PDA

View Full Version : Weber Q220 barbeque.

101 Ron
22nd March 2009, 09:11 PM
I just want to give the Weber Q series barbeque's a plug.
I am the sort of person who when camping likes to keep things simple...ie
cook over the fire, or if very wet just use the primus burner as a back up.
A friend of mine who owns a barbeque shop and goes camping showed up a few times with a Weber Q and I found it handy for when the camp fire wasnt right for cooking.
On my advice my missus purchased one the other day for a camp in a place where fires are strictly band as this unfortunently seems to be the way the world is slowly going.
The taste , size, quickness and versatility of this thing is brilliant.
The only thing it will not do is boil the billy.(it will very slowly)
Ten minute steaks, roasts( on a trivett) toast, eggs, vegges.
Small enough to fit in the back of the 4 by and large enough to feed many people from the tailgate of the 4 by
It is so good that when the big barbeque at home rusts away I will not be replacing it.
It works on the fact the hood traps in the heat for even cooking.(roasting)
The fold out wings are a great idea too.
It catches the fat in a small tray.
It uses less gas
Please check it out or find some one who has got one.
Weber Australia - Gas Barbecues (http://www.weberbbq.com.au/gasbarbecues.htm)
Ron

hoadie72
22nd March 2009, 09:19 PM
It's good to get some feedback from an owner as I've been eyeing these off for a while. I've been a bit put off because of their size (hard to fit in a car boot) and price. And not sure how clean they will be if carrying in a car - how clean is the area around where the fat tray sits?

101 Ron
22nd March 2009, 09:43 PM
There are a few different sizes and the small ones are just that.
Even on the small ones , because they cook so fast and well if you want them to ,it is easy to cook in volume.
They stay very clean on the outside and there is no spatter.
The inside will turn black on the hood and lower casting of the barbeque, but this don't matter.
The cooking surfaces are not straight cast iron, but have something in it to make it easy to clean.( paper towel)
The fat and rubbish runs down the inside of the thing due to its shape to a central point to a very easy side out tray which holds a tin foil tray.
Transport is not a problem, so long as you let it cool down.
With the hood down the temp on ours can go to over 300 degrees c.
The biggest draw back is weight and lifting the thing around.
( we have the second biggest version)
The cooking tools can be stored under one of the fold out sides.
We got ours with the optional breakfast plate and roasting trivett which store inside the thing.
Please read the recipes onn the weber Q site and you will be surprised.
Slow cooking is done with the hood up.( toast)
The burner is different too being a large U shaped arrangement.
They are different and the 200 series downwards good for camping .

waynep
24th March 2009, 08:11 AM
We've had the middle sized one for a while and although exxy to purchase, we find it great.

If you're getting the small or mid sized one, and are going to do a lot of roasts, consider the option for the higher lid and temp guage.

Instead of getting the big patio stand, we got the cheaper folding stand which turns into a trolley so we can transport it.

We've not taken it camping yet but it would be great if we were staying in one place for a while. A 4.5kg gas bottle lasts for ages.

( better than taking the monster 4 burner barbie on the back of a ute like I've seen often ) :o