PDA

View Full Version : P38A going, going, ... welcome to the Zook

PaulP38a
21st November 2008, 12:19 AM
It looks very much like my 1995 P38A 4.6 HSE is going to be written off after it's swim a couple of weeks back. No word from NRMA yet whether it will be a reparable write-off or a statuatory write-off, so I don't know whether it will be worthwhile to consider buying it back for parts or to rebuild.

Ray at Canberra Motor Works managed to get the motor running but there was a rattle and a lot of vibrating - sounds like a rod was bent/broken. Combined with the 5 unhappy ECU's that went swimming it is going to be a very expensive repair job. So... if anyone is interested in it for parts, drop me a line and I'll let you know what is good/bad/so-so if/when I get the final verdict from NRMA.

I'm also going to have a bunch of spares and aftermarket bits to get rid of if I don't buy another P38A. Stuff like rear bar and tyre carrier, front and rear light protectors, filters, belts, spark leads, cargo/dog guard, side lamps/lenses, hand-made lambswool front seat covers etc.

Since I couldn't be a*sed going through the hassle of getting NRMA to get me a hire car for a "max of 2 weeks", I bought a 1991 Suzuki Sierra soft-top "Zook" as a run-around until I figure out what to do. What a difference to the P38a:
1.3L carby motor vs 4.6L EFI V8 - I'm expecting lower fuel bills.
60 Kph seems fast, 80 Kph feels scary vs effortless crusing at the speed limit (or above so I'm told ;)).
leaf spring suspension all round vs P38A air springs.
sits slightly taller than a conventional car (not lifted - yet) vs height adjustable EAS.
no computers (not a bad thing) vs computers for everything :cool:
saying that the seats are adequate is being too kind. The P38A electronic memory seats are like lounge chairs by comparison.
mismatched road tyres on the Zook are scary. Cooper ST's on the P38A were a dream by comparison, especially off-road.
Zook climate control = windows up/down, roof on/off, and noisy fan vs set-and-forget in P38A.
2H, 4H and 4L with front locking hubs - first 4WD I've ever had that wasn't permanent 4WD. Actually, first non Land Rover 4WD I've had after 3 Rangies and a Freelander.What a great little car - I love it's simplicity! Even if/when I do get another P38A, D3 or L322 I reckon I'll keep the Zook for fun. With a bit of time and money it could be an awesome off-road toy. There are some brilliant mods available for them too. I'm sending it off to Hume Off Road next week for a "what does it need doing to it, and what CAN we do to it" session :cool:. My son wants to buy it off me when I get another Rangie... we'll see.

If you see this little black Zook around Canberra or Queanbeyan, please be nice. After driving a 2.5 tonne P38A for the past 5 years, I'm still getting used to the idea of driving around in something that would be the "crumple zone" to a Land Rover (to paraphrase Blknight.Aus' sig line) :)

cheers
Paul.

DirtyDawg
21st November 2008, 06:09 AM
No wonder premiums are so high...you can intentionally take your car into harms way **** it up and they pay out.....they should make the self proclaimed 4wd expert who said "follow me" shell out...next time he might pause and say no to deep for an luxury vehicle full of electrics to cross.
Glad he never said it was ok to drive off a cliff:eek:

cucinadio
21st November 2008, 06:20 AM
No wonder premiums are so high...you can intentionally take your car into harms way **** it up and they pay out.....they should make the self proclaimed 4wd expert who said "follow me" shell out...next time he might pause and say no to deep for an luxury vehicle full of electrics to cross.

:o .......theres obviously an inside joke I'm missing....;)

but owwwwchhhhh that hurt !!!!!!!

dobbo
21st November 2008, 06:30 AM

Call to claims office centre: Recently whilst visiting a Monster truck show, I parked my new Aston Martin in a safe place out of harms way from the general populus and their wanting eyes, sticky fingers and itchy hands toking car keys, you never guess what happened next. :D

mike 90 RR
21st November 2008, 08:39 AM
They are quite versatile ... Paul

You can use em as a ladder ... Also good for letting your inlaws know that they are driving you up ...... http://www.breezeindustries.com/photos/randy_wall.jpg

:p

PaulP38a
22nd November 2008, 12:34 AM
Hi Mike - nice, but don't think my little zook will be trying that just yet.

Took it for a short run over a dirt track today that I hardly even noticed in the Rangie... the little thing shook like it had no suspension at all. It's now booked in to get new leaf springs, shocks, steering damper plus a 2" suspension lift. Should then be able to fit some 30" or 31" Cooper ST or similar to it. Looks like I'm spending the payout figure on the Rangie before it's even written off :)

cheers
Paul.

mike 90 RR
22nd November 2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Mike - nice, but don't think my little zook will be trying that just yet.

Took it for a short run over a dirt track today that I hardly even noticed in the Rangie... the little thing shook like it had no suspension at all. It's now booked in to get new leaf springs, shocks, steering damper plus a 2" suspension lift. Should then be able to fit some 30" or 31" Cooper ST or similar to it. Looks like I'm spending the payout figure on the Rangie before it's even written off :)

cheers
Paul.

It was a rough ride because it has LEAF spring suspension ... Also it is short wheel base

The RR's are all coil ..... If you want a Good allrounder that will survive water flood & mountains... Try a 1990 EFI RR Classic .... as it has all the goodies .... and ONLY 1 COMPUTER ... that can be removed from the floor location and (if you wanted to) nailed to the roof real easy :p

They are the following
comfortable
Coil sprung
Electric window
Air conditioned
Versitile
Head turner
V8
Auto
did I mention .... comfortable

AND usually .... the previous owner has done all the required mods to swim and tackle mountains :)

Enjoy the Zuzi tho .... but remember that .... IMHO ..... Heavy Duty springs will only make ride rougher :(

Mike

:)

PaulP38a
22nd November 2008, 09:35 AM
It was a rough ride because it has LEAF spring suspension ... Also it is short wheel base

And 3 of those leaf springs are almost flat. But I knew that when I bought the car, so the upgrade is factored in to the initial set-up costs. :)

The RR's are all coil ..... If you want a Good allrounder that will survive water flood & mountains... Try a 1990 EFI RR Classic .... as it has all the goodies .... and ONLY 1 COMPUTER ... that can be removed from the floor location and (if you wanted to) nailed to the roof real easy

They are the following
comfortable
Coil sprung
Electric window
Air conditioned
Versitile
Head turner
V8
Auto
did I mention .... comfortable

Yeah, the later model RRC's are very nice too. I had a 1987 RRC HiLine which was very comfy and capable although it developed the usual problems:
- blown head gasket
- rust in the top tailgate
- the occassional Lucas "prince of darkness" electrical problem

Previously I had a 1984 RRC which was rough as guts and not very comfy at all. Land Rover made some big improvements in comfort and handling between the 1984 and 1987 models.

My 1987 RRC was tough as nails and a great car to drive both on and off road. That was about 8 years ago. Since then I've had a Freelander (fun, but limited where it can go) and the P38A.

I'll try to can track down a RRC (pre EAS) as you suggest to go for a drive again.

I'll be keeping the Suzi as well - for my son.

cheers
Paul.