PDA

View Full Version : Codan 9350 on the back of a Defender?

jik22
29th September 2008, 09:37 AM
Has anyone fitted a 9350 to the rear of their Defender, and if so, how did you mount it? Any pics would be appreciated, as would pointers to available mounts.

Heggs
20th November 2008, 08:12 PM
Did you ever get the rear mount made, I am trying to do the same thing and cant seam to find anything commercially that will work. Looks like I will have to have a bracket made

p38arover
20th November 2008, 08:43 PM
Jeff, have you seen these mounts (at bottom of linked page):

HF Radio Antennas & Accessories (http://www.lakecomm.com.au/hfant&acc.html)

jik22
20th November 2008, 10:06 PM
Did you ever get the rear mount made, I am trying to do the same thing and cant seam to find anything commercially that will work. Looks like I will have to have a bracket made

I picked up one which will do me temporarily until I can fidn exactly what I want, but my car is still in gettign the gearbox fitted, so I've not tried it yet. Will post pictures and details when I check all is OK.

jik22
20th November 2008, 10:15 PM
Jeff, have you seen these mounts (at bottom of linked page):

HF Radio Antennas & Accessories (http://www.lakecomm.com.au/hfant&acc.html)

Thanks Ron,

I have something similar to the spare wheel mount one shown, but want one I've seen which goes behind the spare and comes out the side, IYSWIM.

I have just ordered that anti-theft nut though - very useful. :)

Will let you know how it all works out week after next when I'm away.

p38arover
20th November 2008, 10:39 PM
Will let you know how it all works out week after next when I'm away.

:confused::confused:

Are you away now?

Skype?

jik22
20th November 2008, 11:05 PM
:confused::confused:

Are you away now?

Skype?

No going away, so it'll get a proper test....

p38arover
20th November 2008, 11:08 PM
Ahh! I thought you were back overseas again.

Skype?

jik22
20th November 2008, 11:53 PM
Skype?

Sure

Heggs
23rd November 2008, 10:16 AM
I have managed to mount the codan auto tuner on the back of my defender. I used a unistrut cantilever bracket, cut down, painted and mounted next to the number plate light. the entire length of the tuner is below the roof line on the areial sits above the roof line. the cables I have run in behind the number plate light through to the inside of the vheicle. I will post some pics shortly

jik22
26th November 2008, 03:24 PM
I have managed to mount the codan auto tuner on the back of my defender. I used a unistrut cantilever bracket, cut down, painted and mounted next to the number plate light. the entire length of the tuner is below the roof line on the areial sits above the roof line. the cables I have run in behind the number plate light through to the inside of the vheicle. I will post some pics shortly

Well, my temporary solution doesn't work as the bracket won't fit through an alloy wheel, so I'm back to square one. Pics would be appreciated as I now need to get somethign fabricated too.

Heggs
28th November 2008, 04:36 PM
Hope this helps, I just need to have it powder coated to finish it off

CateNGeof
7th January 2009, 10:41 AM
I put a 9350 autotune on the back of my def. This mount on the door behind the spare, but was designed for a Barrett, which is shorter. Therefore the Codan sit a lot higher, the top of the autotune is above the roof rack.
Bought it from Australian 4WD Storage Systems & Accessories in SA.
Will post pics when in the next few days.

jik22
7th January 2009, 11:05 AM
I put a 9350 autotune on the back of my def. This mount on the door behind the spare, but was designed for a Barrett, which is shorter. Therefore the Codan sit a lot higher, the top of the autotune is above the roof rack.
Bought it from Australian 4WD Storage Systems & Accessories in SA.
Will post pics when in the next few days.

That's the mount I ended up buying (Specifically for a Codan) and like you found it was obviously designed for a Barrett. So, on top of having to drill out the mounting hole, the aerial also sits too high, as you say. Still, it does get most of the tuning coil clear of the bodywork, which I guess is a good thing as long as you remember not to go under low height restrictions! I was also less than impressed with the mounting hardware supplied and will be making up properly fitting sleeves to go over the spare wheel mounting studs as soon as I can get to a lathe...

scott oz
11th May 2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry to everyone but resurrecting this old post.

I’ve got a Barrett auto tune that I’m trying to decide where to mount it. I was thinking of the NSW special that’s the bull bar mount. But I don’t like the loss of vision and I believe that in some states and possibly NSW it’s illegal.

At the back I’ve got the ladder were I’ve got the VHF & CB aerials mounted so that’s out and it doesn’t give the 150 body clearance.

I was thinking of making a four point bracket. It would go on the drives side under small rear window mount plates eithe side. My concern is the “flex” factor. I’d obviously have to put reinforcing plates on the inside.

Probably not the best description but would appreciated any photos you may have of your non standard aerial mount. Oh!!! my wheel carrier will not allow the post behind it and I don’t like the idea of swing it off the spares studs.

