PDA

View Full Version : L322 Brake service costs

DirtyDawg
27th March 2009, 05:23 AM
Well got the L322 back from the dealer, with new rangies don't just change the pads evey 35-50ks they insist on changing the rotors as well at $1200 because the weight of the vehicle it eats into the discs. So the cost,which I thought is not too bad, service and brakes $2400 for all you budding L322 owners.

big guy
27th March 2009, 07:43 AM
Not too bad!!!

Modern discs are meant to wear, I get that but it seems the running costs of these vehicles just keep on getting higher.

Beutiful cars, no doubt but there must be aftermarket people doing discs and pads at much more competitive prices!

spudboy
27th March 2009, 08:40 AM
Hi Dawg - Thanks for bringing some joy to my morning :D

Haven't replaced the pads in mine, but I'll know what to expect when they tell me the pads are getting thin.....

DirtyDawg
31st March 2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Dawg - Thanks for bringing some joy to my morning :D

Haven't replaced the pads in mine, but I'll know what to expect when they tell me the pads are getting thin.....

My pleasure Boet, the only good news was the rubber boot on the key was U/S so they changed that under warranty....:cool:

Rim
27th December 2011, 03:46 PM
KHOR in BNE did my rear brakes and machined the rotors for about $400.. Ive done about 15k since without so much as a squeek! :D

Rim

Homestar
27th December 2011, 05:09 PM
Front disks can be had new for about $50 each + postage from places like Britishparts. Rears are around $35 each + postage. Pads are $40 for the front and $35 for the rears. So for under $250 + delivery, these are one cheap machine to do the brakes on - cheaper than my old Commodore or my Daugthers 92 Pulsar! I wouldn't ever worry about machining or anything, when the pads are worn, replace the whole lot, and they are easy to fit. The whole front and rear suspension/brakes/etc are all very easy to work on for the average DIY'er with a basic tool kit.

This is one upside to owning a car like this - there are heaps of places selling aftermarket parts, and a lot of them are quite cheap when you think about the cars original value, and what the stealers are asking for parts...

tebone
28th December 2011, 04:29 PM
Front disks can be had new for about $50 each + postage from places like Britishparts. Rears are around $35 each + postage. Pads are $40 for the front and $35 for the rears. So for under $250 + delivery, these are one cheap machine to do the brakes on - cheaper than my old Commodore or my Daugthers 92 Pulsar! I wouldn't ever worry about machining or anything, when the pads are worn, replace the whole lot, and they are easy to fit. The whole front and rear suspension/brakes/etc are all very easy to work on for the average DIY'er with a basic tool kit.

This is one upside to owning a car like this - there are heaps of places selling aftermarket parts, and a lot of them are quite cheap when you think about the cars original value, and what the stealers are asking for parts...

I agree with you bacicat2000,
I replaced my rear rotors and pads for $250. Easy to replace yourself and have done about 20K's since with no troubles. Alot of people out there are quick to rip you off when you mention range rover.
regards Paul

Rim
28th December 2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks a heap lads. I appreciate the heads up. Front brakes will prob need replacing shortly, so I will definitely have a go myself and invest the $$ into converting my tv to digital!! :D

cheers

Rim

jsp
29th December 2011, 11:20 PM
Mine needs new fronts at least as I cooked them a bit in the hills yesterday and they are slightly warped and going by the service records the fronts are 65k old. Any aus suppliers or internet/UK?

ariddell
30th December 2011, 10:02 AM
Our 03 has had a habit of warping its front rotors on a fairly regular basis, ended up just getting them skimmed about every 10,000km or so when it starts shuddering noticeably.

Not had the same issue on our 08 S/C as yet, suspecting it may be somewhat more troublesome when it needs done what with the Brembos on the front.

Anyone had to do the replacement on an S/C as yet by any chance? Know if the rotors/pads are specific or just the calipers that are different?

Cheers,

Al

Ivan
30th December 2011, 11:12 AM
bacicat

Not sure where you got your prices from but, I just asked for the price on a full set of rotors and pads for a D3 and was quoted over $600. Prices for the rotors were over $100 each and $100+ for front and rear pads. With GST and delivery it came to over $700.

Regards

Ivan

Homestar
30th December 2011, 07:47 PM
bacicat

Not sure where you got your prices from but, I just asked for the price on a full set of rotors and pads for a D3 and was quoted over $600. Prices for the rotors were over $100 each and $100+ for front and rear pads. With GST and delivery it came to over $700.

Regards

Ivan

Check these guys out - Range Rover L322--Brakes (http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/cat/Range%20Rover%20L322--Brakes)

http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/cat/Discovery%20Series%203--Brakes

Homestar
30th December 2011, 07:51 PM
Our 03 has had a habit of warping its front rotors on a fairly regular basis, ended up just getting them skimmed about every 10,000km or so when it starts shuddering noticeably.

Not had the same issue on our 08 S/C as yet, suspecting it may be somewhat more troublesome when it needs done what with the Brembos on the front.

Anyone had to do the replacement on an S/C as yet by any chance? Know if the rotors/pads are specific or just the calipers that are different?

Cheers,

Al

Hi Al - I believe disks are all the same for the 08 model - just different calipers on the SC

Ivan
31st December 2011, 07:03 AM
Check these guys out - Range Rover L322--Brakes (http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/cat/Range%20Rover%20L322--Brakes)

Discovery Series 3--Brakes (http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/cat/Discovery%20Series%203--Brakes)

Doh!!!!

I thought you meant BritishParts.com.au in WA.

