PDA

View Full Version : Too late

rmp
10th October 2008, 09:11 AM
If you were thinking about buying some expensive camera gear I think you've missed the chance for a bargain by a couple of weeks. As the AU$ drops, prices go up...1D3 was $4850 at CamerasDirect, it's nearly $5500 now.

Only one example but it does pay to keep an eye on the exchange rate as changes do affect consumer goods prices in short order.

Phoenix
10th October 2008, 09:13 AM
I was contemlating buying some radios out of the US (military ones). A bit late now.

At least I got my last RC car and brushless motor out of the US before it dropped below 85c

Captain_Rightfoot
10th October 2008, 09:34 AM
It's nasty. I bought a vga-RGB converter to drive our old TV and if I'd bought it 2 months ago it would have been $150. The night before last it was $220. :o

p38arover
10th October 2008, 09:53 AM
Yes, I was thinking that this morning as I drove to work. Not in relation to camera gear but in respect of new Arnotts Gen III air suspension bellows. A chap had a set for US$500 and I nearly bought them when the Aust dollar was nearly on par with the US$.

Ah well......

rmp
10th October 2008, 10:00 AM
There is a bright side I forgot to mention:

1. Excellent time to sell your secondhand gear.

2. You'll know for next time. "dear spouse, I must buy this now...."

dmdigital
10th October 2008, 06:49 PM
Tell me about it...

A few weeks back I ordered something from the UK. Very nicely they didn't bill my card until it was dispatched. Unfortunately the AU$ dropped 4p against the :(

Conversely, I ordered something a few weeks back from the USA which thankfully they billed me for immediately at US$0.83 to the AU$, because it was only dispatched 2 days ago! I wouldn't even be ordering it if I was to do it this week.

Hadn't even looked at camera gear, I shudder to think what the knock on effect is going to be.