PDA

View Full Version : Custom D2 snorkel

LRDV8
16th May 2009, 04:36 PM
Hey guys thought I would share my custom snorkel install for my V8 D2. I have been thinking about it for a while as I'm not a big fan of the chunky safari units nor am i keen on paying about $700 to have a mantec shipped from the UK.

Well basically it is made from 3" mild steel exhaust pipe and will run under the gaurd all the way up to the A pillar and then run up the A pillar and follow the roof line much like a comp trucl snorkel.

Pipe hugs the inner gaurd nicely

Gaurd off and first piece in place

Second piece in and tacked together

Welded together and ground back

Ok so not quite long enough but you get the idea..... hopefully will get it finished in the next few weeks and then I'll update the rest of the build.:D

Hendrik
16th May 2009, 05:05 PM
Looking Great so far, I'm watching with keen interest as I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. Not a big fan of the chunky ones either, good to see someone making a custom snorkel for a D2.
Can't wait to see it finished
Cheers
Hendrik

**Discovery300Tdi**
16th May 2009, 05:10 PM
looking good adrian cant wait to see the overall outcome of your custom snorkel. would be good if ya had it for next weekend huh!!!!!!

Mick and i are putting one on my D1 on friday night so should be fun.

will be checking your progress. good work.:thumbsup:

LRDV8
18th May 2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys, Unfortunately it won't be finished for the trip this weekend simo but at least the intake is right back near the A-pillar so it shouldn't suck in as much mud and crap.

pohm66
19th May 2009, 08:42 AM
Watching with MUUUUCH interest LRDV8.

Especially how you work around the issue of not interferring with the bonnet opening. Have been looking to do some thing not to disimilar to Grimmy.

**Discovery300Tdi**
19th May 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys, Unfortunately it won't be finished for the trip this weekend simo but at least the intake is right back near the A-pillar so it shouldn't suck in as much mud and crap.

Sounds good buddy, i reckon theres going to be just a LITTLE more mud there than last time lol. :thumbsup:

LRDV8
2nd August 2009, 08:42 PM
Right-o guys the snorkel is now finished. Let me know what you think.

I'm prettty happy with the result, was a little rushed at the end so it has to come off and get a few touch ups when i get a chance.

LRDV8
2nd August 2009, 08:45 PM
Was a bit dark when i finished but this is what it looked like at the end

steveG
2nd August 2009, 09:10 PM
Looks great Adrian. Top job!!
I did one for my D1 a couple of weeks ago. Doing the bend at the bottom of the windscreen is a PITA!
For mine I just used a regular snorkel head at the top.
Is the end of yours completely open or have you put something near the end to stop little snots stuffing their macca's wrappers down inside?

Steve

slug_burner
2nd August 2009, 10:51 PM
Well done that looks good, I like the idea of the pipe running inside the guard.

**Discovery300Tdi**
2nd August 2009, 11:03 PM
OOOOHHHHH YYEAHHHH thats the shiznit!!!!!!

looks bloody great adrian looks like it was meant to be there.
TOP JOB!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

V8Landy
3rd August 2009, 12:05 AM
Awesome job Adrian, Sure looks the goods. Now we will be able to do that mudhole track again. LMAO:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:: twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twist ed:

LRDV8
3rd August 2009, 03:04 PM
Cheers fellas

Steve, No nothing on the top as yet, at the moment I like the open comp style look...... might change when i get the first toilet roll shoved down it :o

Brett, i'm still a little nervous about that track.... pretty sure i'm still getting mud out from those bogholes ;)

steveG
3rd August 2009, 04:41 PM
Cheers fellas

Steve, No nothing on the top as yet, at the moment I like the open comp style look...... might change when i get the first toilet roll shoved down it :o

To keep the good looks, I reckon something like a couple of bits of thin rod welded just inside the end (about 25mm or so). Drill holes on opposing sides of the tube, put the rods in and weld the ends up so they are permanent (grind flush & paint and you wont know they're there).
Being only 25mm inside the end, anything big is going to fall straight out again, and anything small enough to get past the rods will just end up in the bottom of the airbox.

Good looks AND safe from bogons bearing bog-rolls :D

Steve

Hendrik
3rd August 2009, 08:21 PM
Absolutely top job mate, outstanding. I really love the look of that type of snorkel. It being inside the guard looks soooo much better than the conventional type ones.
For the top of it, you might get lucky and be able to find a Mantec head for it, whether they are sold as a separate unit I'm not sure.

As someone who makes most of my own stuff for my D2 as well, I am very much looking forward to your next custom project. keep up the good work

Fusion
3rd August 2009, 08:25 PM
Snorkel has come up a treat mate ;) . Great work :cool:

Chops
4th August 2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks LRDV8,,,

You've just told me the Mantec's too expensive, so I'll go with what Mudsloth said last weekend and make my own, and you've just confirmed how to do it,,:D

Chops

Tombie
4th August 2009, 01:14 AM
You're going to get it internally coated?

Mild steel pipe will be full of rust soon... even ACMS...

Dont want little rust particles everywhere...

Other than that... AWESOME :cool:

cucinadio
4th August 2009, 06:34 AM
nice job mate ...love that style of snorkel...any chance of a few finished daylight pic's to get a good clear look at it ?

cheers

blue94t
4th August 2009, 07:26 AM
You're going to get it internally coated?

Mild steel pipe will be full of rust soon... even ACMS...

Dont want little rust particles everywhere...

Other than that... AWESOME :cool:

Rust would be my concern too.
Love the idea though, very neat set up

LRDV8
4th August 2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Yes i will do something internally shortly to reduce the rusting out.

Hendrik, i just have to finish off my new rear bar after I ended up selling all the other ones i'd made then it's onto a set of sliders/doorsteps.... hopefully this will give some more ideas and motivation.

Here are some photo's in the daylight, i just need to find some of that thin rubber trim to put arounf the panel cut to finish it off.

steveG
4th August 2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Yes i will do something internally shortly to reduce the rusting out.

Hendrik, i just have to finish off my new rear bar after I ended up selling all the other ones i'd made then it's onto a set of sliders/doorsteps.... hopefully this will give some more ideas and motivation.

Here are some photo's in the daylight, i just need to find some of that thin rubber trim to put arounf the panel cut to finish it off.

Clark Rubber or Total Rubber have plenty of rubber trims to choose from.

I meant to coat the inside of mine with some Tectyl type stuff but forgot about it until it was already mounted on the car. Its going to be a rag on a rope job now :(

Steve

cucinadio
4th August 2009, 09:56 AM
mate really nice job...l love the mantec style over the safari style for the disco's ...wish l had the ball's to pull it off tho

cheers

Cannon
25th August 2009, 01:10 PM
Excellent work mate, looks fantastic:)

Just wondering how you connected to the air box?

LRDV8
26th August 2009, 12:05 PM
Hey mate,

It just connects via the factory intake through the gaurd, my pipework runs all the way up to this point.

I am in the process of drawing up and getting an aluminium airbox custom made after which point i will be running the 3'' pipe all the way to the airbox.