PDA

View Full Version : Be gentle with your light switch, passion fingers

ramblingboy42
18th September 2008, 07:02 PM
ok all you hamfisted guys and gals out there.....be gentle with your light switch.....the headlamp stalk I'm talking about.....I wasn't very gentle with mine this morning and I twisted it too hard or something and it turned into a rotary switch.....well , not a switch cause it then wouldn't turn my lights off, so I had to pull fuses to turn off my lights, then I had to put them back in when I drove home, then I rang the friendly Land Rover dealer and it's only going to cost $700 replace it ..........mobile auto elecs didn't wanna touch it...."has it got an airbag in the steering wheel mate?" etc......so the moral of the story is use genuinely passionate touches with your light stalk.....

JDNSW
18th September 2008, 08:12 PM
They started to go down hill with the Series 3 - before that the switchgear was reasonably robust. Also reasonably priced!

John

2 rocks
18th September 2008, 09:18 PM
RB42
Ouch!!!
What model are we talking about?
I had to have a new wiper stalk on the D2 about a year ago (they wouldn't come on, or would wait a minute or two before they did).
Think it was about $380! Damned if I can see why the headlight one would be more? It doesn't have a rheostat (for the intermittant settings) like wipers do!
Mike

olbod
19th September 2008, 09:52 AM
Think I would just put an after market type switch on the dash.

BMKal
19th September 2008, 10:34 AM
RB42
Ouch!!!
I had to have a new wiper stalk on the D2 about a year ago (they wouldn't come on, or would wait a minute or two before they did).
Think it was about $380! Damned if I can see why the headlight one would be more? It doesn't have a rheostat (for the intermittant settings) like wipers do!
Mike

Mine started doing the same last time I was home. Could get one pass of the wipers only by pushing down on the stalk, but could not turn the wipers "on" to any normal setting. Luckily, it came good after about half a dozen or so single passes with pushing the stalk down. I'm thinking maybe a worn or dirty contact - might try to pull it apart and clean if it does it again.

But I do remember having to replace the headlight switch in my RRC quite a few years ago. The cost even back then was scary - so I just fitted an after-market switch - managed to get one that I installed in the steering column in place of the original.

LavisLane
19th September 2008, 11:45 AM
I snapped a section off the indicator switch in my P38 last week - damn these ham hands! :(

martinozcmax
19th September 2008, 03:46 PM
RB42
Ouch!!!
Mike

Just bought a couple for a Disco 1 for under $50 for both. Definitely worth a look at eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace (http://www.ebay.co.uk) they are fairly easy to fit.

Good luck

Regards

Martin

51jay
19th September 2008, 08:48 PM
Got light stalk assembly for the vogue couple of weeks ago, $147 apparantly its the same as the Disco, whole thing just plugs in. Plastic clips top and bottom hold it in just like the harness plugs. About the quickest and easiest repair I've ever done on the Rangie.