PDA

View Full Version : In Car DVD players / TV tuners

VladTepes
15th October 2008, 04:34 PM
I am looking for a DVD player (not including a screen as I already have one of those), TV tuner, and Antenna.

(I already have a CD / MP3 player, so am not after a big combined unit)

Any recommendations on brands / suppliers / etc ?

I'm after cheap ones - it's for a Defender, not a Luxo-Barge !

At least if I know what is out there I'll be able to make provision when I build a console, even if I don;t fit them til later.

Thanks all.

dmdigital
15th October 2008, 05:28 PM
I believe dullbird and muddymech have one in their Defender. They should be in Katherine about now so they may be online again soon or when they get here.

Think they posted something about it on the forum.

LOVEMYRANGIE
16th October 2008, 12:08 AM
I am looking for a DVD player (not including a screen as I already have one of those), TV tuner, and Antenna.

(I already have a CD / MP3 player, so am not after a big combined unit)

Any recommendations on brands / suppliers / etc ?

I'm after cheap ones - it's for a Defender, not a Luxo-Barge !

At least if I know what is out there I'll be able to make provision when I build a console, even if I don;t fit them til later.

Thanks all.

Dont know if anyone actually makes a separate DVD unit, they generally a head unit. I have an Alpine DVA-9860E head unit with separate roof mount 10" screen. Think the current model for ths now is the DVA-9861E but you will be looking at a fairly high $$. I had a mate who used to run a car audio store here in Perth and I got my head unit and screen for $1100 but the normal retail was closer to $980 for the head unit and $1100 for the screen!
Comes with an AV switch to plug different A/V inputs into the screen like VCR, Playstation etc.
Suggest maybe going to JB HiFi and see if they have anything to give you a feel for whats around!

Andrew.

dullbird
16th October 2008, 04:58 PM
hey vlad our unit is all in one.....dvd, tv, reverse camera, fm radio, bluetooth answering for the phone.

brought my unit from a guy on ebay $600....brought tv antenna that sticks on the window i think $50 and camera off ebay simliar price, the unit is great...

I know its not what your really looking for, for DVD with out the screen i beilive you an buy single din units without the screen but with tv i dont think so..

the other thing to do would be to put a dvd changer on your unit if it will except this although that doesn't solve your tv problem.
my unit altnough nearly at the time $600 cheaper than anything else on the market was imported by a fella near blacktown nsw. although the unit is unbranded the guy who originally brought them in becasue he brought one for his car and was so impressed, said that the screen was a phillips or sharp cant remember now...anyway i dont have any complaints...i might if it falls apart on the corrigations :p but thats the risk i took pay half the cost.

Bundalene
16th October 2008, 05:03 PM
Good to hear you're OK and made it to Katherine.

How has your trip been so far?

Cheers Erich

dullbird
19th October 2008, 04:06 PM
Good to hear you're OK and made it to Katherine.

How has your trip been so far?

Cheers Erich

trip so far has been great. Cape Arnhem was just paradise. The bulman in was just horendous and we ce very close to rolling the car. Got wheel off the ground on full tilt and everything. All adds to the adventure I suppose. Now we and the car just need to make it back out alive and we should be ok. Be interesting to see if the car survives a second trip of total punishment on the track.

Here's hoping it does :)

Bundalene
19th October 2008, 08:39 PM
trip so far has been great. Cape Arnhem was just paradise. The bulman in was just horendous and we ce very close to rolling the car. Got wheel off the ground on full tilt and everything. All adds to the adventure I suppose. Now we and the car just need to make it back out alive and we should be ok. Be interesting to see if the car survives a second trip of total punishment on the track.

Here's hoping it does :)

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Gove and don't dwell on the trip out - you now know where the crook bits are. Take your time and enjoy the trip - even stop at the Minarou for an overnight camp - we often camp on the high bank on the Gove side and it is very pleasant.

Don't forget a sunset evening at the Yacht Club or East Woody

Cheers, Erich & Sheila