PDA

View Full Version : New rangie, and mileage expectations

tjk
12th March 2009, 09:30 PM
Hi all. First post here, after about a week of driving my new 2001 HSE. This replaces an 82 era FJ60, so it's been a bit of a change of pace.

I didn't buy the vehicle with expectations of being hugely enviro-friendly, but the mileage is looking a bit worse than I expected. The trip computer is putting me around 24 L/100km, and my first fill indicates this might be a touch on the generous side. My commute is mostly highway driving, plenty of traffic lights but not bumper-to-bumper traffic.

How does this compare to the norm? Any suggestions on what to be looking out for at the 120,000 mark?

big guy
12th March 2009, 09:40 PM
Hmm
looks like a nice car, certainly picked the right year where they sorted most things out.

I only drove a P38 4.6 for 10 days while my mate was in QLD.
I averaged 16L/100.
I was used to driving Rangies though and it does take a little getting used to.
At the beginning, it may need a good tune with a LR agent that knows what they are doing.
Take off from the lights slow and steady and near lights just take foot off the loud pedal a bit early.
Also, if its a high comp motor, it will need premium ULP.

They are great cars while they go and should give good service, remember to never overheat, so have that checked.

Best of luck and there is heaps on here about P38's, some good some not so.

Hoges
12th March 2009, 10:24 PM
Excellent...welcome!

First thing: get onto the Range Rovers (http://www.rangerovers.net) website and then RangeRovers.net • View forum - Range Rover P38A Forum (http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3) which deals specifically with P38A.

All the common problems and fixes on the P38A:
Range Rover P38/4.0/4.6 Common Problems and Fixes (http://rangerovers.net/newrremedies.htm) become a student of this

Also look at RangeRovers.net • View forum - Diagnostic Systems (http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8) for diagnostics.
On this part of the site you can follow the threads to either a laptop or PDA based application which when loaded with the free s/w developed by "Rishi" (PDA) and Storey wilson (laptop) and connected to the OBD plug located up under the glove box near the trans. tunnel with a cable (full details on how to make your own) you can totally reset /adjust/fault find etc the Electronic air suspension...

Download a copy of RAVE...a couple of thousand pages of searchable pdf format workshop/overhaul manuals plus the electronics manual which has every connector etc listed with a photo of where it is...

If you are going to keep the vehicle as a long term proposition, suggest you spend $1,000 or so and buy yourself a Faultmate from Blackbox Solutions https://www.blackbox-solutions.com. This ingenious device in conjunction with a cheap laptop enables you to hack into every ECU in the RR and make your own adjustments/troubleshoot etc

One word of advice: if you get tooo involved it will become an addiction...:cool: you'll know when it happens:twisted:

hope to see more of you on this site and Rangerovers.net!

good luck and welcome (again)!

Hoges

Hoges
12th March 2009, 10:37 PM
PS: sorry...meant to add

re: fuel consumption on a recent 3k round trip...Bris-syd-Cbr-Kiama-sydney-Bathurst -Sofala ...Tenterfield -Beaudesert-Bris averaged 14 +/- 0.5L/100km.
Canberra to Sydney (it's all downhill!) was the best at 11.5L/100km. Steady 95-100kmh...including a roof rack with spare wheel on top...

Just before leaving I had reset the "adaptive values" for the fuel system using a Faultmate (having had to replace an oxygen sensor). Check your compression ratio...it's stamped on the LHS (from driver's seat position) of the block under the exhaust manifold.
Most Australian vehicles were specified with a low compression (8.36:1) engine. It runs very well on 91 RON ULP.

Being a 2001 model your will have the Bosch EFI...much improved in many respects incl stronger transmission, improved brake modulator and quite a few other things

tjk
12th March 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

It looks like I've got some reading to do. :eek: Thanks for putting it all in one place, this might save the "where have you been all my life" moment 12 months down the track, when the answers are at hand. I'm not too worried on the obsessiveness front - it might help me get over my Landcruiser addiction. :)

On the fuel front, it does sound like I can do better. The vehicle has a service history with Lance Dixon in Melbourne, including a minor service within the last 2000 clicks, so I've got some confidence that it's been pretty well looked after on that side of things. I'll run another full tank of premium through before I get too worked up I guess, can't be sure what the previous owner was using.

Thanks again, I'm sure you'll both see plenty more of me around.

stig0000
13th March 2009, 12:18 AM
our 2001 4.6 hse has 60000k on the clook, (yes that 60k) :D an we live ontop of a hill so were ever we go we have to come back up the hill an its mostly town driving,, an we get a bout 15-16, an on the high way i got it to 12, but i was doing a 110.. servied every 5000 to,, witch helps alot
touch wood,, we have only ever had a MAF changed, thats it,, no warrenty to speak off, not even the very best land rover assist,, so hope u have fun with it,, an keep it tip top an it will go for ever

Romulus
13th March 2009, 06:39 PM
my '96 4.6 V8 HSE has 318,000K's, engine was getting tired, tappet/lifter noise and low oil pressure, so I had it rebuilt and only picked it up recently. Probably would have gone for quite a while yet, but since I'll be keeping mine for a while decided to get the engine rebuilt.
My first Disco, '91, 3.5L V8 had 485,000K's on the original engine when I sold it some time ago and was still going strong!
I guess you can have a lemon, but I found with the Rover V8's, stay ahead of them, regular service, NO exception, use good oil, keep 'em tuned and listen for any 'new/weird noises and don't ignore them!!
My partners '96 3.9 V8 Disco has 145,000k's and purrs like a content kitten!

Both the HSE and Disco run on LPG and petrol, (non injection conversions), on petrol about 16L/100 for the HSE and 18L/100 for the Disco, on LPG about 19L and 20L respectively, thats city milage, so not too bad.
We don't floor them either.

Romulus
13th March 2009, 06:41 PM
our 2001 4.6 hse has 60000k on the clook, (yes that 60k) :D an we live ontop of a hill so were ever we go we have to come back up the hill an its mostly town driving,, an we get a bout 15-16, an on the high way i got it to 12, but i was doing a 110.. servied every 5000 to,, witch helps alot
touch wood,, we have only ever had a MAF changed, thats it,, no warrenty to speak off, not even the very best land rover assist,, so hope u have fun with it,, an keep it tip top an it will go for ever

was gonna say, you been to the moon and back yeah?? :-) (60000k)