PDA

View Full Version : Noise after first acceleration

D3Docker
27th August 2008, 01:19 PM
Gday Guys,
First post but have used this site numerous times to help sort out issues. One that I cant sort out and neither can the two dealers in Perth :( is between 15-20 kmh, a sound resembling something spring actuated is heard from the front of the car and felt through the accelerator pedal. Only occurs on the first take off after car has been turned off and restarted and is the same regardless of how long the car has been off. It sometimes causes the light on the dash info screen to flicker. Noise has always been there and may be part of normal operation but has become more noticeable. The dealer thought it may have something to do with the EPB but couldnt find anything wrong with it. Its a 2005 SE Pertol V6 with 64000km on the clock and I have owned it for about 12 months.
Anybody come across this on there car.

Cheers
Simmo

PCH
27th August 2008, 03:14 PM
Gday Guys,
It sometimes causes the light on the dash info screen to flicker.
Cheers
Simmo

What light are you referring to? Is this a warning light or a message in the LCD screen between the speedo and tacho?

Do you find that the D3's performance is affected in anyway when the "sound resembling something spring actuated is heard"?

Chris

D3Docker
27th August 2008, 03:46 PM
It is the backlight on the message centre screen between the speedo and tacho and performance is not affected in any way. It is like something is disengaging.

WhiteD3
6th September 2008, 04:42 PM
Gday Guys,
First post but have used this site numerous times to help sort out issues. One that I cant sort out and neither can the two dealers in Perth :( is between 15-20 kmh, a sound resembling something spring actuated is heard from the front of the car and felt through the accelerator pedal. Only occurs on the first take off after car has been turned off and restarted and is the same regardless of how long the car has been off. It sometimes causes the light on the dash info screen to flicker. Noise has always been there and may be part of normal operation but has become more noticeable. The dealer thought it may have something to do with the EPB but couldnt find anything wrong with it. Its a 2005 SE Pertol V6 with 64000km on the clock and I have owned it for about 12 months.
Anybody come across this on there car.

Cheers
Simmo

Definitely not normal. Does it do it at night? I wonder if it's the auto headlights coming on, then going off once you're in daylight. Try it with the lights in the off position instead of auto.

D3Docker
6th September 2008, 06:02 PM
It does it day and night regardless of the headlight setting. I wish it was something as easy as that. Its a strange one as it does it at the same speed everytime at first take off and gear selection also has no effect. Whether its first or second gear it still does it.

WhiteD3
6th September 2008, 08:56 PM
Have you enquired here?

DISCO3.CO.UK - Index (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/index.php)

D3Docker
6th September 2008, 11:09 PM
Sure have. Hasent been to many responses on there either. Generally they have an answer for everything but this just seems to be one of these strange Land Rover things.

sniegy
7th September 2008, 08:20 PM
Have u driven another vehicle of same yr, mileage & spec to see if it is part of the vehicle's electronics function. There are a lot of system checks that happen & u may..may..find it is part of the vehicle.
Just another thought.

Davirob
12th September 2008, 03:47 PM
Simmo

I have noticed that my V6 makes what I would describe as a clunk under similar circumstances as you describe, ie first thing in the morning. I didn't think much of it until I saw your post, but have now confirmed it. I would also like to know what causes it, or if it is a cause for concern!

Rob

djhampson
13th September 2008, 02:21 PM
Could it be the ABS \ TC thingo? I.e is it the same type of noise as the ABS makes when the wheels are locking up?

My FL2 gives the ABS \ TC a quick squirt just after you drive off after it has been started. The brakes don't actually go on or anything but you hear a tick tick tick noise as it does it.

D3Docker
13th September 2008, 04:51 PM
It doesnt sound like the ABS. Im hoping to take another one for a drive in the next month to see if that does the same but it looks like yours is doing it as well Rob. Hopefully it is normal but you would think the dealers would know what it is if its supposed to do it.

D3Docker
29th October 2008, 03:37 AM
After numerous visits to the dealer they seem to think it is an ABS check but are not 100%. They cant find any reference to it in any manuals. I have driven a 2008 D3 and there seemed to do something similar but it was barely noticable. You really had to be looking for it whereas mine is quite pronounced. It doesnt seem to be getting any worse so hopefully it is part of normal operation, just a bit more noticable on my car.

Tombie
29th October 2008, 05:48 AM
Sounds like a sticking park brake mechanism disengaging as you drive off.

ladas
29th October 2008, 07:56 AM
I don't know how similar the D2 is to the D3, but on the D2, at about 20 kph after the first start the suspension valve block goes through a test - the sound and the feel is exectly as you describe..........however I do not get any light on the dash.

On the D2 this is a normal check process.

..............but as I say I don't know if it's the same components as the D3