PDA

View Full Version : USB GPS advice please

LandyAndy
4th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys
Been folowing a few on EBay.
Any reccomendations wich are best and wich are best avoided???
Dont mind paying the $$$ for a good one,dont want to but a useless or ordinary one.
Prefer magnetic fix rather than permanent.
Any advice please.
Thanks
Andrew

McDisco
4th September 2008, 09:24 PM
Andrew

If you have the option I would go bluetooth. So much easier to use, no wires etc etc. I have one which I run with oziexplorer and it is great. It uses a SIRF III chipset (which I have no idea what it is) that runs 20 channels. I dont lose satellite coverage even in the heaviest vegetation and gullies.

Cheers

Angus

p38arover
4th September 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure about Bluetooth. It does depend on whether your PC can accept more than one paired Bluetooth accessory. Having said that, I do like the fact that it should keep lock providing you have a power supply to it. It seems quite a few don't have the ability to run off a car power supply but need batteries.

I have a USB magnetic base GPS mouse - a GlobalSat BU-353 which works very well.

d@rk51d3
5th September 2008, 07:32 AM
I've got the Holux GPSlim 236..... I think. SIRF III, Uses bluetooth primarily, but also has USB available if you need it. Picked it up for about $70 (ebay), then just needed the usb cable, which was a fairly standard unit.

All up, just a little bigger than a matchbox, or two. (not magnetic based though)

Xavie
5th September 2008, 07:40 AM
Regarding bluetooth.... I have 2 and they often drop out. I did not learn from the first one I bought the 2nd one it is different but still drops out a lot. And when you don't notice you can have several kms of track not mapped. I'd go usb if I did it again.

I would of thought as long as it has the sirf 3 chipset you'd be right.

Sorry I can't help with the actual question Landyandy.

Utemad
5th September 2008, 07:43 AM
I've got a CF card Holux and it also has the sirf-III thing. Much better satellite reception than my Garmin Etrex. I got the CF card as I use it in my PDA and sometimes used it in my old laptop with a PCMCIA adapter.

Even with the sirf-III thing it will work better outside the car or with an external antenna. Especially in bad weather, gullies, forests etc. As even if it holds a lock in these conditions it won't be a very good one.

I'm not a fan of bluetooth. I prefer the cable as even though cables can get messy it is better than having to screw with a pairing whenever it feels like not playing the game.

From memory when I bought mine from Ebay, Holux was the brand to get. You could buy the same brand/models in reputable shops here if you wanted. That was about 4 years ago now.

Basil135
5th September 2008, 08:21 AM
This is the same as the one that I bought:

NEW 54 CHANNEL BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER PDA TOMTOM MOBILE - eBay, GPS, Electronics. (end time 05-Sep-08 20:00:00 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-54-CHANNEL-BLUETOOTH-GPS-RECEIVER-PDA-TOMTOM-MOBILE_W0QQitemZ370081751416QQihZ024QQcategoryZ342 88QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

So far, so good.... It doesn't have a magnet base, rather a sticky pad that sits on the dash. I connect to it with Bluetooth, and haven't had any problems with it dropping out.

The acquisition time is good, and it seems to be able to pick up the signal in the urban jungle ok. I tried it while driving thru the middle of the city, and no dramas so far.

p38arover
5th September 2008, 01:14 PM
The acquisition time is good, and it seems to be able to pick up the signal in the urban jungle ok. I tried it while driving thru the middle of the city, and no dramas so far.

What is a pain with nav software is telling one to turn after one has passed the turn off. That happened regularly with my old PDA system and just as often with our new system. If you travel at 30-40 km/h it's usually OK but not in densely packed urban areas where the streets are close together.

sschmez
5th September 2008, 01:35 PM
I got one similar to this from fleabay a while ago (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/QSTARZ-BT-Q1000-Platinum-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-Logger_W0QQitemZ370080866270QQihZ024QQcategoryZ342 88QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) (same brand, older??model, similar features)

I've been happy with it...

pre laptop I used it as a logger and then downloaded tracks when I got home to view in Google earth

now I use it with ozi on the laptop with either bluetooth or USB connx. It came with an additional battery, 240v charger and 12v car charger. sometimes I connect with USB so the laptop can charge it, otherwise I've just used bluetooth and have found the bluetooth to be quite reliable. The unit itself is quite small and sits in the middle of the disco dash right up to the windscreen quite nicely. I do get slightly random tracks sometimes but overall happy.

