PDA

View Full Version : OL Wheel carrier fixed

Scallops
20th November 2008, 10:22 AM
Following up from my thread "buggered wheel carrier" - Well, I took it into OL on Tuesday - they repaired it by putting a beautiful weld along the cracked section and then welding another triangular gusset between both surfaces.

There is another bracket, the same as the failed one, below the piston - they added another gusset to this too.

I haven't got any pics of this fix yet - but I now have 3 modifications to the original wheel carrier. :eek:

OL are confident I won't be "able" to break it again! :D

So congratulations to OL for a very high quality of aftermarket support.

one_iota
20th November 2008, 06:26 PM
It's really great to get positive news. All power to the OL guys.

Hopefully the manufacturer will incorporate your experience into their design as they did with the bottom support.

Those of us with their carrier can take some comfort.

:)

Scallops
21st November 2008, 08:14 AM
It's really great to get positive news. All power to the OL guys.

Hopefully the manufacturer will incorporate your experience into their design as they did with the bottom support.

Those of us with their carrier can take some comfort.

:)

Thanks one_iota - but I'm not sure Front Runner will incorporate this mod - because my OL store fixed the thing in house and didn't bill Dolium for it. Hence they might never see it.

And just for some extra info for people with this carrier - when I showed a pic way back of the fix for the first break, the pic was from the other Defender - the bloke I met in the Kimberly who alerted me to the issue. My gusset is 3 X as thick as the one FR are now using and is also located in the middle of the bracket rather than the end - so I'd still watch this area as I don't think the official "fix" is as strong as mine.

I'll get to the pics next week - I'll show you my lower gusset and the 2 new ones - got the Colonel's trip to Sundown NP this weekend and off to the Ho Hars tonight.

Cheers,
Dan.

solmanic
21st November 2008, 08:28 AM
... I'll show you my lower gusset ...

I'd check with the wife before going around showing people your lower gusset :p

P.S. Did you wave to my wife on Wednesday morning... she said she passed a white Defender with someone waving half out of the car.

Scallops
21st November 2008, 08:33 AM
I'd check with the wife before going around showing people your lower gusset :p

:Rolling: Geez - I've just got so show someone who cares. :D

The ho har's
21st November 2008, 08:37 AM
since you are only at work till lunch time today shouldn't you be actually working not chatting on AULRO:p

see you thisarvo

Mrs ho har:angel: