PDA

View Full Version : Its not april the first is it

bussy1963
22nd December 2008, 01:35 PM
Walk in camping and Backpacking yeah right.

Old saying "If you cant drive to it. It aint worth going too":):):):)

hiline
22nd December 2008, 01:41 PM
you a middle aged fat bastard as well :D;)

Dinty
22nd December 2008, 02:41 PM
G'day All, Well I'm a few seconds off 60 and I would still go backpacking so long as it wasn't to extreme, and no I don't mean walking around woolies either ;):p:p cheers Dennis:wasntme:

numpty
22nd December 2008, 03:13 PM

I walked the Overland Track in Tassie a couple of years ago and I'm glad it's not possible to drive to such wonderful places. It would end up buggered like a lot of the drive in places are now.

And I'm going on 56 too.

bruiser69
22nd December 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm interested in walk in camping, am over 55 and did 75K+ Queen Charlotte track in Marlborough Sounds NZ last November.
This walk is in the top 10 in the world, and you can camp it or stay in lodges along the way quite cheaply as we did.
I'd attach some shots, but the file size allowed n forums would not do justice to this magnificent place.

Maybe others can share their walking & camping adventures.

Cheers..B:)

weeds
22nd December 2008, 04:05 PM
I walked the Overland Track in Tassie a couple of years ago and I'm glad it's not possible to drive to such wonderful places. It would end up buggered like a lot of the drive in places are now.

And I'm going on 56 too.

i am keen to do this track however i would need a porter (ia that what they call them) these days.....and i'm only 37:(

Col.Coleman
22nd December 2008, 04:08 PM

How do you think they discovered it was there to build a road?

IMO the best places to see takes a couple of days walk, and no you can't get there by car.

I thought people with that attitude bought Landbruisers and Pootrols, or are the payloads that poor now once you fit a family of fatties in there is no room left for anything else.:twisted:

Maybe that is why they whinge that defenders are uncomforatble.:p

Plenty of other sections for you:D

CC

Gooner
22nd December 2008, 04:21 PM
i am keen to do this track however i would need a porter (ia that what they call them) these days.....and i'm only 37:(

Im with you mate - although I'd add a medical team on standby in case my heart exploded.
It's my Disco's fault that it's so damn capable that it gets me to every place I want to get to???:cool:

weeds
22nd December 2008, 08:17 PM
''

Pffft.......if I can carry a pack anyone can ;)

correct......however a workplace injury fixed my back good and proper, with two boys and plenty of adventerous things to do i only dream of having my time over again and maybe having a better back

what are your rates as a porter 'sherpa'

weeds
22nd December 2008, 08:42 PM
Very high :D:D

$$$ per blister eh:D;):p

numpty
23rd December 2008, 08:31 AM
Weeds, there's a mob that does guided walks on the Overland Track. You only carry a day pack and they provide all meals (including wine) and private hut accomodation complete with showers. It does cost though.

We spent a week in May, walked Sth to Nth (only in off season) and stayed in the huts overnight. Even had the 80 bed Pelion Hut to ourselves (4 of us). All our packs weighed 20 Kg's, which included 1 compulsory tent between us. Glad we didn't have to resort to that as it would have been a tad squeezy. Weather varied from crap to worse and some fine stuff. Of the 4 peaks we intended to attempt, we only managed Cradle Mountain on the last day, as the weather closed in too badly at each of the others.

Fantastic week though.

And Cooloola Wilderness Trail is a doddle. I've canoed the length of Teewah Ck to the Noosa River and down to Harry's Hut. That's a nice few days too.

Captain_Rightfoot
23rd December 2008, 08:43 AM

You'd need at least one porter per Engel ! :wasntme: :eek::eek:

Bushwanderer
13th January 2009, 08:00 PM
Weeds, there's a mob that does guided walks on the Overland Track. You only carry a day pack and they provide all meals (including wine) and private hut accomodation complete with showers. It does cost though.

We spent a week in May, walked Sth to Nth (only in off season) and stayed in the huts overnight. Even had the 80 bed Pelion Hut to ourselves (4 of us). All our packs weighed 20 Kg's, which included 1 compulsory tent between us. Glad we didn't have to resort to that as it would have been a tad squeezy. Weather varied from crap to worse and some fine stuff. Of the 4 peaks we intended to attempt, we only managed Cradle Mountain on the last day, as the weather closed in too badly at each of the others.

Fantastic week though.

SNIP

My partner, Erika, and I have "done" the Overland Tk, with a side trip to Pine Valley. It was nothing short of superb.

It's now become so popular that you have to book & only walk from N to S.

Erika has been given the chance to do it in March (supported). We're calling it the "Chardonnay" trip. :D

I'm sure she'll have a great time.

numpty
14th January 2009, 04:47 PM
My partner, Erika, and I have "done" the Overland Tk, with a side trip to Pine Valley. It was nothing short of superb.

It's now become so popular that you have to book & only walk from N to S.

Erika has been given the chance to do it in March (supported). We're calling it the "Chardonnay" trip. :D

I'm sure she'll have a great time.

She'll love it.

You can walk S to N, but only outside the designated terrorist;) season. I'd like to do it again and would probably go N to S, to get the different perspective.

reeksyofoz
13th June 2009, 04:56 PM
Good to see this section of the forum! :)

... the sole reason i'm buying a Defender is so that I can get to the places where a lot of the good walks start which is also where most of the best parts of this great country are! ;)

I look forward to reading more of everyone's stories, and I'll post up my website in due course, but if you're interested in photos, here's links to a few photo sets from the last year:

Alps Easter 09 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/reeksyofoz/sets/72157616919460089/)

NSW Parks Christmas 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/reeksyofoz/sets/72157612218177617/)

South Australia Winter 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/reeksyofoz/sets/72157606446706090/)