Ivan

Calis
31st December 2011, 08:04 AM
hi guys, if british isnt absolutely necessary check these guys out. http://www.dba.com.au (http://www.dba.com.au)

great product, Im putting the 4000 slotted series on my subaru due to towing until the RRS comes.
use the vehicle finder. Probably not the cheapest option but they are full OEM replacement and heavy duty and by the sounds of all the rotor replacements/machining I'm hearing about I'll be swapping mine out as these cars are HEAVY!!! :p

cheers,

Calis

jsp
15th January 2012, 09:34 PM
I just bought a pair of front rotors and pads for under $300 locally. Not worth going over seas. But I am after standard stuff not the hardcore stuff.

Homestar
27th March 2012, 01:16 PM
Got the new brakes today - 4 days from order from GB - pretty pleased with that.:) One quick question which I can't find an answer for - what type of brake fluid do these things use? I was going to flush the system while I was at it with new fluid, but I don't want to put the wrong stuff in there - do I need just DOT 4, or do I need something special like DOT 5?

Cheers - Gav

Ivan
27th March 2012, 02:34 PM
Being an L322 it's probably the most expensive stuff on the market :p

Ivan

woko
27th March 2012, 03:17 PM
Got the new brakes today - 4 days from order from GB - pretty pleased with that.:) One quick question which I can't find an answer for - what type of brake fluid do these things use? I was going to flush the system while I was at it with new fluid, but I don't want to put the wrong stuff in there - do I need just DOT 4, or do I need something special like DOT 5?

Cheers - Gav

Dot 4 is what you need.

PAT303
27th March 2012, 07:20 PM
Gav,it's an easy job,you need a 6mm allen key for the rotor retaining screw. Pat

Homestar
28th March 2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks Pat, it is one of my weekend jobs - Looks like a stright forward job - everything I have seen and done on these so far looks fairly straight forward... apart from getting the sump off... that is something else... Hopefully I won't be doing that any time soon...:p

jsp
29th March 2012, 04:23 PM
I am getting around to mine this weekend also before going to the Land Rover weekend at Melrose for easter.

Is there any special brand or type of lube to put on the caliper slides? Or just the generic stuff in little satchels?

Homestar
31st March 2012, 01:29 PM
Well, started out doing the front brakes - did the RHS - easy, now to the LHS... I can't budge the old disk! It is stuck fast. Anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you shift it? There doesn't seem to be anything it can 'stick' to. There seems to be a small clearance around the wheel studs, and apart from that - and the retaining screw - yes I have removed that... I can't work out what would cause it to get stuck...!?

There is a little bit of surface rust behind the retaining screw, and I have given everything a squirt of WD-40 and smote the crap out of the disk, but to no avail - I can't even put it back together again now with the old disk, as I've been smacking it with a hammer...

Any thoughts????

***EDIT - got the bastard! had a break then got a bigger hammer out!!! - the build up of brake dust had jambed it t the hub***

Cheers - Gav

Homestar
31st March 2012, 04:22 PM
So, now all done. Apart from the disk that didn't want to part company with the hub, all went well and generally easier than doing the brakes on a Dunny Door. While I was at it, I changed all the brake fluid and adjusted the handbrake. So, all up for 2 x disks, 1 set of pads, 1 x wear sensor, 1 litre of brake fluid and a can of Brakekleen - $356.00. This includes delivery of all the big bits from the UK - delivered to my doorstep in 4 days from order. Am I happy with that - bloody oath:).

Took 2 hours all up - including a frustrating 30 minutes getting the stuck disk off. By the way, I was quoted the following supplied in Aus (Not from a dealer - that was even more) - Disks - $235 each, pads - $122 set, wear sensor - $64. All up if I bought locally it would have been $686.00 (including brake fluid and brakekleen), so a saving of $330.00. I've just bought a slab with the some of the change and am knocking back a cold one right now.:)

Cheers - Gav

PAT303
31st March 2012, 05:24 PM
And mechanic's won't touch them as they are a nightmare to work on!!!!. Pat

Homestar
31st March 2012, 06:34 PM
And mechanic's won't touch them as they are a nightmare to work on!!!!. Pat

Yeah, they will lead people to believe they are hard to work on so they can charge you extra $$$, and the Toorak tractor Latte sipping set would only too happily hand over thier dollars...

PS - I'm not a latte hater, so don't go there...:p

jsp
31st March 2012, 11:00 PM
whats the secret to the 16mm bolts holding the caliper on? I snapped a good spanner, then broke two sockets trying to get them loose, end result, two hours down, busted tools, and no parts replaced.

1x unknown brand "drop forged" spanner, 1x sidchrome 16mm socket 1x impact wrech 16mm socket.

I cant quite fit my rattle gun in there either.

And after breaking the spanner (with an extenstion bar on it), I put lots of penetrating oil on it and let it sit for 4 hours before trying sockets on a breaker bar.

:(

Homestar
1st April 2012, 09:03 AM
whats the secret to the 16mm bolts holding the caliper on? I snapped a good spanner, then broke two sockets trying to get them loose, end result, two hours down, busted tools, and no parts replaced.

1x unknown brand "drop forged" spanner, 1x sidchrome 16mm socket 1x impact wrech 16mm socket.

I cant quite fit my rattle gun in there either.

And after breaking the spanner (with an extenstion bar on it), I put lots of penetrating oil on it and let it sit for 4 hours before trying sockets on a breaker bar.

:(

I used a 16mm impact socket - was going to use the rattle gun, but couldn't get it in there. Put the socket on a 2' breaker bar and grunted - they came off no dramas. RAVE says they should be tensioned back to 81 ft/lb, so they shouldn't be that tight...

At a pinch, I could have got the bottom caliper bolt with the rattle gun if I frigged about a bit.

Hope you get them - I know how frustrated I was yesterday when I couldn't get the disk off...