PDA

View Full Version : ex South Aust 1954 86" S1

cjc_td5
28th October 2008, 08:41 PM
Can anyone shed any light on the possible history of a 1954 86" S1 that is pictured? It has old 6 digit SA number plates and a large amount of plating underneath (engine sump and fuel tank guards that I could see on a quick inspection). The most interesting thing though is the colour (sandy orange) that does not appear to be a casual respray, it was done properly.

Was it ex government or ex military??

I have seen one or two S1s this colour on this site, does anyone know of their history??

Thanks

Mick-Kelly
28th October 2008, 08:56 PM
Cant help too much but she looks like its in great nick. How good is that front bumper. Must be the only straight one ive ever seen.

JDNSW
29th October 2008, 05:35 AM
That colour is the same as ones which I used working for the Bureau of Mineral Resources in 1959. They wore Commonwealth plates and were actually bought and modified by the Department of Supply, being fitted with underbody protection and extra fuel and water tanks. All had capstan winches. The ones I used were all swb hardtops. There were quite a few of these operated all over Australia by several Commonwealth agencies including BMR and DCA.

I expect that they would have been disposed of around 1960, replaced by Series 2s, and could have got SA plates at that time.

John

ellard
9th November 2008, 04:23 AM
That colour is the same as ones which I used working for the Bureau of Mineral Resources in 1959. They wore Commonwealth plates and were actually bought and modified by the Department of Supply, being fitted with underbody protection and extra fuel and water tanks. All had capstan winches.

Its the same colour but unsure of where it originated from:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/659.jpg

Wayne

JDNSW
9th November 2008, 06:13 AM
I should add to my information above, the Department of Supply vehicles (not just Landrovers) came in two colours, yellow as shown, and a colour closer to rescue orange. They changed their standard colour in the late fifties, but this long after I can't remember which one came first.

John