PDA

View Full Version : UHF Where?

Jock The Rock
26th January 2009, 06:04 PM
Gday

Just got a working GME TX3200 off a mate of mine.

Searched through the forum and found a few threads, but most people had mounted theres on the centre cubby box which seemed a good idea but...

My problem is I dont have one

So where would you put it?

Can people post up pics of where theirs are?

I've thought about in the roof lining but Id prefer something easier to see

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/01/322.jpg

Chucaro
26th January 2009, 06:19 PM
Can you fit it under the stereo?
I just installed in Rustic a Mud centre console and there is a room for the 2 radios.
Cheers

dmdigital
26th January 2009, 06:28 PM
This is the reason I prefer the remote head type units. Then you can mount the control part a lot easier and stick the base unit anywhere in the vehicle (like under the centre seat). I'd agree with the radio comment or up above the mirror in a roof pod (though personally I dislike that method)

Jock The Rock
26th January 2009, 06:30 PM
Can you fit it under the stereo?
I just installed in Rustic a Mud centre console and there is a room for the 2 radios.
Cheers

Just had a look. Na wont fit :(

Yeah I saw that, how much did that set you back?

Also I use the middle seat a bit (friends of mine) does it take up much room?

Jock The Rock
26th January 2009, 06:33 PM
This is the reason I prefer the remote head type units. Then you can mount the control part a lot easier and stick the base unit anywhere in the vehicle (like under the centre seat). I'd agree with the radio comment or up above the mirror in a roof pod (though personally I dislike that method)

Yeh I did want one of those, I saw a fella who mounted his control part behind the rearview mirror and then the radio inside the roof lining. But I couldnt afford one. My mate needed the money and I wanted the radio :D

Ill most likely sell this one when I have some spare money and get one of those type

Chucaro
26th January 2009, 07:05 PM
Just had a look. Na wont fit :(

Yeah I saw that, how much did that set you back?

Also I use the middle seat a bit (friends of mine) does it take up much room?

The Mud console with 3 switches, Land rover logo, 12 volts DC power output and labels for the swithches cost me $ $ 223.75 ozi dollars including postage.

Cheers

Jock The Rock
26th January 2009, 08:35 PM
The Mud console with 3 switches, Land rover logo, 12 volts DC power output and labels for the swithches cost me $ $ 223.75 ozi dollars including postage.

Cheers

Not sure I can afford that at the moment with all the other plans I have

Might just make something temporary

TwoUp
27th January 2009, 10:48 AM
Jock the Rock,
I placed mine in the roof about Sept 1998 and it is still there. Had to extend the mic which was a little tricky as it has apart from others, a single copper strand that I had a bugger of a time trying to solder. Fortunately my son (who has more dexterity than myself) came to the rescue and could hold it without breaking.

Now in the roof where the lining is located is a good securing point. I just used spring butterfly bolts that have never let go and I guess after over 200K they will not.

I usually run on only one freq, but have no trouble changing and use the mirror to see what it is set on. I instinctively turn it on or off and use squelch whithout looking.

I will try and post a couple of pics.....

Regards,
Peter

JamesH
27th January 2009, 06:21 PM
Can't post any pics but a mate has a truck cab and he has his mounted under the dash. he also has another unti for talking to the fireys so I know it can be done

Don't get TX3400 or cubby box envy. I have both and while the remote head unit looks schmick mounted on the front of the box, the unit an speaker is inside the box. This turned out to be a bad idea coz I need to have the lid open to hear it. I suspect you mounting it under the centre seat with a mate's backside parked on it will lead to the same problem

Make/find a mounting bracket for the TX3200 hang it under the dash in the centre and you'll be fine with that.

Nothing says "going to a party" like three abreast in the front of a Defender.

Huwmungus
16th February 2009, 07:51 PM
I moved the radio to the left and put my uhf between the radio and the vent handle, works well

Jock The Rock
16th February 2009, 07:59 PM
This is where I ended up putting it temporarily

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/02/567.jpg

Ill be looking on eBay and getting a new radio, and fitting it like DODGE has done (#9)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defender-county/70247-cb-radio-mounting-locations.html

George130
16th February 2009, 09:51 PM
I have the head down where you guys have the gear stick:p.