PDA

View Full Version : p38 over heating!!!!!!!

**Discovery300Tdi**
27th January 2009, 04:54 PM
g'day guys,

just was wondering if anyone could help???? my rangie has been heating up lately. just flushed out the radiator a few days ago and topped her up. mind you i've had this heating up problem even before that. now i'll be driving for about 30mins when the temp goes up slowly till it hits the red. get out open bonnet and see alot of preasure coming from the coolant res. go and squeeze the top rad hose and it is hard as a rock, open the coolant res and the preasure is crazy, then the top hose is soft agqain. there is no thermotat, well i think there isn't??? were can i find it????? had a look when i took the top rad hose off and theres no thermostat there?????

please help!!!!
cheers simon

willem
27th January 2009, 05:01 PM
g'day guys,

just was wondering if anyone could help???? my rangie has been heating up lately. just flushed out the radiator a few days ago and topped her up. mind you i've had this heating up problem even before that. now i'll be driving for about 30mins when the temp goes up slowly till it hits the red. get out open bonnet and see alot of preasure coming from the coolant res. go and squeeze the top rad hose and it is hard as a rock, open the coolant res and the preasure is crazy, then the top hose is soft agqain. there is no thermotat, well i think there isn't??? were can i find it????? had a look when i took the top rad hose off and theres no thermostat there?????

please help!!!!
cheers simon

Sorry Simon, but it sounds awfully like a blown head gasket to me. They were the symptoms I have had with 3 RRCs so far, and in each case that was the problem. The way to check is to take it to a radiator place and they will test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Willem

**Discovery300Tdi**
27th January 2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry Simon, but it sounds awfully like a blown head gasket to me. They were the symptoms I have had with 3 RRCs so far, and in each case that was the problem. The way to check is to take it to a radiator place and they will test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Willem

g'day matey

well thats great news lol!!!:mad: had a feelin it was something like that. are they fun to change???? how much are the gaskets??? cheers mate

ivery819
27th January 2009, 05:24 PM
The thermostat is in a plastic housing attached to the lower radiator hose and can be accessed from underneath the front of the vehicle.

Your symptoms would tend to indicate slipped cylinder liners(although there can be other causes )....and if it has been hot (in the red ) you can nearly guarantee the liners will be the problem. Is it using water ?

**Discovery300Tdi**
27th January 2009, 05:28 PM
The thermostat is in a plastic housing attached to the lower radiator hose and can be accessed from underneath the front of the vehicle.

Your symptoms would tend to indicate slipped cylinder liners(although there can be other causes )....and if it has been hot (in the red ) you can nearly guarantee the liners will be the problem. Is it using water ?

no im not loosing any water at all, no leaks. just alot of preasure when i open the coolant resi. thinking it might be themostat sticking. i hope!!!!! lol

mike 90 RR
27th January 2009, 05:28 PM
g'day guys,

please help!!!!
cheers simon

Flushing don't help much .... You have to rod it clean ;)
I think your thermostat is located "at / along" the "Bottom" radiator hose location

When it heats up .... are we talking Hwy speeds ...

Mike

:)

**Discovery300Tdi**
27th January 2009, 05:32 PM
Flushing don't help much .... You have to rod it clean ;)
I think your thermostat is located "at / along" the "Bottom" radiator hose location

When it heats up .... are we talking Hwy speeds ...

Mike

it heats up very slowly on the freeway but is stable ,but mainly start/stop driving. this heat dont help either. :thumbsdown:

mike 90 RR
27th January 2009, 05:51 PM
it heats up very slowly on the freeway but is stable ,but mainly start/stop driving. this heat dont help either. :thumbsdown: Yep ... Rod it

We could go the Expensive way and recon your motor .... or you could rip out the radiator and spent less than $150 and install a new thermostat & ROD the radiator ...... Many have had the same complaint ... and this has solved the problem :)

It's Hot weather and your A/C that ain't helping .... If that don't cure it ... then you have to put a "gas test kit" into the coolant to find out if you indeed have a head problem

I would stop driving it now and do it (Rod the radiator) pronto .... as constant overheating of the motor will lead to head problems VERY fast

A trick to help "keep the edge of cool" of the motor is to wind down the windows and turn the heater onto "flat out hot" ... you'l cook but it helps the radiator

Mike

dck7aok
27th January 2009, 05:51 PM
Have seen same symptoms from failing viscous fan clutch...cheaper fix too.

**Discovery300Tdi**
27th January 2009, 06:37 PM
how do you open the housing with the thermostat????

mike 90 RR
27th January 2009, 10:20 PM
how do you open the housing with the thermostat????

.... I don't know ... But someone else will

In the mean time ... consider one of these for your laptop Dave's Interesting Things - RRMANP38A-L322 (http://www.davesitshop.com/davesitshop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=8)

Mike

andrew e
27th January 2009, 11:24 PM
there is no thermostat in the motor, just in the bottom hose. its a light brown colour. pull it out and put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens.

Andy

Remy
28th January 2009, 10:06 PM
Are your front electric fans working?
If you are starting and stopping a lot on these hot days and your fans are not working then no air is going through your radiator to cool you car. See this thread for a quick fix to get them going.
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/range-rover/68496-p38-radiator-what-options.html

Cheers,
remy

HSE30
24th February 2009, 12:19 PM
.... I don't know ... But someone else will

In the mean time ... consider one of these for your laptop Dave's Interesting Things - RRMANP38A-L322 (http://www.davesitshop.com/davesitshop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=8)

Mike

You can't open the housing, it's moulded plastic. Have you found it? down the bottom of the radiator facing in toward the motor. All you can do is check that it's opening or stuck open. if either replace.
Regards Russell.