PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Series Landy for the first time in months - any suggestions?

Shonky
25th September 2008, 03:43 PM
I am picking up Ambrose (my new SIIA Bloodbox) tonight, but he hasn't been started since he went for a rego check in March.

Can anyone think of anything in particular I should do when starting?

I can't imagine I will have any issues, but if there are any inside hints that may help coax ol' Ambrose back into life then it would be good to know! :D

d@rk51d3
25th September 2008, 03:48 PM
A small squirt of engine oil in each cylinder, left overnight apparently works wonders. Helps prepare the rings for movement.

Just get ready for a bit of smoke next morning.

45tr0
25th September 2008, 04:03 PM
My odds are will start first time :thumbsup:

At a minimum, i'd do oil, filters, fluids and fuel before turning the key.
Going all out, you'd do fan belt, radiator hoses, plugs, leads and points as well, then get your hydraulics checked.

I'm going by my experience of towing my landy out of a horse paddock where it had sat for 12 months - Started first try on a fresh battery - but all these things needed attention within 4 weeks of revival.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/09/162.jpg

Shonky
25th September 2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys, but as I will be picking it up tonight, without tools, in a business suit on the side of a road in suburban sydney I think changing fluids and belts is a little out of the question...

All the consumables will get some attention in the coming weeks - just need to get it home tonight.

I agree - it should start quite happily, I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to "prepare it for the moment" as darky said.

Thanks fellas. :D

wovenrovings
25th September 2008, 04:09 PM
Clean the points.

Shonky
25th September 2008, 04:09 PM
I probably should have mentioned that I am driving it home - not towing it. ;)

I will be starting it in 2 hours - no overnight soakings here!

Shonky
25th September 2008, 04:35 PM
Thats what I wanted to hear NM. :)

I never bothered trying to start Gus - I was always going to pull that yucky red Holden engine out of it so I figured it wasn't worth wasting time trying to get it going...

Shonky
25th September 2008, 04:41 PM
LOL! Noted!

JDNSW
25th September 2008, 05:02 PM
All I can suggest is to prime the carbie using the hand primer, although this will not do any good to your suit or shirt.

But it will probably start without any problems anyway.

John

Shonky
25th September 2008, 05:08 PM
I just remembered that I brought my "Thursday Bag" with me today (being Thursday and all)

Most Thursday nights I go to TAFE for my Welding course. ;)

My Thursday Bag contains welding mask and gauntlets, boots and most importantly... OVERALLS. :D

I guess the suit will survive!

Slunnie
25th September 2008, 05:14 PM
Id just check there is oil in it, give the accelerator a pump or 3 and then hit the key. :D

Doesn't mean that is the best way of doing it... it's just what I'd do.

paulthepilot_5
25th September 2008, 06:50 PM
have you got a crank handle for it? probably a good idea to crank it over by hand a few times to loosen everything up.

Blknight.aus
25th September 2008, 07:03 PM
Id just take the fuel line off the carby, hand prime at least a liter out of the fuel system and then chuck in half a liter of metho, 20l of fresh fuel, put the line back on, prime the carby and kick er over. 8 months is but a drop in the ocean of time to old shcool landies if they havent been left to drink rainwater or eat dust.

Dinty
26th September 2008, 06:36 AM
G'day All, What happened to 'Shonky' overnight!!!? did Sydney swallow him up LOL:p anyway cheers and I will listen to the news this morning LOL Dennis:angel:

Scallops
26th September 2008, 07:36 AM
Can anyone think of anything in particular I should do when starting?
:D

Yep - wear a gas mask. :D

jacked130
26th September 2008, 09:18 AM
so, howd it go shonky, any problems?? get home ok??, more importantly is the suit ok:D

abaddonxi
26th September 2008, 09:40 AM
Saw it, started, hope they got home okay.

Cheers
Simon

LandyBen
29th September 2008, 08:25 PM
Our old 76' S3 had'nt been started for 2 months and with some 'start ya bastard', all was good. All fluids were ok, and seemed to cope ok.

rovercare
29th September 2008, 08:38 PM
Id just check there is oil in it, give the accelerator a pump or 3 and then hit the key. :D

Doesn't mean that is the best way of doing it... it's just what I'd do.

I like your style:cool:

Rangier Rover
29th September 2008, 09:06 PM
Why would it need oil in pots? The worn valve guides on ulp and less tension in rings from heat will have set plenty of oil in;) Imagine the smoke cloud.:D
Ive started series and holden here after years and no dramas if turn over easy. They all did.

He will likely rebuild it any way:angel:

Shonky
30th September 2008, 08:38 AM
Whoops! forgot about this thread!

Yep - as Simon said he started up quite happily once we put a new battery in him. ;)

NO issues, no smoke, a little bit of tappet noise but otherwise quiet and smooth. :D

Shonky
30th September 2008, 08:39 AM
He will likely rebuild it any way:angel:

:angel:

Gotta do one for Gus first!