PDA

View Full Version : Mediagate 450HD

RaZz0R
12th August 2008, 04:44 PM
:D Hi All!!

OK - this could be classed as a computer thing, but I think its more of a home theatre solution. I bought a cheap version then recently upgraded to a better version & it was all worth it, so much so 2 other mates of mine have bought them as well.

The item in question is a Mediagate 450HD made by A.L. Tech.
Welcome to A.L. Tech! - Multimedia Player, GPS System, Network (http://www.airlinktek.com/english/product.php?prod=mg450hd)

The Mediagate is well... a media streaming device - in other words, it can take Windows movie files, video, audio, MP3, Divx, Xvid, ISO images of DVD's & even still pictures & play them on your T.V.

It can use a hard drive installed inside of the device or it can stream over a computer network directly from your PC or laptop. (Sounds like a friggen sales pitch lol) But it can stream over both wireless & wired networks.

The first version I bought was called the MG45. Its a non high def version and as such - it can't play windows media 9 and above WMV files... which suxed since I have alot of bike rides & trips on WMV format from my digital camera.
It did however play Divx files, ISO, MP3 & most Xvid. Its network was also only 1MB a second which when you are trying to move that 60gig MP3 collection to it over the network meant you were leaving it on all night. There is however always USB2 - but after connecting it up to your T.V, you dont want to go unplugging it all to do that.

The new version, the MG450HD is of course the high def version. Its network speed is also faster @ 2.8MB a second so about 5mins per Divx/Xvid movie.
Both versions can be upgraded for new codec's & updates or even different colour menus & icons to use.
The high def uses both HDMI plugs or RGB plugs but it does reserve standard AV plus as well.

It also supports full 5.1 sound.

For those that have never heard of Divx or Xvid - they are a type of computer file. These are copies of full DVD's in DVD quality. Or the ISO file format as well - that one is a way to back up your DVD's to file & then replay them with this device.

While there are DVD/Divx players (Even blueray/Diva players) I found mostly they can't be updated for new codes or versions of Divx / Xvid - and then you still have to burn DVD/Blueray disc's & hope they work after the burn.
With the mediagate - you down errr... "backup" or download your movie/music files & watch/listen to them on the MG450HD.

You can buy them for 300 or under as well - but with no hard drive. (Which is fine as you can stream over your computer network) Over all - I'd say its fairly easy to setup - apart from the network setup - I'd say you would need medium experience with computer networks :)

Anyway - just wanted to do a review, I recommend them, they work well over wireless & wired networks (Wired always better) and play all files!

Cheers!!

http://www.airlinktek.com/english/img/prodimgB_mg350hd_img03.gif