PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Dual fuel stove

Mudnut
24th October 2008, 02:40 PM
I have a Coleman Dual fuel stove, and have been using it for the last year (no kitchen, as I am renovating) I have started to smell petrol when it is not in use, but still under pressure. Is there any maintinance I should be diong? I can't see any problems, and am wondering if the valve is not shutting off properly, even though the flame goes out once I turn it off.

Cheers,

Ken

duncanw
24th October 2008, 02:50 PM
I've got the dual fuel lantern, I've read that if you use petrol regularly then it gums up, apparently if you run the coleman fuel through it then it burns cleaner, not sure how true this is as I read that bit in the maintenance card that came with it...

Maybe it's just starting to gum up and needs a clean ?

Scallops
24th October 2008, 03:29 PM
I always undo the fuel filler after use to de pressurise the fuel tank - otherwise you can get vapor odors and when in transit over corrugated roads, the knob can come on a little and spirt fuel inside the stove.

gromit
24th October 2008, 03:35 PM
Ken,

The main areas for leaking would be around the filler cap, the pump and the valve itself not completely shutting off, all of these parts can be sourced as spares. Personally never had any leaks and mine stays pressurised for many months between uses.

Maybe pressurise and run some soapy water round the cap, pump etc and see where the leak is.

I ran a two burner Coleman on unleaded petrol and within a couple of years had to replace the needle valve assembly because it was badly gummed up. Switched to Shellite and have not had any problems since. From memory, Coleman claim their fuel has a lubricant and rust inhibitor but it is a lot more expensive.

Colin

scrambler
24th October 2008, 03:44 PM
They will leak a little, especially when they are no longer young. My lantern in particular does this - quite dramatic to see it quietly glowing long after it's been turned off. I'd release the pressure on the stove once the flame is out. Of course, this guarantees fuel vapour for a while. You could try taking apart and servicing, but at least with mine I think the issue is leakage into the evaporator past the control valve - and I doubt this would be solved by anything except replacing the valve assembly.

Fourfingersofdeath
24th November 2008, 01:02 PM
I have had a small Coleman stove and lantern for many years. I used unleaded in the stove initally and it was a bit sooty. Went to the camping shop at Eastwood (NSW) and walked out with a 20 litre drum of Dry cleaning fluid/white spirit. Burnt very clean in both for years. Got down to the last litre and bought a 4ltr odd drum of Coleman fuel, pretty much the same, more convienent container.

I ended up buying a big old dual burner stove, it kept going while there was any pressure in it. I had to buy the whole vavle assembly, they didn't sell individual bits.

As to lamps, teh Coleman battert lantern is great also, charge on 240v if available or 12v while you are travelling. I haven't used the little coleman dual fuel since I bought this one, very good. The dual fueller will be kept for remote, stopped in one spot camps.

cartm58
24th November 2008, 02:42 PM
Have had 2 Coleman 3 burner Petrol Stoves for over 20 years, Shellite is just a brand name, if you go to BP service station for example they will order a 20 litre drum of their equilivent product which is a white spirit solvent or use unleaded petrol.

Only service l have done is the little rubber seal in the primer pump occasionally needs a little lubrication use oil or vasilene smear.

When l bought the first one second hand a 1965 model l bought new metal disks as they were clogged with block soot from where the guy had been using kerosene.

Never have any problems with them, 2 burners go under flat hot plate leaving third burner for things like steamer pot, kettle or oven.

They burn hotter than gas cookers so use less fuel in comparison and being unleaded run on same fuel as car so no gas lpg bottles required.

For the Coleman lanterns made some wooden carry boxes lined with foam never had problem with them either and just have to remember they generate heat so dont use under tarp or in tent

wardy1
11th February 2009, 10:02 PM
I used unleaded in our dual fuel coleman lantern and for some reason, it's never been as good as it was when I used shellite/coleman fuel. It just doesn;t seem to run as well, the pressure through the mantle seems lower and not as much light. Any clues what is wrong please?

dmdigital
11th February 2009, 10:43 PM
Probably the ignition tube needs replacing. A friend used ULP and had to replace the ignition tube in his lantern and stove within 18 months where as I've only ever run Shellite in my stove and haven't had a problem in 7 years.

B92 8NW
11th February 2009, 11:30 PM
As DM said replace the vapouriser tube.

Although they can be run on ULP, it produces greater amounts of soot than using Shellite. On superior vapourising tubes, it is possible to remove the nozzle from the end, unscrew the needle and rod and clean the vapouriser assembly with Brakleen and a vapouriser cleaning brush. The Coleman vapourising tubes are slightly more 'disposable', they have a metal gauze packing in them that becomes blocked with the soot and gives the problems you are having.

You can try "rejuvenating" the vapourising by running a flame over it to 'burn off' the residues, this is helpful on the tilley 606 vapourisers as they are quite expensive but the coleman ones are that cheap it probably isn't worth the effort.

It is also acceptable/wise to add a small amount of injector cleaning every couple of tanks if you use ULP.

wardy1
1st March 2009, 04:49 PM
Thnks for the advice. Where in Melbourne can I buy spare parts?

dmdigital
1st March 2009, 05:29 PM
Anyone who stocks Coleman should have parts. Ray's are probably a good bet, Anaconda, etc.

dirtdawg
1st March 2009, 07:10 PM
i know anaconda have spares for them

wardy1
5th March 2009, 07:21 PM
Just one more question..... is the vaporiser the same as the generator? Hope so as they are only 8 bucks:)

B92 8NW
5th March 2009, 07:26 PM
Just one more question..... is the vaporiser the same as the generator? Hope so as they are only 8 bucks:)

Yes, the americans call them a generator.