PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet: how to clean it

series1buff
27th October 2008, 01:23 PM
The bonnets are usually very grungy and dirty underneath.. they were not painted apparently . Has anyone got a suggestion as to how to effectively clean them...and achieve that bare aluminium look. The problem is: the many rivets and associated ribs make it hard to clean . Maybe glass bead blasting .

Mike

chazza
27th October 2008, 03:37 PM
I am wary of blasting large wide panels with beads, because of the risk of localised heating; however; a good degrease followed by soda-blasting appears to be the answer.

Check out the website of Western Soda Blasters. I plan to have all of the body soda-blasted on my car; apparently it will remove paint but not damage glass :eek:

Cheers Charlie

back_in
27th October 2008, 06:16 PM
Hi All
this what I did
knock all the rivets out
using paint striper and a steel scarer and rub the underside
when clean rub the whole bonnet front to back with the steel pad to have the rub marks running the same way
clean the galv. with the same steel pad and Black and Gold vinegar
then put it back together.
only takes time the results are very good
cheers
Ian

series1buff
27th October 2008, 08:01 PM
Yes I thought about removing the rivets . But where do you find replacement rivets ?

Mike

Mick-Kelly
27th October 2008, 08:36 PM
I used a steam cleaner on a gearbox. It stripped off 30 odd years of gunk without much effort.

back_in
27th October 2008, 10:15 PM
Hi
Wadsworth Panels in U.K. have round head rivets 3/16 for what you want
50 for 3 quid plus postage
phone 0011 44 1422822200
e mail keith-wadsworth@tiscali.co.uk
cheers
Ian

JDNSW
28th October 2008, 05:53 AM
I would not grit blast with glass beads - they are too hard.

But there are a wide variety of materials that can be used for grit blasting - and there will be something available (such as crushed walnut shells) suitable for cleaning aluminium. Have a talk to a sandblaster, or even an equipment hire place that hires out sandblasters.

John