PDA

View Full Version : Under the L322

DirtyDawg
30th September 2008, 08:33 PM
Well while I was getting the rego changed from QLD to WA I had the opportunity to enter the inspection pit and check out the underside of our new Rangie.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/09/5.jpg

View of tranny and heat shields

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/09/6.jpg

View of rear diff

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/09/7.jpg

Transfer case

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/09/8.jpg

Tranny case and self contained cage:eek:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/09/9.jpg

Front diff and not much room for anything else.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/09/10.jpg

And the BMW donk with an appropriate Landrover oval:D

Oh well off to bed soon to read the 3 manuals:eek:

big guy
30th September 2008, 09:25 PM
Good on you.
Thats the one I want, shall keep a keen eye on your wheels and see how you like it over time.

Hope its all positive, all the best.

DirtyDawg
1st October 2008, 06:00 AM
ecauseof the complexity of the electricks make sure you have warranty and extend it for the period you intend to own the car. I spent 2 hours yesterday just familiarising myself with what everything does, for example if the computer senses the outside temp is 4deg or less it pre heats the windscreen and headlight washer water:eek:.
By far the most luxurious car I have owned, dislikes so far the engine noise in the cabin is quite loud when your giving it a bootfull, bit too loud for a luxury type car and the wind noise is evident over 130km/h;)

Dougal
1st October 2008, 02:38 PM
ecauseof the complexity of the electricks make sure you have warranty and extend it for the period you intend to own the car. I spent 2 hours yesterday just familiarising myself with what everything does, for example if the computer senses the outside temp is 4deg or less it pre heats the windscreen and headlight washer water:eek:.
By far the most luxurious car I have owned, dislikes so far the engine noise in the cabin is quite loud when your giving it a bootfull, bit too loud for a luxury type car and the wind noise is evident over 130km/h;)

So you've got he TD6?
Any idea what boost that sucker runs? I know BMW"s twin turbo version (powers the 535d) runs up to 42psi.
Got room for that turbo setup in there?:twisted:

sniegy
1st October 2008, 07:53 PM
Very Nice Dirtydawg.
I have been driving one of these for the last 2-3 weeks & it is a nice vehicle, the one i had is an 02my so a little different.
But the BMW 6 isnt a bad donk. Little unrefined but still pulls the cover off the custard damn quick.;)
Hope all goes really well, they are a great vehicle.
Read the manual, very thick & a LOT of info..:eek:

Cheers.:)

drivesafe
1st October 2008, 08:40 PM
Hi DirtyDawg, that is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned ( excluding my current RR ) and I’ll be surprised if you don’t like yours.

I had the opportunity to take mine to the ton and let the cruise control have it’s way for about 20 kms. Brother did that little run use some fuel.

But it you keep it around the 100 to 110, you can expect some good fuel figures.

As to the electronics, sniegy would be more up on this but I think you will find mechanical problems are more like to be the case as the electronics are pretty well sorted now.

Yours is actually a more comfortable RR than the new one and I found the new V8 is not as quick off the mark as my TD6 was.

sniegy
1st October 2008, 08:53 PM
Td6's rarely have problems....;)
They dont leak oil (look at the photo's) & they just drop in & get there routine service done! Great if u have purchased &/or own one.
I do have a great resepct for these vehicles now, Was dubiuos when the BMW motor went in & a few gremlins on the early ones but if its an 06my, I think u will be a very very very happy man!:p
I will keep saving for my new beast...

chuck
1st October 2008, 09:16 PM
Nice Vehicle

Will be very interested to hear follow up comments.
I have been watching the price of them particularly 2004 models.

They seem to represent good value.

Nice to hear they are relatively trouble free.

Regards

Chuck

spudboy
1st October 2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah - I agree with the comments about the harshness of the motor under full acceleration, at certain revs it resonates a bit, but still acceptable considering it is a diesel.

I hadn't driven mine for about 3 weeks and when I came to start it this morning it was very sluggish to turn over, then gave up. Had to jump start it.

Then I got a message on the console ** Air Suspension Inactive ** which didn't make me very happy :(. Anyway, after a 20 minute run and a restart the message went away, so not sure what that was all about.

Generally, it has been better than I expected, and so far more reliable than my 93 Classic which had continual Air Suspension issues :eek:

ariddell
2nd October 2008, 09:30 AM
Our petrol v8 is pretty loud and snarly too a lot of the time.

Just that bit more noise than you would expect from a big luxury slushobarge so i think it's very much by design. Does sound fantastic though so i'm not complaining - i was just surprised it wasn't more muted at first after having had Jags etc for years.

drivesafe
2nd October 2008, 06:01 PM
I hadn't driven mine for about 3 weeks and when I came to start it this morning it was very sluggish to turn over, then gave up. Had to jump start it.

Hi spudboy, try not to leave it for more than a week without charging the battery, it’s a common problem with earlier L322 model, even though the ignition is off, there is heaps of power still being consumed.

The newer L322 is more like the D3 so the electronics pretty well shuts down after the key is removed.

spudboy
4th October 2008, 08:51 PM
I drove it for 2 hours after the jump start, so am hoping that is sufficient for the next start which will probably be in a couple of weeks.

I got the '07 Defender 110 out this weekend after not having driven it for over a month and it cranked over like I just drove it the day before. Obviously a whole lot less electronics under the bonnet sucking out juice than the Rangie.

drivesafe
4th October 2008, 10:02 PM
Hi spudboy, it’s not just less electronics, the later version of the L322 and D3s probably have more electronic but also have a far more advanced power management set up while the early versions of the L322 had poorly designed electronic usage.

As to your drive, with starting out on your drive with a flat battery, you needed at least a 5 to 6 hour drive to fully charge your battery.

Best advice would be to put a battery charger on your RR when ever you can.

Cheers.