PDA

View Full Version : L322 Alternator Gone

barrangey
9th December 2008, 01:45 PM
Well after 93000km my alternator just gave up today. Must be doing something as it got me home and battery sits at 12.2v when off and 11.88v when running.

My brother in laws L322 required a new alternator at 75,000km so must be my turn. :mad:

Little tip here though, we got a quote for LR item at $2200NZD(and I work at a dealership), BMW X5 item was $980NZD as a customer not trade pricing.... :eek:

Same goes for most things like water pump etc etc, half price round the road. ;)

Scouse
9th December 2008, 02:57 PM
You'll have to get a job like mine at a LR & BMW dealer :).

barrangey
9th December 2008, 03:01 PM
Damn right, we have a BMW branch but it's in Christchurch so too far away.

Do you guys use BMW part on the LR's then? I would advise customers but as we are LR dealer we would get shot, so our poor customers have to pay the HUGE LR loading they put on items......

My parts guy can't get an alternator through LR for less than $1800(I am cost + 10%) yet BMW can sell to me as a customer at $980.......... The Importer is having a laugh

Scouse
9th December 2008, 03:04 PM
We have at times when LR can't supply parts but that was early on & just things like gaskets/seals. Permission was needed for warranty work but LR were fair about it.

Supply doesn't seem to be a problem now with LR so we stick with them.

barrangey
9th December 2008, 03:10 PM
So where do you work, looking for mechanics by any chance? I was in Engadine for a year in 2006 and have since been in Dunedin NZ. Was over for a holiday again this year(August) and a sort of sight seeing to moving there(my partner had never been).:o

Unfortunately the house pricing has meant we will be another couple of years before we are ready to move.:(:mad: I notice you are in Casula, my Uncle in Engadine has a carpet cleaning business that worked for Bankstown Homecare while I was there and I done a fair bit of work out there, bloody enjoyed carpet cleaning too as strange as that seems...... :D

Here I am the Porsche and Land Rover mechanic at our dealership, love the work but not the place, too bloody cold. :mad:

andrew e
10th December 2008, 10:01 AM
Little tip here though, we got a quote for LR item at $2200NZD(and I work at a dealership), BMW X5 item was $980NZD as a customer not trade pricing.... :eek:

Thats only about $100Au isnt it? :p

Scouse
10th December 2008, 10:07 AM
So where do you work, looking for mechanics by any chance? Parramatta but a few techs have just been put off due to the downturn in the motor trade. I doubt there will be any jobs going in the foreseeable future :(.

PaulP38a
10th December 2008, 11:23 PM
Here I am the Porsche and Land Rover mechanic at our dealership, love the work but not the place, too bloody cold. :mad:

Come to Canberra... please. We could do with some competition among the 2.5 LR mechanics down here.
Oh, did you say you don't like the cold? never mind then... :(
It only gets cold here between ANZAC Day and Armistice Day, and tonight.
cheers, Paul.

barrangey
11th December 2008, 04:50 AM
Thats only about $100Au isnt it? :p

Your not far wrong at the moment!! :o

I won't be looking to move for another 2 years anyway, never been to Canberra but if it's cold I ain't going........ No point in moving from Scotland to another cold climate, which is exactly what I have here in Dunedin. In fact it's worse here than Scotland, we had snow 3 weeks ago and hail last week. You never get that in summer in Scotland. :mad:

Scouse
11th December 2008, 07:27 AM
we had snow 3 weeks ago and hail last week. You never get that in summer in Scotland. :mad:Did you read the recent NSW trip report just outside Sydney?
Snow, 2 weeks out from summer!!

willem
11th December 2008, 08:04 AM
Did you read the recent NSW trip report just outside Sydney?

And they call it global warming!? :confused:

Willem

barrangey
11th December 2008, 04:17 PM
Did you read the recent NSW trip report just outside Sydney?

I went and read that but it was 2-3 degrees here and snow down to sea level, was like being back in winter. Spent a winter in Engadine and was more than happy with the weather :D