PDA

View Full Version : Knocking sound

agrojnr
18th September 2008, 04:36 PM
I have a load knocking sound in 1st and reverse plus also no low ratio can the 2 be connected some how or not???

The gearbox is an early IIa but all other gears are fine just have the problem with the other 2

Adam

JDNSW
18th September 2008, 05:11 PM
First and reverse share the same gear, and the symptom suggests the gear has a damaged or missing tooth. This will not affect the other gears.

As this is in the main gear box and low range is in the transfer case, there is no connection. The transfer gears can be inspected by removing the bottom plate and having a look - my guess is a selector problem, perhaps the selector fork loose on its shaft.

It is not as easy to see what is happening in the main gearbox, although you may be able to see something with the top off, or drain the oil and check what comes out for bits of metal. However, to fix the main gearbox, it will have to come out.

John

isuzurover
18th September 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi Adam,

JD is likely spot on. The layshaft 1st gear has probably lost/chipped a tooth. Quite common.

Low range could be a number of things.

I am happy to come and have a look if you want. I have rebuilt quite a few series boxes, so happy to help.