PDA

View Full Version : nikon d40, thoughts please

bblaze
15th September 2008, 10:06 PM
Has any one got one/using one, interested in peoples thoughts. I have had ddigital cameras for years (purchased the first 2 in tassie many moons ago). I know its not up to the likes of the cannon dx40? etc but it seems like a reasonable entry level true DSLR. In the past I have had digital SLR cameras with fixed lens with the only option being screw on lense filters ect. Seems to be lots of bits available for this model on evil bay also. Down fall is its only 6.1 mega pixels but lays to claim that a true 13" x 19" pic can be printed, this would allow a fair bit of cropping and still produce a decent size print,
cheers
blaze

dullbird
16th September 2008, 07:13 AM
has been superseeded if you have the money go a nikon D60 got the sensor out of a D300 more bang for buck i reckon....discowhite has just got one ask him what he thinks of it

dmdigital
16th September 2008, 04:13 PM
D40 is a reasonable entry level DSLR, but as DB has said, D60 is the newer replacement and has more to offer. That coupled with an 18-200 lens isn't a bad starting kit. The Canon EOS 40D/50D is the next level up. It was always the equivalent to the Nikon D200/D300 but recent reviews I've seen compare them to the Nikon D80/D90.

big guy
16th September 2008, 09:03 PM
All Nikon gear is good, so is Canon.

Quality and performance is relative and directly proportional to the price.
get what you pay.

New Canon gear is good but plasticy, Nikon more solid.

Canon is cheaper.

I have a Nikon D70s with Nikkor 18-70mm lens for sale.
I seldom used it, now not at all.
All books, acc and original packaging.
Yours for $600.
Absolutely mint.
6.1mp.
Its not the Pixels that matter but the software that records and processes all the info.
A compact with 12mp is nothing like the D70.

Have a great day.

dmdigital
16th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Nice!

I'm tempted to buy that and do an IR conversion.... but I think SWMBO would be upset and I still want a D700:D

bblaze
17th September 2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the replys, ended up ordering the D40 yesterday for $590. At the time I nearly got the D60 but couldnt really justify the extra dollars for what I want in a camera these days.
cheers
blaze

__Will__
17th September 2008, 08:45 AM
I'm sure you will be happy with it :) I've had a D40X for just over a year now, and can't complain. It's the lenses that are going to cost you the money though. As long as you buy decent lenses, you can always upgrade to a better body at a later date if you wish, and still enjoy the quality of good glass with better functions. Enjoy!