PDA

View Full Version : Im after a fairly inexpensive rod...

A Commodore cant 4x4
22nd February 2009, 10:10 AM
Just after a few pointers on a rod and reel. Im after a 10-12 foot beach rod and reel. Ive been told to go around 7-10kg. I dont want to spend a bomb on it, as I dont get to go fishing much.

So, spending underr $200, what would be a good buy?

Many thanks
-Fishing Gumby-

Mick-Kelly
22nd February 2009, 11:23 AM
Very dependent on type of reel prefered. An Alvey sidecast is an excellent reel and very simple to use. Personally i prefer threadline reels for a faster retrieve for chucking lures around. Soft plastics are deadly in the surf.

VladTepes
22nd February 2009, 01:08 PM
What I know about fishing you could write on the back of a stamp but the soft plastics idea sounds good to me as means no need to have bait. Always got the option then of lure or pippis.

Cheers

LandyAndy
22nd February 2009, 02:13 PM
Watch out for Easter discounts in the camping/fishing stores for combo deals.
Also member Naradataranto has a couple of tackle shops.Would be worth contacting him.
Enjoy the fish,busting to get out myself and chase a salmon or 2.
Andrew

slug_burner
22nd February 2009, 09:33 PM
Most of these will satisfy your budget

surf fishing rods (http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/category129_1.htm)

Ugly sticks have been around for ages. I have an abu garcia threadline that does the trick.

The Alvey is good for rock fishing for them weed sucking luderick as you can keep the line tight by winding in or out.

Disco Steve
22nd February 2009, 10:09 PM
Cant go wrong with an ugly stick.;)

A Commodore cant 4x4
23rd February 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the input. It gives me a place to start at the very least. My friend told me today that Big W has a big sale on this week, inc fishing stuff, so might be worthwhile going for a peek.

Cheers.

-Joel-

rovercare
23rd February 2009, 09:04 PM
So am I, but unfortunately mine appears to cost me lots:(

:angel:

johnb44
3rd March 2009, 08:19 PM
where about do you want to fish and what type of fishing do you like :eek:

i have surf fished most of the east coast of aus and each area requires slightly different gear :cool: