PDA

View Full Version : UHF in a D3 - Where have you mounted it?

WhiteD3
19th December 2008, 09:21 AM
Gents,

In the market for a UHF radio and would appreciated info and pics on what you have and where you have installed it in the cabin.

Cheers.

Will
19th December 2008, 05:12 PM
Purchased a GME TX3340 when they first came out for the D3 because I couldn't find anywhere for the old unit to go. I fitted it under the driver's side foot well area on the left side. There are a couple of bolt heads that protrude from the front fire wall.

Made a small flat 'U' shape bracket to fit onto these bolts and fitted the GME unit to this. Works a treat, no need for an auxiliary speaker either. The remote headphone is fitted to the left side of the driver side dash.

Hope this helps - no camera available.

dmdigital
19th December 2008, 05:21 PM
My advice would be to look at either the GME TX3440 or the ICOM IC-440. I have the ICOM in my new Defender and whilst it is a more expensive unit it is a better unit in that the speaker, controls and mic are all in handset where as the GME has the speaker in the base unit. The ICOM also comes with a very long extension lead for the handset.

The beauty of both these units is you can mount the base unit anywhere (though the GME may then require a remote speaker) and only have the handset on the dash area. For example you could mount it under the seats, inside the dash or glove-box or behind any interior panel with empty space big enough to fit.

GBL120755
20th December 2008, 05:14 PM
I fitted a GME TX3340. Fits under the dash with the cord running out through the top of the panel under the steering wheel - left hand side near the center radio tower. The handset sits either in the cup holder or the cubby hole above the radio.

As all the controls are in the handset you can tuck the unit virtually anywhere.

jik22
20th December 2008, 06:21 PM
This is where my iCom remote head VHF/UHF radio sits. Main unit is under the passenger seat.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/12/622.jpg (http://www.aulro.com/app/showphoto.php/photo/12280)

300+
20th December 2008, 08:04 PM
I have a 5W handheld which fits into the space in front of the gear lever - the antenna sticks out past the gear lever. I have a remote mic on it which I clip to my seatbelt at chest height.

I have a 12v charger lead so it will run indefinitely. The unit is a GME 6000 something ebay special.

There is also the option to fit a remote antenna to this unit.

When I got this there wasn't any wired in units with the controls on the mic, so it seemed the best option. So far range with the built in antenna has been fine. Especially as most people I talk to use 0.5w handhelds.

Cheers, Steve

CaverD3
20th December 2008, 10:38 PM
Purchased a GME TX3340 when they first came out for the D3 because I couldn't find anywhere for the old unit to go. I fitted it under the driver's side foot well area on the left side. There are a couple of bolt heads that protrude from the front fire wall.

Made a small flat 'U' shape bracket to fit onto these bolts and fitted the GME unit to this. Works a treat, no need for an auxiliary speaker either. The remote headphone is fitted to the left side of the driver side dash.

Hope this helps - no camera available.

Thanks, wanted to put one in mine and the area under above the drivers foodwell is the only space i have not used.
Looks like a solution. :D

Timj
20th December 2008, 11:46 PM
I have an Icom 5w handheld (can't remember the model off hand but I think there is only one) and it can have an external aerial plugged in and a microphone that includes the speaker. So I have an aerial on the bull bar that has the wire through the firewall with the end sitting just in front of the passenger seat. The handheld just sits down between the seat and console neatly out of the way, plugs into the aerial wire and the mic sits next to the gear lever. When we are on trips the chanel and other settings never need to be changed so it works well. Works out of the car as well which can be useful. I am sure there is a 12 volt charger available but I have had it last a whole weekend on one charge so haven't bothered.

Tim.

300+
21st December 2008, 09:35 AM
I am sure there is a 12 volt charger available but I have had it last a whole weekend on one charge so haven't bothered.

Tim.

The GME hand held charges through the remote antenna connection, which is clever.

I just use a regular 12v charger as I don't have the remote antenna.

Cheers, Steve

rovers1952
21st December 2008, 11:30 AM
Drilled the minimum size hole under RHS of rubber mat to accept aerial and power cable without ends in them. Passed cables down inside of facia left of drivers knee and thru the unused clutch cable grommit in bulkhead. Will need to lower panel under steering wheel.