PDA

View Full Version : 3.9 Or 3.6......

jerryd
16th November 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm a bit confused as to which engine is fitted to my County, when I purchased it a couple of months back the nsw rego certificate says it has a 3850cc diesel engine. I assumed this to be a 3.9, however when I went change the rego to a qld one, they inspected the vehicle and the inspector said it's a 4BE1 motor :eek: as stamped on the block.
Today I met another Isuzu powered County at our off-road get together and his engine did look slightly larger than mine. So should I assume mine is a 3.6 litre engine ???? Is there much difference apart from 300cc ??
I'm well pleased with the performance etc, fuel economy is great too. I've now covered 8,000 kilometres in it and it hasn't missed a beat or used a drop of oil. It does lose a bit of speed on steep hills but I think this is a common problem isn't it ?
I guess the big question is can this engine take a turbo ?? ;)

Slunnie
16th November 2008, 10:46 PM
Thats a sweet exhaust manifold!

clean32
16th November 2008, 11:23 PM
Thats a sweet exhaust manifold!

Thinking Same.

I think sisnce you have no Aircon, fitt a turbo and donate the exhaust manifold to me ???

Blknight.aus
16th November 2008, 11:42 PM
thats the 3.6 the 3.9 doesnt have the hump on the top of the rocker cover in stock rover trim....

the 3.9 shakes harder at idle than the 3.6 and is down a little across the board but driven sensibley and not heavily loaded is slightly more effecient than its bigger brother

Dougal
17th November 2008, 04:54 AM
thats the 3.6 the 3.9 doesnt have the hump on the top of the rocker cover in stock rover trim....

The landy/industrial ones don't have the humped cover, but all truck sourced 4B engines do. From the 4BC2 upwards.

The 4BE1s should have a rotary injector pump (VE) which makes a lot less noise than the inline pumps on the 4BD1's. Downside is I don't think you'll be able to turn up the fuel as much.

Blknight.aus
17th November 2008, 06:17 AM
fair enough.....

but so far as Ive seen all the 3.9s fitted on LR have the flat rocker cover and the 3.6's ( Ive only seen a couple and they were conversions) have had the hump....

never even thought to mention the pump differences but then you cant see that in the pic...

C H T
17th November 2008, 06:25 AM
The Isuzu engines have the engine series designator cast into the left hand side of the block about half way along the engine - the 4BE1 is a good engine and responds well to a turbo. The rocker cover is not a reliable indicator of the engine series as they vary with year. The the drillings on the block of a 4BE1 and 4BD1 are the same so sandwich plates and anciliaries etc are interchageable.
There was a 110 with a 4BE1 fitted doing the rounds in the Brisbane area a while ago - probably the one that you have bought.

Christopher

rijidij
17th November 2008, 11:09 AM
Is there much difference apart from 300cc ?

In the past I've heard the 3.6 motor referred to as the 'High Output' version of the Isuzu. At first it didn't sound right as it was less cubes than the 4BD1, but apparently it refers to the fact that it revs higher due to the shorter stroke..... Just what I heard anyway.

isuzurover
17th November 2008, 11:45 AM
This may help. Did your vehicle previously belong to Isuzu110?

Hi

A 4BE1 with 135kW ? Wish I had one of those.

A comparison of the 4BD1, 4BE1, 4BD1T is as follows

Model kW @rpm Nm @rpm litres
Isuzu 4BD1 66 3200 245 1900 3900
Isuzu 4BE1 74 3500 242 2000 3600
Isuzu 4BD1T 90 3200 314 2200 3900

The 4BE1 was found in the NKR Models (150,200,250,300 & 400).

I don't have any manuals despite looking from time to time to buy second hand.

Quite like the engine. I've never been able to tell it apart performance wise from the few 4BD1's I've driven, but my mechanic tells me the extra 300 RPM in the redline for the "E" is an improvement over the "D" on the highway.

I run an LT-95 gearbox with the 0.996 transfer case ratio. Cruises at 100 OK but when I towed my Camper Trailer around Oz, certainly was tricky overtaking and a slow on hills.

My 110 was originally a V8 and the conversion was done by the previous owner. Donor engine was from a 1989 NKR Council truck that had rolled.

The adaptor (plate, flywheel and spigot adaptor) was sourced from Zenith Engineering. I believe they no longer stock the kit. Engine and gearbox mounts are Isuzu, rover items were deemed too small.

A 12V alternator with vacuum pump was fitted and the starter modified from a 12V Thermo King. I believe the 12V 4BD1 starter is a straight fit also. The starter needs to be rotated 30 degrees so it doesn't foul the chassis.

I've never connected the 24V glow plugs.

The sump has to have a piece cut off one corner and rewelded to allow the clearance on the diff.

I cracked the casting on the original 3-bolt power steering box as the 4BE1 PS pump is too high a pressure for the box. A 4BD1 pump from the army was fitted with a lower pressure and a 4-bolt box was fitted.

I have a set of extractors fitted.

Would like to turbo the engine, but do not want to lose my County Aircon which would need to be sacrificed space wise to fit the turbo.

I doubt I'd ever sell this vehicle as I like it so much.

Happy to assist with other questions if I'm able to answer.

Dougal
17th November 2008, 03:26 PM
The gearbox flywheels etc are all interchangable.
The Isuzu MSA-5G gearbox (and clutch plate) I'm currently running are from a 4BE1 powered NPR.
They hold up fine with a little above 500Nm.:D

jerryd
17th November 2008, 06:39 PM
isuzurover, I think you could be right in that it did indeed belong to isuzu110.
I just had a quick look at some of his old posts and he mentions brackets he put in place for the highlift jack, which are still there.;)
Another post talks of removing the rear seats to put in his new defender, this would explain why I had so much trouble registering the vehicle again in qld, after bringing it up from Orange NSW. There it was registered as a 5 seater, in qld it is still registered as a 9 seater :eek: After about 4 hours of getting nowhere with transport inspectors, I had to have another mod plate fitted to state that it was a 5 seater before I could register it !!

I'll drop him a line and find out for sure whether it did belong to him, I'm 99.9% sure it did. It certainly is a well sorted vehicle :)

Pipe
30th November 2008, 07:40 AM
Hi, I am a new convert to LR and have a 6X6 Perentie I am doing a trasmission rebuild on. You say, as I have heard from others that an air con cant fit with a turbo. The perentie I bought came to me with a turbo and an air con, Can you sort me out on this? Pipe

Rangier Rover
30th November 2008, 08:03 AM
Hi, I am a new convert to LR and have a 6X6 Perentie I am doing a trasmission rebuild on. You say, as I have heard from others that an air con cant fit with a turbo. The perentie I bought came to me with a turbo and an air con, Can you sort me out on this? Pipe

Perhaps Air was fitted after Turbo.
Fitting a Turbo after County air Con can be a pain as are in the the way.

rijidij
30th November 2008, 08:37 PM

G'day,
Is it a wide body Perentie. Can you post any pics of your engine bay.

Cheers, Murray