Anyhow, any thoughts much appreciated.

juddy
12th May 2009, 11:30 AM
I had 2 options for mine, Front MOD wing top box, or side mount MOD stalk.

juddy
12th May 2009, 11:32 AM
Hope this helps, I just need to have it powder coated to finish it off

Heggs, I take it the bootom of the Codan theres a bolt, that you fit a secure not to, then on to what ever you are using as a base plate???

HowardSmall
12th May 2009, 06:11 PM
As a matter of interest, why put it on the back? I have my antenna (a nine foot stainelss steel whip) mounted on an aluminium plate that replaced the plastic one on top of the drivers side guard. Under the plate is an auto tuner.

Not saying this is optimum or anything but it is an easy installation and quite effective.

howard

Heggs
12th May 2009, 06:29 PM
Heggs, I take it the bootom of the Codan theres a bolt, that you fit a secure not to, then on to what ever you are using as a base plate???

Yep I have i secure nut within the unistrut bracket, cant be seen from the outside. the base plate is unistrut i use this product all the time at work and had a few bits left over from a project. I have the bracket rubber mounted to keep it off the ali body work and the base arial is earthed back tho the chasis, i have a suport clamp at the top of the tuner to prevent any major flexing and damaging the body work. it all seams to work well. the entire tuner fits below the roof line of the vehical so i can leave it on whilst around town and it dosnt get in the way of everyday life.

Unistrut Australia Home Page (http://www.unistrut.com.au/index.php?M1=6&M2=21&M3=78)

scott oz
29th May 2009, 12:27 PM
I had 2 options for mine, Front MOD wing top box, or side mount MOD stalk.

Juddy (anyone) do where can I see the MOD wing/side mounts?

Juperoo
31st May 2009, 09:21 PM
Hi I'm in the process of mounting a 4mm steel plate bracket that I had made up. It fits just under the rear window on the LHS. I had to make up a large plate to fit in side the vehicle to help prevent damage from the 'wobbling' of the auto tune base. I'll post some photos as soon as the bracket is back from being painted and I have fitted it. The only negative aspect of where I have placed it is that I will have no where to put a ladder (if I get one).
I had the base on the front of a 95 110 ute but always found it to be in the way, even when I moved it down to the base of the bull bar. So I really wanted the position on my 03 110 extreme to be 'out of the way' as much as possible. The RHS side would have been the best but the top of the auto tune base would have been too high, as the mounting bracket would have needed to be quite high to clear the spare wheel on the back door.

Andrew.

scott oz
1st June 2009, 06:17 PM
Juperoo,

Thanksand I wll look forward to seeing the photo's

I've go the a ladder so I need to put mine on the driver side.

I to am concerned about the "flex" particularly since I will have to span the window

All good fun

Juperoo
3rd June 2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Scott Oz
Here are the photos of the mount I had made up. As you can see by where I have the bracket it's got good purchase on the vehicle and with the rough plate I made up for the rear inside the vehicle I think i will have solved most of my problems. I originally held the base on the drivers (RHS) side but it protuded too far above the roof line. Mounting on the LHS means it's lower and the whip can be removed when going through heavily treed areas. Anyway have a look at what I have done and see what you think! The mount is a little too clean as it has just ben painted I need to go for a drive to dirty it up!:)

Andrew.

HowardSmall
3rd June 2009, 10:59 AM
Nice job. Little puzzled by what you mean by being higher on the off side than on the near side?

Howard

Juperoo
3rd June 2009, 11:10 AM
I have the spare mounted on the door so if I mounted my bracket in the same place on the oposite side, the spare would hit the bracket and not allow the door to open fully. To remidy this you would have to move the bracket higher up, therefore mounting becomes an issue due to having less area to put bolts through and the auto tune base protudes higher above the roof line. I would have liked to put it on the opposite side but there were too many engineering issues that my brain couldn't get around.
Andrew

HowardSmall
3rd June 2009, 11:16 AM
ah, of course :bangin:

And as I said earlier, nice job.

Howard

Juperoo
4th June 2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks Howard
I'll post some pics once I bolt the base and run the cables.
Andrew

CraigE
12th July 2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks Howard
I'll post some pics once I bolt the base and run the cables.
Andrew
Andrew,
Have you run the cables yet? I am about to do mine. The bracket is on and fitted nice, just working out the cabling and wether to dril a hole and use a grommet or some other way.
If you have pics it would be appreciated if you have run them.
Cheers
CraigE

Juperoo
12th July 2009, 09:14 PM
Yep I have run the cables. drilled some holes and used rubber grommets. Not 100% happy but not really sure why I'm not or how I could have done it another way. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow and post them. Was your bracket much different to mine?
Andrew

justinc
12th July 2009, 09:27 PM
Fantastic job! The finish is excellent, and yes, needs to get some of that red ochre colour of central australia into that gloss white paint:o

I wished I had a Defender when I was looking for a way to mount my Barrett Autotune on the rear of the RR, Too many angles/ slopes:(.

