PDA

View Full Version : 80series landcruiser coils into d1??

long stroke
15th August 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi there:)
I'm thinking of giving the disco a 3" coil lift (i don't want to go the body lift yet) i've heard on other forums that people have been putting standard 80 series landcruiser coils into d1's and it gives them a 3" lift.
I heard that you can only do it to the front by flipping the spring seat, but i'm interested in if you can do it to the rear aswell?? so if anyone has heard anything about this can you let me know?

CHEERS TIM.

seqfisho
16th August 2008, 05:29 AM
Never heard that before, and why would you when perfectly good springs for D1's are available. I think the seat ends are a different size anyway.

You may be confused with using 80 series shocks, as this has been done before as they have a longer open length available.

dobbo
16th August 2008, 06:43 AM
I heard you can do both the front and the back and achieve 4 inches, like previously posted there are a lot of other (read better) options available. I think that amount of lift may cause other issues with caster balls, uni joints and the general handling of the vehicle.

Like all other urban legends, try and find someone who knows what they are doing and has actually done the mod, I doubt you will, but if you can find them, talk to them about any other issues that have needed to be addressed with the cheap fix.

With the relative cheap cost of D1 springs and shocks you may only pay a bit more for new uprated springs than you would for a pair of used 80 series springs from the wreckers anyway.

Ken
16th August 2008, 07:28 AM
You can save yourself a lot of trouble and strife by having a look here www.suspensionstuff.com.au they have all the lift you will need for a D1 without unecessary modification ;)

long stroke
16th August 2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the reply's looks like the 2" lovells on suspensionstuff are the go!
Do you think i'd fit 32" tyres on off-set rims under a 2" lift and guard trip??

CHEERS TIM.

V8Landy
16th August 2008, 08:42 AM
I run 32's under a 2" lift but have done a qauter chop aswell,Still just touch's so a bit more will come off the entire wheel arch.I'm going to take a bit out of the front aswell as they have just touched there(Really just a rub).The thick red line is where i have choped it and the red arrow is where it has touched again,The rough blue line is where i'm going to get it cut and folded right around.Hope this helps.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chopfu5.jpg)

long stroke
16th August 2008, 09:38 AM
I run 32's under a 2" lift but have done a qauter chop aswell,Still just touch's so a bit more will come off the entire wheel arch.I'm going to take a bit out of the front aswell as they have just touched there(Really just a rub).The thick red line is where i have choped it and the red arrow is where it has touched again,The rough blue line is where i'm going to get it cut and folded right around.Hope this helps.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3126/chopfu5.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chopfu5.jpg)

Thanks V8landy:)
Are they off-set disco rims or standard? and i'm not shore if i can cut to much off the front of the rear guard as mine is a 4door.
But i will for shore cut some off the rear...thanks for the pick it might come in handy.

CHEERS TIM.

AlaskaRover
8th April 2011, 07:31 AM
First hand experience here. The FRONT 80 series coils put into the front of a DISCO will give the front 3" of lift, the REAR 80 series coils give you ZERO lift in the rear of a disco. I did this........ FRONT 80 series coils in the REAR of my Discovery. Then I put the stock REAR Disco springs in the front of my disco. This combo gave me a 2" lift all the way around. No need to change shocks and no caster issues. Rear end is kinda soft however for carrying lots of gear. I run 245 75 R16's on stock rims MTR's wonderfully.

tassydisco
11th April 2011, 07:17 PM
i have put 80 series shocks in the front of my D1 and 2 inch extended Nissan gq patrol shocks in the rear. had to build new shock mounts in the rear to suit, but this combo gives you longer travel over D1 shocks. Kept all land rover springs tho