PDA

View Full Version : mmm... which lens next!

matbor
21st September 2008, 10:53 PM
Have a spare $1k to spend on the camera ;) now not sure what lens to get or accessory !

Currently have :
Nikon D80
Nikon 18-200 VR
Nikon 50mm f1.8

Thinking of getting something secondhand, but not sure what ! also have been been looking at the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, looks pretty good.

Any ideas ?

Matt.

big guy
22nd September 2008, 08:27 AM
Hmm.
That Nikon is a killer pice of equipment.

Get a fish eye. Go to a shop and try a few out.

Fixed focal length in fish-eye will get much better quality but just see what they have, perhaps last season model for a bargain price.

I did that a few years back and was very happy.

From memory I think I bought a Sigma for my Nikon but that now seems like centuries ago.
Still used film and talk of digital was just starting to emerge.

Best of luck.
Frank

dullbird
22nd September 2008, 11:01 AM
well my next lens is a 70-200mm and once i have that i need a flash unit, then once i have that i'm looking at a nikon wide angle 2.8 the list just goes on :(

loanrangie
22nd September 2008, 01:35 PM
Definately a wide zoom, 12-24, 11-16, 10-20 etc. Sigma/ Tamron/tokina all make good lenses in this range.

dmdigital
22nd September 2008, 01:55 PM
24-70 Nikkor, that's my main lens now days. Fast and sharp :)

matbor
22nd September 2008, 02:24 PM

yeah, the budget is only $1k though !! I wish I had more !!

EchiDna
22nd September 2008, 02:36 PM
what do you shoot?

i.e. do you always find yourself using the zoom at one end or the other? AKA do you crave width or length *lol*

IMHO consider a set of genuine extension tubes and/or a teleconvertor, or keep saving and buy the lense you really want (like the 24-70 mentioned by DM)

matbor
22nd September 2008, 03:16 PM
what do you shoot?

i.e. do you always find yourself using the zoom at one end or the other? AKA do you crave width or length *lol*

IMHO consider a set of genuine extension tubes and/or a teleconvertor, or keep saving and buy the lense you really want (like the 24-70 mentioned by DM)

At the moment, love using my 50mm with the family & friends and also like taking landscapes. Trouble is the money is sitting there and if i don't spend it the wife will get onto it !! Either spend it now or kiss it goodbye, oh the joys of being married with a mortgage !!

loanrangie
28th September 2008, 12:28 PM

Except at a crop factor of x1.5 the 24mm becomes 36 mm :(.

dmdigital
28th September 2008, 01:41 PM
Except at a crop factor of x1.5 the 24mm becomes 36 mm :(.

All I can say is try one of these lenses. They are fantastic. Ys you loose on crop factor, but given my next body will be a D700 or similar FX I'm not worried, in fact I'm deliberately not buying DX lenses now as it gives me more flexibility in the future.