JC

CraigE
13th July 2009, 09:42 PM
Yep I have run the cables. drilled some holes and used rubber grommets. Not 100% happy but not really sure why I'm not or how I could have done it another way. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow and post them. Was your bracket much different to mine?
Andrew
Thanks, that would be great. It is similar to yours but not the full width backing plate. Will post a pic when I get time. I basically bought a galvanised angle bracket from bunnings for about $17 and then gusseted it with some galvanised flat bar, mounted it with an internal backing (stitching) plate. I was happy with it, but there was still a bit of flex in the body work, not much but enough to be annoying, so I mounted an angle bracket off the roof bar to the top of the anntena using a couple of drain pipe fittings. Does not flex at all now.
If I were to do it over I would make it wider like yours and still may do so as it would only require a stiching plate.
Cheers
Craig

CraigE
14th July 2009, 07:28 PM
Ok, pics of the brackets I used to mount mine.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/873.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/874.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/875.jpg

Juperoo
15th July 2009, 06:55 PM
Here are the photos I promised. I've found that there is a little bit of flex in the base but I'm happy that it is quite minimal and shouldn't cause any problems once I get off road. I'll keep an eye on it just in case!
This is as far as I've got so far, I've got a cargo barrier on order and once that is in I'll mount the base unit on that. I suppose in the mean time I'll work on mounting the head unit (haven't decided where yet) and run the cable back to where the base unit will be.
Andrew

CraigE
15th July 2009, 10:06 PM
Andrew,
Thanks for the updates. I have a set of Outback roller drawers in mine and the way they are set up there is a gap on the drivers side wide enough and high enough to fit the black box. Will take a pick of mine as I currentlly have the floor (drawer top) off to finish the install and do some wiring. Food for thought if you intend getting roller drawers.

Xtreme
15th July 2009, 10:18 PM
Andrew,
Thanks for the updates. I have a set of Outback roller drawers in mine and the way they are set up there is a gap on the drivers side wide enough and high enough to fit the black box. Will take a pick of mine as I currentlly have the floor (drawer top) off to finish the install and do some wiring. Food for thought if you intend getting roller drawers.

Don't get stuck in a deep water crossing with the 'black box' mounted down low like that or you won't be calling anyone for help.

Juperoo
15th July 2009, 11:47 PM
I do intend to put some drawers in but did intend to mount the base unit up off the floor on the cargo barrier just to keep it out of harms way (water), just like Xtreme mentioned. Not sure if I will ever actually drive through that much water down here in western vic, but you never know?
Andrew

CraigE
16th July 2009, 01:29 PM
Don't get stuck in a deep water crossing with the 'black box' mounted down low like that or you won't be calling anyone for help.
If I get stuck in water that deep then all the fuses, elecky system etc is going to be fried anyway, I mean it would probablly be 1m above bottom of tyres anyway, higher than the battery boxes and fuse panels. I may think about putting it up higher but that leaves it exposed as well.

CraigE
16th July 2009, 06:24 PM
Some pics of the progress. It is pretty much installed, just have to get my Codan speaker back. Will get an older one in the shed and test properly tommorow.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/817.jpg
Codan black box, positioned in void alongside roller drawers / false floor.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/818.jpg
Cabling through body work
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/819.jpg
Earth strap to chassis

Juperoo
16th July 2009, 06:57 PM
Nice job craig. Good luck with the tests. Where did you mount the head unit? I'm still trying to decide on th best location, top of dash or front of center box?
Andrew.

CraigE
16th July 2009, 08:51 PM
I mounted the head unit on the centre cupboard can still fit a can of drink or 600ml bottle of water below infront of it. Still need to decide where to locate the speaker. Now to get motivated and open all 200 channels.:eek::eek: Currentlly have 125 in play I think.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/812.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/07/813.jpg

mousie
25th July 2009, 05:44 PM
I've been watching this thread and in my case I have the Disco D2. A mate and I decided to take a length of 60mil solid round 150mil long, and lathe gradually down to 49.6m at a point through the centre hole of the rear spare wheel and then mill down to 35mm flat top and bottom for the antenna thread to bolt on. When I get this final block it I'll post some pics. The 60mil end has three M8 bolts (the tricky bit is I need to allign this well) so basically I have the least amount of metal, for the occasional use of the 9350.

I know its not perfect given you have to remove the 9350 to get to the wheel but in my case, I do the 2 x a year trip so no need to leave on. Never new landies needed to change tyres anyway!!!!)

I have the open mag type with no covers and the two cables (light wateproofing) enter the top section and will be routed into the the rear door and through the existing electircal boot to a small radio base. I use the ft 857D for my needs.

This cheap option may suit the Defender as well.

Geoff

stevetd5
26th July 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi probably a bit late but might be an idea for others. I made a mount that attaches to the ladder fitted to the rear of my defender(previous owner must have sold roof rack ). Advantage is that routing cables is simple. I'll take a few pics asap.

Juperoo
21st September 2009, 07:25 PM
Hi SteveTd5
I'd be interested in some pics if you could put some up. How did you go with the flexing of the base when the car is in motion? I was keen to get a ladder and roof rack but as it stands now it would only get in the way of my the mt I have made.