PDA

View Full Version : XENON lights question

Romulus
27th March 2009, 07:09 AM
do any members have Xenon lights fitted to their P38?
Am a bit confused, can these be replaced directly or is a ballast or similar circuit required in order to avoid fault codes?, thanks all.

Scouse
27th March 2009, 07:32 AM
I have fitted HIDs to my P38 but there's a bit of mucking around to avoid the bulb warning issue.

Firstly, you need a 50/55w H4 kit & then you split the harness into 2. This is then hooked up to your existing headlight socket. If you're using a sliding type H4 globe, then you need a diode to prevent backfeed.

A bit fiddly but worthwhile IMO. The hardest part was mounting the ballasts.

Romulus
27th March 2009, 07:39 AM
thanks for that.
You would not have a diagram/pictures on how exactly to split the harness or include a diode?, thanks.

Scouse
27th March 2009, 11:57 AM
I don't have a wiring diagram, I just worked out what needed to be done & did it :).

I used a cheap Chinese kit so what I did might not apply - it depends on which kit you're going to fit.

The harness was split into 2 as each headlight needs a load to avoid bulb failure warnings.
I used the sliding H4 globes so the diode was fitted to prevent backfeed when high beam was selected.

Hoges
27th March 2009, 03:50 PM
Thought about HIDs but ended up replacing the standard halogens with "+50%"...or whatever replacements (60/55W) at moderate cost. straight swap.

Supposedly they use a mix of xenon and halogen gas. Same wattage as standard fit, significant improvement in output. Can also get them with a blue tint...

Still, with the way my eyes tire as I get older:(, and having narrowly avoided wandering livestock recently at 2.00 am :angel: I try and restrict my night sorties...