PDA

View Full Version : RRC Power Steering Hoses

Brick
28th November 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi all,

Just had a new set of power steering hoses made up for the rangey (86) after blowing a couple of holes in the high pressure hose. I left the old hoses at the joint that made up the new ones.

One of the thing I remember was that there were some O rings on the ends that are screwed into the pump and box. The new ones do not have them. Are these necessary (I assume so) and can anyone advise if they should be a square section ring or round section? I can only go on memory as my manuals do not indicate anything at all, and one looked like a square section but could also from being in the same position for a number of years.

Thanks

pomonastik
29th November 2008, 01:14 AM
just being a devil's advocate hear but have you considered why your pas hose let go ? i went through a fair amount of trouble with leaks. i had a hosedoctor make me a new h/p one (i'm sure there were o-rings) and it did reduce weepage from the hose unions. the only trouble was the BIG leak just migrated to the steering box input seal.
the breakthrough came with the aquisition and fitting of a good s/h pump. it has never leaked a drop from that day forward. one of my symptoms was very heavy aeration of the fluid visible in the reservoir when in use. i think the pump had been drawing air.

Brick
1st December 2008, 01:05 AM
Pomonastik,

Was a couple of holes in the steel HP pipe. Suspect that may have previously been hit on a rock. Need to get one of those u-beaut radiator/steering rod guards.

Had a closer look at the new ones, and found they did have O rings, just had been painted with the ends so did not stand out. Fitted them yesterday and bled the system today after getting some new fluid. Looking real good until sprayed fluid out of the join from the HP rubber hose into the HP steel hose. The join was able to rotate, so not sure if was meant to allow for the hose to be installed and all lined up and then tightened. Got dark so will look at it later in the week when I have time and a bit more light.