PDA

View Full Version : Tarp for under the tent

catch-22
20th January 2009, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

what kind of tarp do you recommend I use under my tent? Canvas or plastic? Army grade?

Cheers
Caine

Col.Coleman
20th January 2009, 11:59 AM
Shade cloth.

CC

Armadillo
20th January 2009, 12:12 PM
We have been using a cheap plastic blue type for 18 months. Works fine. :)

Blknight.aus
20th January 2009, 12:20 PM
I use one of the extra cheap ones from the discount shops like the warehouse, Its about twice the size of the tent so I use it folded in half, when we pack up if the car or the trailer is dirty, the gear is dirty and we have other stuff we want to keep clean the tarp is folded so the dirty sides are together and then everything goes back on top of the tarp in the car or trailer. the tarp is then folded over and tied down.

Its big enough so it can double up as a clean workplace, wind break, huge sunshade anything else you might need to use it for.

chunk
20th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Caine, I have a 26ft canvas tent and I use the blue plastic tarp. I also use a large green plastic tarp as a fly which gives me extra dry storage down the sides of the tent. I use the ridge pole as the main support and then I peg it on all sides so that there is a nice gap between the tent and the tarp to let the air flow through.

I have used this setup in some very heavy rain in Port Macquarie, Noosa and Fraser Island and never got wet gear yet.

Jeff

Redback
20th January 2009, 02:18 PM
Shade cloth.

CC

X 2.

Baz.

inside
20th January 2009, 05:59 PM
Shade cloth.
Shade cloth is good because it doesn't kill the grass and dirt can fall through it.

The ho har's
20th January 2009, 06:07 PM
Well we have used shadcloth for years...........but now we use an Enviormat which is not slippery like shade cloth can be, is a lot thicker and it doesn't kill the grass......in front of the tent anyway:D

Mrs ho har:angel:

stevo68
20th January 2009, 06:11 PM
x 3 on the shade cloth...though I need a bigger piece as these pics show in my thread on the oztent. http://www.aulro.com/afvb/camping-tucker-bush-basics/71071-oztents-inaugural-test-tonight.html

Regards

Stevo

The ho har's
20th January 2009, 06:17 PM
x 3 on the shade cloth...though I need a bigger piece as these pics show in my thread on the oztent. http://www.aulro.com/afvb/camping-tucker-bush-basics/71071-oztents-inaugural-test-tonight.html

Regards

Stevo

like you new avatar.....you know stevo I may need to get a better pic of my disco..........as yours is showing me up atm..but mine does have water over the bonnet:p

Mrs ho har

inside
20th January 2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry Inside....but wouldn't the fact that there is a tent parked on top of the shade cloth kill the grass :D
I guess I need to clarify that this is tents with awnings and you bring the shade cloth out past the front door so it's under the tent and awning.

The ho har's
20th January 2009, 07:12 PM
so the bit under the awning is OK but the bit under the tent still kills the grass :D

It's OK Inside...with or without the shadecloth the tent will kill the grass if its parked there long enough :D

Our tent is never there long enough to kill the grass...we very rarely stay more than 2 nights unless it is really an exciting place:D but that doesn't happen that often in the bush:D

LandyAndy
20th January 2009, 07:22 PM
Shadecloth for sure.The bigger the sheet the better,more layers= better sand removal:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: We get no sand in the tent at our favourite sandy camping spot.If it rains the wet sand brushes off/into the shadecloth,still NO sand in the tent;);););)
Andrew

inside
20th January 2009, 07:26 PM
so the bit under the awning is OK but the bit under the tent still kills the grass :D

It's OK Inside...with or without the shadecloth the tent will kill the grass if its parked there long enough :D
Nothing like being patronised after a day's work.

The ho har's
20th January 2009, 07:46 PM
I can't believe you have never found a spot worthy of more than 2 nights:(
I think there is so much to do at some places 2 nights is not enough.....even the bush can be exciting...plenty of stuff to explore out there

I could SIT for days.......BUT.....Ho har needs to be active all the time :( he is trying to learn to sit and relax but these things happen slowly:( I really don't think he will ever retire:mad: his father didn't till he was 75 and by then I think will arrrrrrrr wellllll

perhaps I need to find someone how loves to sit and do nothing:eek:

Bushie
22nd January 2009, 09:36 PM
Ideally, you would pick what you put under your tent by the conditions. Nothing worse than waiting for the tent to dry only to find the water that got between the floor and the tarp hasn't dried so you still have wet tent to pack up. Definitely a better situation with shade cloth.

Having said that we've always used a tarp - the stuff they put down when doing 2nd floor additions (fairly heavy)

Martyn

Blknight.aus
22nd January 2009, 10:01 PM
I guess I need to clarify that this is tents with awnings and you bring the shade cloth out past the front door so it's under the tent and awning.

that being the case then you go the shade cloth and a smaller tarp to either go under the main part of the tent to stop rotting grass from grabbing a lift into the tent bag when you pack up and then to protect the inside or outside of one thing from the outside or inside of the other while stowed.

I also throw down one of those old cut up conveyor rubber door mats outside the main part of the tent if we're going that way.