PDA

View Full Version : Sony Alpha 200

dullbird
16th May 2009, 06:52 PM
Hi Guys

Friend has contacted me on some advice about buying a Sony alpha as a present for her hubby...:)

The reason it the Alpha is because she noticed him looking at it a lot last year in Japan....

Now she knows nothing about DSLRs And I have advised her as best I could as I don't know the level of experience my mate has....I'm guessing some but not extensive.

So she said she had 250 to 300 pounds and that's about all really which puts her in the bracket of a Sony alpha 200.

Anyone got experience with this camera is it ok as an entry level?

Also the other things I said I would ask is. Is there good glass available for it as I told her if you can't get good glass your better off not buying waiting a little longer and getting something that fits the bill.

I don't want to advise her to buy another brand if that is what he was looking at....and in any case they all seem to be out of her budget range

Lou

dmdigital
16th May 2009, 07:27 PM
A work collegue has just bought one a month or so back. She too is just starting out with a DSLR. The shots she is taking aren't to bad and the colours seem good. I've notice some shots are rather soft, but that could also be technique. Overall though I think she is very happy with it and I'd say its doing its job.

There's a lot more glass around for Canon and Nikon but in the end buying an A200 isn't committing to a brand line like buying Canon or Nikon could be. I think there is an Olympus in the same price bracket that may be newer to market. Probably the only downside to the A200 is it has been around since Jan 08 so there's a few others that have come after it.

mjm295
16th May 2009, 10:39 PM
I have the Alpha 100, I think its great. takes much better photos than any other camera I have used. Also there are a raft of lenses that fit (Minolta I think)

Only problem I had was using the Sony adapter to use a Sony memory stick instead of Compact Flash. Now i have a real CF card its great.

I have 18-70 and 70-300 kit lenses. They are great for getting started and some people can't believe the pics I have taken.

djambalawa
16th May 2009, 11:03 PM
I reckon dpreview is a great resource for deciding on cameras etc... here is the review on the Alpha 200;

Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra200/)

In summary they highly recommend it which is good! Its not perfect but they reckon its great for the price... main issues were high ISO performance etc that you wouldn't expect too much of it anyway...

werdan
17th May 2009, 06:19 AM
Sony bought all of Minolta's camera IP when Minolta got out of the camera business a couple of years ago. They do have some high quality ex-Minolta designed lenses (the G-Series) in the line-up that cost a packet. They have also added quite a few 'Carl Zeiss' lenses which also cost a packet (85mm F1.4 'drooool'). On the brig side, Minolta made lenses for this mount for almost 20 years and so did a few third-party lens makers. There are therefore quite a lot of lenses floating around secondhand, but like DM said, not as many as Canon or Nikon.

dullbird
17th May 2009, 09:29 AM
I reckon dpreview is a great resource for deciding on cameras etc... here is the review on the Alpha 200;

Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra200/)

In summary they highly recommend it which is good! Its not perfect but they reckon its great for the price... main issues were high ISO performance etc that you wouldn't expect too much of it anyway...

thanks I have already forwarded this link to my friend

300+
17th May 2009, 06:46 PM
I've the A100 and I'm happy with it. When I bought it the competition was more expensive or not as good. Nikon had the D40 and the D70. The D40 was not many mega-pixels, basic, etc. the D70 was a lot more money

The downside is the 18-70 kit lens is not as good as other cheap kit lenses. I'm quite happy with it, but it does require a tweak in post to get the contrast up. Not a worry for me as I always shoot in raw, so there is always some post.

My next purchase will be a tamron 17-50 f2.8, which is a decent lens according to the reviews. From what I read you typically need to replace the kit lenses with all brands, so I don't see this as a particular Sony negative.

Next up the lens stakes are the Sigma APO type, etc. which are great and then you get the Carl Zeiss ones which are as good as any other top priced optics.

I bought Sony as it was the best value for money at the time. I was also confident that Sony would look to excel in the field so the subsequent generations products would be good, creating a migration path to let you keep the lenses.

Cheers, Steve

Armadillo
18th May 2009, 09:35 AM
Although Sony was slow off the mark in regards to taking over SLR production from Minolta, they are now producing quite good cameras. I have the earlier Minolta 7D and has been good and am looking to upgrade to the Sony A700. The real attraction, IMO, is the superb Minolta lenses, particularly the earlier AF ones. Very sharp, superb bokeh, built like tanks and willl last a lifetime. Some of these lenses are legendary and are highly sought after. I have quite a collection of them now and will never part with them.

Check out the lens database at Dyxum.com - home of the Minolta / Alpha-mount dSLR photographer (http://www.dyxum.com), which is also a good site for minolta/sony SLRs. The database covers all A-Mount lenses.

Captain_Rightfoot
18th May 2009, 02:50 PM
According to Dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09051804sonyalphas.asp) Sony have just updated this camera.

There might be good buying on the old one or a decision to wait for the new one!

JES
11th June 2009, 06:16 PM
Well I'm off to the Simpson again this year but my favourite photographer (who works for 4WD Action) was planned to come along has now dropped out of the trip to go to Europe.
This has led me to consider other options for photos and I purchased a twin lens Alpha 200. Don,t know too much about DSLR's in fact come to think about it I don,t know anything !!

Taken some pics over the long weekend to get some practice. Not professional but I'm very impressed with the camera, even makes me look good.... well OK !:D
John

AussieAub
11th June 2009, 06:35 PM
I bought the a100 just weeks before the a200 came out, and I love it!
Suppose it depends on what your use of its gonna be.
If you're a wedding photographer, you'd defo go for something better.
If its more point and shoot with the option of more serious stuff, but not getting professional, it'll do anyone fine.

I went for the Sony as I had an older Minolta 35mm SLR and I could "transplant" all my old lenses onto the Sony with no hassle.
Add to that the fact that my old Minolta "standard" lenses now also have "anti-shake" due to the function being built into the Sonys body, and not the lens.

I can't say I'm in any way disappointed with my a100, and still consider it to have been an excellant choice. I know a few guys who "have to have the best" and coz they read all the mags etc beforehand, went out and blew stacks more on other brands just to have the most current model, and use them as point and shoot cameras.
Whats the point....?!?! :D

Go for the Sony, its a perfectly good and capable camera for anyone.......

Cheers,

..:: KIEREN ::..
2000 Disco II Auto V8
Object Of Mass Consumption
AussieAubs Disco Page (http://aussieaub.blogspot.com)