PDA

View Full Version : Charge light coming on

Phoenix
4th December 2008, 08:03 AM
Ok, the patient is a 1981 Series 3 LWB land rover with a holden engine conversion, specifically a 173 from a VB commodore.

The question is, the last 2 days on the way to work (30 mins highway each way) the charge light has been coming on from just perceptable to about 1.2 lit. I'm sure this hapopened once before, and was due to bad wiring, but any ideas where the cause could be?

I did smell some burning plastic, and the motor was running a bit hot yesterday because of low oil (took 1 litre this morning :eek: ). However I couldn't find anything in the usual places bneside the exhaust or under the bonnet, and no smoke was escaping from the dash.

JDNSW
4th December 2008, 10:39 AM
It will probably be a high resistance somewhere between the alternator indicator terminal and the battery via the light and the ignition circuit. It could be anywhere, but I would suspect any connectors plus the ignition switch itself. Could also be a partial short in this circuit, or, of course, and alternator problem.

John

Phoenix
4th December 2008, 10:43 AM
mm, I have some dodgy wiring around the ignition barrel, I suspects that where my problem will lie then!

Last time I found a small wire with melted sheath wrapped around the ignitian barrel contacts that caused a host of problems. At least I know where to look in my lunchbreak now. and where to look if I can't see anything there.

Thanks John.

Rangier Rover
4th December 2008, 10:06 PM
Altenator Diodes may be cooked?

justinc
4th December 2008, 10:35 PM
VB comm would've had a bosch internally regulated alternator. These have a replaceable brush and regulator assembly on the back of the alternator housing, a square shape with 2 screws, black or red in colour.

Usually a glowing and slowly getting brighter over a few days warning lamp is a brush problem.

These regulatrs cost less than $50, but it is possible that the slip rings are also worn out. This will require an alternator overhaul:(

JC

Phoenix
5th December 2008, 09:09 AM
Good thing the motor is coming out next weekend then LOL ;)

LandyAndy
6th December 2008, 07:31 PM
That light means,drop a gear and floor the pedal in ex milatry landies doesnt it????
Andrew

Panda
8th December 2008, 01:29 PM
The charge light on the SIII has been on for the last couple of years! :o

I remember quite a few years ago, when my son was still little, I was driving my son & his friend to the pool. I had loads of fun, putting on the blackout lights switch on, whilst simultaneously putting my foot hard down on the exelerator. Told my son's friend it was the "turbo charge switch".

Years later, he still believed me! Didn't we have a laugh! :D

That light means,drop a gear and floor the pedal in ex milatry landies doesnt it????
Andrew