Yorkshire_Jon
5th September 2008, 02:41 PM
This is the same as the one that I bought:

NEW 54 CHANNEL BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER PDA TOMTOM MOBILE - eBay, GPS, Electronics. (end time 05-Sep-08 20:00:00 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-54-CHANNEL-BLUETOOTH-GPS-RECEIVER-PDA-TOMTOM-MOBILE_W0QQitemZ370081751416QQihZ024QQcategoryZ342 88QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

So far, so good.... It doesn't have a magnet base, rather a sticky pad that sits on the dash. I connect to it with Bluetooth, and haven't had any problems with it dropping out.

I didnt think there was that many satellites to lock onto:D:D

Yorkshire_Jon
5th September 2008, 02:43 PM
I have a USB magnetic base GPS mouse - a GlobalSat BU-353

If you need the magnetic base then this would definitely be my choice too. If not, its bigger brother the MR-350 as its completely waterproof (marine grade).

Regards,
Jon

rmp
5th September 2008, 03:55 PM
All good advice.

Re the 54-satellite receiver; LOL.

There are only about 21 birds in total. Of which you'll be very lucky to see more than 12 at any point on the globe. And the quality of your fix doesn't really change beyond 6-8, it's a law of diminishing returns with triangulation. So ignore that particular little marketing hype.

Note that Bluetooth GPSRs still require power so not quite cordless. They can also be used with just about any computer, USBs require something with USB host.

simonl8353
5th September 2008, 04:09 PM
Im still using this Globalsat BU-353. No problem at all.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/gps/55292-gps-receiver-usb-bluetooth.html

I didnt buy blue tooth since its more back up batteries that have to be carried.

LandyAndy
6th September 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks for ALL the helpfull input.
Was about to buy the one that Ron mentioned.Now I will.
The laptop has bluetooth but I think I will stick to cables.
Next question is TFT screens,new thread.
Thanks Guys.
Andrew

McDisco
6th September 2008, 09:35 PM
I've got the Holux GPSlim 236..... I think. SIRF III, Uses bluetooth primarily, but also has USB available if you need it. Picked it up for about $70 (ebay), then just needed the usb cable, which was a fairly standard unit.

All up, just a little bigger than a matchbox, or two. (not magnetic based though)

yeah I think this is the one I have...its good.

p38arover
6th September 2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks for ALL the helpfull input.
Was about to buy the one that Ron mentioned.Now I will.
The laptop has bluetooth but I think I will stick to cables.
Next question is TFT screens,new thread.
Thanks Guys.
Andrew

I bought a new 7" widescreen format Lilliput touchscreen from the USA a couple of weeks ago for less than I could get one from China or Hong Kong.

Dunno if it would have been better to get an Eee PC.

p38arover
6th September 2008, 11:30 PM
Note that Bluetooth GPSRs still require power so not quite cordless. They can also be used with just about any computer, USBs require something with USB host.

Neither of my laptops have Bluetooth but both have USB.

jiataowill
2nd October 2008, 10:00 AM
If the GPS unit is used in a Vehicle, the fist thing u need to know is operating temperature, the best is between -20c and 80c, while most of the bluetooth units only work between 0 and 50, it takes time to make the unit working if u leave ur car under the sun for a long time in the summer.
Secondly, do not choose MTK chipset, Sirf 3 is the most reliable and fastest.:p

LOVEMYRANGIE
2nd October 2008, 02:35 PM
Best of both worlds......
Garmin Colorado which will run on its own PLUS Garmin nRoute software on PC which is actually FREE, yes thats FREE from Garmin website.
The USB connection from the laptop will power the Colorado, you get full screen lappo display with audible turn by turn plus all track, route etc etc.

If you want to go for a wander on foot, just unplug it from the lappo and away you go.

As I do a fair bit of geocaching while I am out and about, this is for me the much better option.

And as I have Alpine DVD in car system, I can plug the video out from the laptop into the AV switch, put the lappo in the back and just watch it on screen! :clap2:B)