PDA

View Full Version : Servicing a Cruise Control ECU?

Gullible
20th October 2008, 07:20 AM
Well the saga of my cruise control continues.

I bought a multi meter and ran the full electrical diagnostics found in “good oil’ section. All switches, wires, fuses, sensors, and vacuum pump are working correctly.

So the problem is with my CC ECU. Can my CC ECU be fixed/serviced or is this a sealed unit that just gets thrown away?

dmdigital
20th October 2008, 07:54 AM
This is the Rovacom information on the cruise control https://www.blackbox-solutions.com/shop/help/SM039.html

Don't know if it will help, but as you can see there is limited ability.

The other thing to consider is a fault in the brake system as this should disable the cruise control from working. This can be as simple as a blown brake light bulb or a short in the trailer socket.

Gullible
20th October 2008, 09:14 AM
Mine is the silver unit pre 1999.

duncanw
20th October 2008, 09:37 AM
There is a company who services ECU's but they are in the Netherlands. I assume there are some over here but I've never heard of them.

ECU Repair Centre, Car Electronics Repair Service and Remanufactured units (http://www.ecu-rc.com/)

As far as I can tell it's a throw away item. If you end up fixing it please let me know how as I have just spent $300 on a new one and would like to know how to fix it in the future when it breaks.

Lucus
20th October 2008, 10:20 AM
Pm Bundalene,
I picked one a good second hand unit from him for $80 on fleabay.

I went right through the testing on my 93RRC to determine why it would drop out randomly and found a dodgy earth (shock horror!!) was the problem.

The testing procedure told me i had a dud ecu but changing it didnt help.

Gullible
22nd October 2008, 07:11 AM
The CC is fixed.
I bought a CC ECU off ebay and it did not work:mad:

So I went to Mr Cooper and bought a brand new one for $381, plugged it in and all functions work:D

LOVEMYRANGIE
23rd October 2008, 04:05 PM
Pm Bundalene,
I picked one a good second hand unit from him for $80 on fleabay.

I went right through the testing on my 93RRC to determine why it would drop out randomly and found a dodgy earth (shock horror!!) was the problem.

The testing procedure told me i had a dud ecu but changing it didnt help.

Hmmmmmm, mine does exactly the same thing! Where did you find the dud earth????
Mine will cut out and then not come back on until it feels like it, sometimes may not be for days plus when I put LED globes in the switch panel, the active light for the cruise goes on and off even when the switch is in the off position!!

Where did you get the test procedure from??

duncanw
23rd October 2008, 04:44 PM
Where did you get the test procedure from??

I've found this one good but I'm not sure if it's the same one that Lucas was talking about.

Land Rover Cruise Control Problems - Land Rover Forums (http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=900)

Gullible
24th October 2008, 10:06 AM
Yes, that is the one I used.
I had never used a multi meter before, but if you read the steps a couple of times each one is quite easy.

Happy hunting