PDA

View Full Version : Fact or fiction

ghoti
13th August 2008, 12:14 PM
Hi Folks,

New to Land Rovers and somewhat skeptical of some of the dealer info on my TD6 HSE. Perhaps some knowledgeable folk can set me straight.

1) Brake Replacements.
Had to have front disc pads and rotors replaced at 36K service, then the rears at 48K. Dealer says this is normal. I've never replaced rotors in cars, doing at least 150K in each. What is the expected life of rotors in a Disco that is basically not used offroad?

2) Wheel Aligment.
Dealer says air suspension need to sbe dealer-set in "Alignment mode" before aligning, and reset to normal afterwards. Tyre shops say thats rubbish. Both have a vested interest. Who is right?

Thanks in anticpation,
Scott

Camo
13th August 2008, 12:23 PM
With the brakes.. I'd say its normal

I'm on my 3rd front set on my 2004 Commodore SS and just hit 100k:mad:.. must be crap steel or something. My last car I had was a Honda Legend 1994 and my fronts lasted about 180k's:eek: both cars with same type of driving

has me beat why...

Camo

gghaggis
13th August 2008, 12:30 PM
The wheel alignment is a point of confusion. The dealers will all quote LR's advice, which is that the car's EAS must be put into a 'special' set state prior to alignment. There is indeed such a state, and it can only be accessed via TestBook (ie by a dealer), so that much is true.

However, a number of people have used independents, who have simply done the alignment with the car at the std height setting and they've had no out-of-the-ordinary wear issues.

If your car is out of alignment due to worn bushes, control arms etc, the alignment should be covered by warranty, so I guess the choice would be to use the dealer. Similarly if you're worried about subsequent problems with said parts.

OUt-of-warranty or out-of-range of a dealer, well it's not rocket-science, so as long as you have the correct figures to work from .....

Re the brake rotors, I've heard similar stories from some of the US owners - apparently you _can_ skim them, but only once, and some seem to have much higher wear than others?

Cheers,

Gordon

rangieman
13th August 2008, 12:34 PM

I'm on my 3rd front set on my 2004 Commodore SS and just hit 100k:mad:.. must be crap steel or something. My last car I had was a Honda Legend 1994 and my fronts lasted about 180k's:eek: both cars with same type of driving

has me beat why...

Camo
Nothing to do with crap material with the brakes , Its all to do with going away from asbestos in the brake pads for obvious reasons (health)

With out asbestos the heat transfer is very hard on the rotors which need either machining or replacing more often:cool:

Camo
13th August 2008, 12:38 PM
Nothing to do with crap material with the brakes , Its all to do with going away from asbestos in the brake pads for obvious reasons (health)

With out asbestos the heat transfer is very hard on the rotors which need either machining or replacing more often:cool:

I know what you mean.. but I ran normal pads on the Honda(non-asbestos)from supercrap and soft ones on the SS(from supercrap aswell).. still crap!.. wish I got more k's out of them

Only like 120 bucks to replace the fronts.. easier than machining

Camo

rangieman
13th August 2008, 12:57 PM
I know what you mean.. but I ran normal pads on the Honda(non-asbestos)from supercrap and soft ones on the SS(from supercrap aswell).. still crap!.. wish I got more k's out of them

Camo
With the ss try and get the police pads if you can
or fit premium pads

My wifes ford had brake shudder which is common for most new cars with out asbestos in the pads:cool:
I fitted premium pads and in 500 ks no shudder;)

ghoti
13th August 2008, 01:26 PM

has me beat why...

Camo

3rd set?? My 2002 VY Commodore S has 120K and about to get the rotors machined for the first time - third set of pads tho.

48000K service plus rear pads and rotors cost $1500, a heck of a lot dearer than Commodores that's for sure!

CaverD3
13th August 2008, 02:49 PM
1) Brake Replacements.
Had to have front disc pads and rotors replaced at 36K service, then the rears at 48K. Dealer says this is normal. I've never replaced rotors in cars, doing at least 150K in each. What is the expected life of rotors in a Disco that is basically not used offroad?

Pads yes they go quick. Rotors should only need machining, (possibly over servicing?) I even asked them not to machine mine till next time; I'm on 53K.

2) Wheel Aligment.
Dealer says air suspension need to sbe dealer-set in "Alignment mode" before aligning, and reset to normal afterwards. Tyre shops say thats rubbish. Both have a vested interest. Who is right?

True; but you can risk getting it done without having it set it just depends where the the auto leveling settles before alignment is done. Just more accurate if set before hand.

Jamo
13th August 2008, 04:23 PM
You really only need the car put into the setting mode if there's been some work done on the suspension or it's had bush settle. For normal alignments its not that necessary.

gghaggis
13th August 2008, 04:39 PM
True; but you can risk getting it done without having it set it just depends where the the auto leveling settles before alignment is done. Just more accurate if set before hand.

Good point - I guess you could pull the fuse (#35) and disable any suspension movement prior to doing the alignment then?

Cheers,

Gordon

RichardK
13th August 2008, 09:50 PM
I had mine done by Bridgestone, has been great ever since, the alignment was well out.
Have done 110,000 kms on six BFG AT's have 5 left and possible another 10000 left in them.

inside
13th August 2008, 10:51 PM
48000K service plus rear pads and rotors cost $1500, a heck of a lot dearer than Commodores that's for sure!

See owning a european car, taking it in and saying fix it always costs more than it should. But money can be saved if you do a little research. Go to Disc Brakes Australia - DBA PERFORMANCE CATALOGUE (http://www.dba.com.au/product_search_dev.php) pick the details and then take note of the DBA number. Head on down to SuperCheap and order the discs.

On my Peugeot I can buy $600 discs if I want to or buy DBA discs at $130. DBA make Disco 3 discs and you can even get 4000 Series XS (premium cross-drilled & slotted) discs if you want.

Tombie
13th August 2008, 11:15 PM

Camo

Hahaha, maybe your harder on brakes than you realise :cool:

I use to wear out a set of rotors in 20k on the Tickford

It had 6 pots and metal pads