PDA

View Full Version : Rangie auto and engine cooling

walker
7th September 2008, 04:41 PM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on oil coolers for the auto and engine on the Rangie.

I will be running the old ZF auto behind a 4.6. Are the standard oil coolers ok or should I be upgrading.

Also shoudl I be looking at an engine oil cooler?

The Rangie is going to get a hard time and it is only for offroad work. It will be a ute with 35's and all the gear.

My thoughts are to ditch the standard cylindrical auto oil cooler and mount a small cooler with thermo fan on the back of the ute. I could then put a small oil cooler for the engine in front of the radiator. It is not running air con.

justinc
7th September 2008, 04:54 PM
A 4.6 P38a auto trans cooler and engine oil cooler should be more than adequate Walker. We've fitted a few to D1's and Classic V8's and diesels, and they are way big enough for the ZF.

They would be better mounted on the tray with a fan as they are out of the mud etc.:)

They are both quite large, and alloy so will transfer heat very well. There are also plenty of wrecked 4.6Hse'a about, and the oil line fittings are all standard LR too!

JC

rrturboD
7th September 2008, 04:54 PM
I used a HSE style transmission cooler for the ZF, in my RR. Have no experience of other oilcoolers, but given the option when we were installing it all, went for the bigger unit. It is sitting in front of the radiator and Aircond condensor etc.

350RRC
7th September 2008, 08:08 PM
Twin thermo fans and switches behind radiator for $250 and keep every thing cool, especially on hot days working hard at not much speed.

cheers.

walker
7th September 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks all. Yes it has twin thermos on the radiator, but I don't like the idea of sandwiching 2 or 3 radiators at the fron, it just gives the mud somewhere to hide. I will look aound for a P38 cooler.

big guy
7th September 2008, 08:41 PM
Good idea, try running synthetic oil as it runs cooler.

they have plenty of oil coolers at TRS.
Good luck.

sclarke
8th September 2008, 06:21 AM
any pix of the P38a Cooler???

r.over
8th September 2008, 06:33 PM
I will look aound for a P38 cooler.
Getting hard to find these days.
There are many aftermarket transmission coolers that will do a good job, just get the largest you can. Would also invest in a engine oil cooler.