PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor inlet filter

Graeme
13th April 2009, 04:56 PM
Do people check the condition of the air suspension compressor inlet filter?

Jamo
13th April 2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, but it's up inside the LHS panel behind the taillight, accessed from inside the rear of the car so it's unlikely to get clogged. (although it does happen I believe)

Graeme
13th April 2009, 06:00 PM
I hope it breathes cleaner air than the diff breather on my D2, which is up behind the top lights where the dust is very thick. I've meant to put a filter on the breather but haven't, and it could be the reason why my rear diff oil is always dirty when the front is clean.

If the filter gets dirty I suspect it could contribute to reduced compressor life so will consider moving it to the engine bay when I get one.

Bundalene
13th April 2009, 07:11 PM
Sounds like this is in a similar spot to the Series2 Disco breather and it can get quite dusty from some S2's that I have come across.

Erich

CaverD3
13th April 2009, 07:39 PM
It's inside the vehicle. :angel:
It is sealed so i don't think you can tell much by just looking.
It is a dryer/filtre and is a servicable item. Not sure when LR official service interval is but in humid areas i would suggest a more frequent cahange.

Jamo
13th April 2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks Caver.

Couldn't you guys understand my post. Inside is inside.

D3 = No dust inside!

To access the filter you open the tailgate and remove the access panel at the inside left rear (wherein the towball is stored for UK models).

(But to clarify filter is inside the vehicle and the drier is attached to the compressor itself)

CaverD3
13th April 2009, 09:21 PM
Jamo is right about the dryer.

Both here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/11257/Comp%20Dryer%20Servive%20Manual.pdf

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/11257/Comp%20Filter%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Graeme
13th April 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks people, I hadn't realised it was actually inside, thinking only the access to it was from the inside. It begs the question though, as to why according to the arduous maintenance schedule that it should be changed more regularly than 120K kms when operating in arduous conditions. I'm also surprised the suction noise isn't heard inside the cabin.

Anyway, obviously it doesn't suffer the same problem as the D2's diff breather.

cradle
20th February 2021, 04:19 PM
Thanks people, I hadn't realised it was actually inside, thinking only the access to it was from the inside. It begs the question though, as to why according to the arduous maintenance schedule that it should be changed more regularly than 120K kms when operating in arduous conditions. I'm also surprised the suction noise isn't heard inside the cabin.

Anyway, obviously it doesn't suffer the same problem as the D2's diff breather.

My Discovery 4 is almost 5 years old and had an air compressor problem. When I opened up the air filtering section of the air compressor, it was pretty wet, which indicated that the condensation resulted in the failure of the air compressor and ruined the seals and etc. I put in a new OEM air compressor. I thought that air inlet filter in the LH passenger side could be wet, too. When i opened the lid of the air filter housing of the inlet filter, I found that it was very dry. I pulled out the foam filter and washed it but it was pretty clean. I can say that inlet filter doesn't require servicing unless you spend lots of time driving dusty areas. In any case, you can easily remove the cap and inlet foam filter. Just wash, dry and re-fit. All this can be done by hand and no tools are required.