PDA

View Full Version : Rovacom Diagnostic Unit for Puma -feedback?

briann
25th February 2009, 07:59 PM
I have received the following offer from Rovacom

"Total cost for Faultmate hardware and SM133 Sw module is around $1200.00" - to suit my 2008 Puma.
Has anyone got experience with this unit?

I have a somewhat technical bent (obviously being a Defender owner!) but only basic PC capability. Is one of these units going to be too much trouble?

dmdigital
25th February 2009, 10:56 PM
I am still unsure of how good Rovacom is with the CANbus system vehicles:confused:

As far as the post-2007 Defenders, it can certainly talk to the ABS/TC unit and Alarm system since these are unchanged from the Td5 Defender (Wabco-D and Lucas 10AS). The BCU and ECU functionality and the use of CANbus is what is new to the Puma.

I have access to the Rovacom forum as I have the product from my Td5 Disco days and there really isn't a lot posted about the new Defender. It is noted in the postings there that it can't do re-mapping of the ECU like before and also that there is "some" limitations to functionality, but no clarification as to what. So far I haven't spoken to anyone with the Puma interface, so I don't know how good it is.

I believe that the D3 and RR/RRS interface from Blackbox Solutions are also not fully functional either, but I will gladly be corrected on this if that is not the case.

Nanocom said in July 08 they would have a unit for the Puma by Sept 08... its now nearly March 09 and nothing yet.

If Blackbox Solutions' Faultmate does work with the new Defender then PC skills aren't the issue as its a very simplistic unit and software to work with.