PDA

View Full Version : Permagrumble, the good, the bad and the ugly

Tote
8th April 2009, 07:59 PM
Well I got my D3 back last week after it failed to proceed on the top level of the Belconnen carpark on January 26th, this was after the dealership had had it for a week.
The Good:
Landrover Australia came to the party with a rentacar since the dealership didnt have any loaners
Lennock Nissan...er.. Landrover seem to be actually trying to provide customer satisfaction, they have been very good with providing updates and have been honest with me on where the repairs are at.
My mate Shannon at Landrover Australia has been excellent in arranging a loan vehicle and pressuring the dealership to get to work on the vehicle.

The Bad
4 weeks to diagnose a damaged canbus cable that was caused by a mounting bracket on the firewall pinching the engine bay loom.
Another week after the replacement loom arrives to schedule the time to fit it
Then another two weeks spent sorting the other modules that the canbus had taken out

The Ugly:
All up 9 weeks + without my Disco 3, nearly 25% of the time I have owned it.

In summary I really do think that Lennock are keen to make a go of the LR dealership in Canberra, they have an issue with trained staff but I'd rather they had staff that were training working on my vehicle than Chrysler (or BMW, this is my 3rd Disco) apprentices who dont give a ****.
The service Manager (Grant ) has been very responsive throughout the whole process and I am grateful for his honesty.
I do think that vehicle service industry has adopted the same methodology as the computer industry though. That is, train the field only enough to allow them to fix 80% of the problems that you encounter. Deal with the other 20% as an escalation and give the customer something to placate them ( a rental or a discount) and deal with the escalations with a small team of underpaid experts who probably do it out of company loyalty

If you own a disco 3 hope the bracket on the firewall behind the airbox isn't crimping the main loom.

Regards,

Tote

Tote
8th April 2009, 08:06 PM
By the way I reckon this is " one of those things" and not a reason not to buy a d3. If you do a search on canbus faults on d3.co.uk I think there may be one other,. I'm prepared to accept that my fault was a one off. The post is more about how the dealer and LR handle it.
Regards,
Tote

CaverD3
8th April 2009, 08:23 PM
Good to see the new Canberra dealer is doing something to rescue LRs reputation in the capital.
Now if only they would do something about the Darwin one and the .................and the non existant ones in regional areas.:angel:

Good to have feedback about dealers.
It is not so much whether somthing goes wrong is is how it is dealt with that makes the difference.

Bigbjorn
9th April 2009, 10:20 AM
It is not just Land Rovers. A friend's eldest son travels a lot in the conduct of his business. He lives on the lower end of the Sunshine Coast. He bought the top line VW diesel car, the big one, not the Golf. All fine and very, very, happy with it until it flat stopped instantaneously between boulia and Mt. Isa. RACQ agent came, and towed it to the Mt. Isa dealer. Dealer very helpful, tried their best, had never seen or sold one before, could not locate fault. Called in other local technical types to no avail. VW Aust. got it returned to Brisbane by truck. Four weeks in the principal Qld. dealers workshop and two visits by VW Aust. technicians from Melbourne and it is fixed, apparently by replacing one component after another until it worked again. Owner now says he worries every time he has to go away. His father tells him to buy a HQ Holden and do an owner-drivers repair course at the local TAFE.

Now, if you had to be stuck in the outback, Mt. Isa would be the city of choice. Used to be the biggest inland city in Oz, and has all sorts of tech support in situ servicing the vast mining and transport operations in the province. No result though.

p38arover
9th April 2009, 10:37 AM
Owner now says he worries every time he has to go away.

Which is why we used the Subaru for our 6 week trip, not the P38A.

CaverD3
9th April 2009, 03:42 PM
I had a VW Golf diesel kept judding on inclines. I said I thought it was an engine managment issue. VW dealer placed the turbo, the DSG clutch assemblies, two fuel pumps and finally the whole transmission.
Still didn't fix it. I asked for a replacement after speaking to a lawyer.
Dealer went into bat for me against VW and got new one.
No problems since.
Saw my old one being driven by the head of technical at VW two months later, they just worked out what it was: The ECU was faulty and they replaced it.:angel: