 and Austin A30 era !
Mike

While I agree to some extent - most of the series 1 s that come up for sale are in crap condition - old holdens in simmilar dented, non going condition only sell for less that $1000 - likewise I have seen fully restored - not tarted up - series 1s sell for up to $35K - exceptional yes - top condition still sell around $10k. Unfortunatey we fill the dents with bog and give it a quick squirt of paint and call our landies restored - and wonder why they do not sell for big bucks.

Garry

ellard
10th August 2008, 07:18 AM
Here's one on eBay at the moment. Reserve is $1600 for a 1949 80". Buy now price is $2,800.

Land Rover Series 1 80 inch 1949 - eBay 1940 - 1970, Collector Cars, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Aug-08 18:00:00 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Land-Rover-Series-1-80-inch-1949_W0QQitemZ330256958335QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10189 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Ouch..........wish him well ($2800.00 ouch)

The 49 is in fact a 50 and if he gets $2800 for it I may be selling some.
Dennis

I hear you Dennis...

All the best

Wayne

Pedro_The_Swift
10th August 2008, 07:41 AM
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

worth every cent I reckon Garry:cool:

ellard
10th August 2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachments/series-i-land-rover-enthusiasts-section/10075d1218247439-what-price-s1-my-landie-1.jpg

I agree - very nice complette little vehicle.

Wayne

olmate
10th August 2008, 09:23 AM
Very nice Landy and well worth it. ;)

series1buff
10th August 2008, 02:05 PM
My comments were "tongue in cheek " to some degree. I love older Land Rovers , they have their good and bad points like any car I guess . After having rebuilt a WW2 Jeep, comparisons can be made.

Good points:

Mechanno set method of construction means it's easy to replace broken bits e.g., grill, radiator, bonnet, doors, tailgate and guards come off in a flash . Galvanizing ( I have never come across a rusted out windscreen frame ) . Seperate body tub made from flat panels . Repairable chassis if your have even average welding skills. Doors ! New panels can be made with basic equipment , doors and tailgate , tubs . Low gearing , 4 speed gearbox. Simple, utilitarian suspension system, no fancy gimmicks. To the makers credit, they made attempts to improve problem areas .

Bad points:

The birmabrite alloy is difficult to panel beat . Chassis open to rust problems. The IOE Engine has its idiosyncratic down points .

Mike

chazza
11th August 2008, 09:27 AM
Bad points:

The birmabrite alloy is difficult to panel beat .

Mike

I tend to agree, but with the emphasis on "flat panels" are difficult to panel beat. The alloy is so soft that I put away my hammer on the front wing curves and used the dolly to bump the dents up. Replacing flat panels is the easiest way to get a perfect finish.