PDA

View Full Version : I cant get rid of the bloody ding ding!!

McDisco
23rd May 2009, 09:41 AM
Hey All

A while ago I changed some of my BCU settings for single press entry and a few other things. I also fiddled with the seat belt warnings. Now I have the 5-6 chime when I turn the ignition on...and its annoying the hell out of me.

It used to not chime at all. I had thought that the programming of the Nanocom was wrong as it had a 'buckled' and 'fastened' option which I thought were the same, but they are not as I tried my mechanic testbook system and his was the same.

I have tried modifying other settings but cant get the chimes to go away...any ideas?! Anyone else have the same thouhts?

Angus

crossy999
24th May 2009, 10:02 PM
Try this:
SEAT BELT WARNING SOUND = timed
SEAT BELT WARNING = timed
KEY IN WARNING = disabled

...works for me :)

McDisco
30th May 2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks crossy. Pretty sure I have tried that but will try again.

Angus

feral
30th May 2009, 05:34 PM
Long shot here Angus but give it a go.

You had problems loading the latest firmware..yes?

One of the fixes of the 2.04 firmware was the write to BCU unit. It used to come up with an error - 'Unable to communicate' and then say 'write successful'

Reload the firmware and then take it from there. Worth a long shot.

McDisco
7th June 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks mate, but I have had the problem since before the 2.04 firmware. Serves me rigt for fiddling with it in the first place!

alien
25th May 2010, 03:03 PM
Hey All

A while ago I changed some of my BCU settings for single press entry and a few other things. I also fiddled with the seat belt warnings. Now I have the 5-6 chime when I turn the ignition on...and its annoying the hell out of me.

It used to not chime at all. I had thought that the programming of the Nanocom was wrong as it had a 'buckled' and 'fastened' option which I thought were the same, but they are not as I tried my mechanic testbook system and his was the same.

I have tried modifying other settings but cant get the chimes to go away...any ideas?! Anyone else have the same thouhts?

Angus

How did you go Angus?
Mines doing the same, nearly used to the chimes now;)
Still, it would be good to get rid of it.

VladTepes
25th May 2010, 04:14 PM
My Defender doesn;t chime at all ! :lol2:

bluerazor
25th May 2010, 07:18 PM
Try To load the Latest Firmware V2.05
It's more stable
Good Luck

Slunnie
25th May 2010, 07:58 PM
Find the chime speaker and cut the wires. :D

disco_thrasher
26th May 2010, 12:10 PM

:Rolling: :Rolling: :Rolling: AWESOME

Tombie
26th May 2010, 02:23 PM

Hmm see a pattern is definitely forming...Your solutions seem to contain..

Cutting
Sawing
Grinding
Gas axe
Tin Snips
:wasntme:

VERY tongue in cheek and shouldnt be taken as criticism, just humour...

LandyAndy
26th May 2010, 07:33 PM
How about fire???
A good inferno should sort it!!!
Andrew

ADMIRAL
26th May 2010, 08:05 PM
Probably faster than finding the source of the problem, ...............and a permanent fix too !

Hopefully you won't need that chime speaker for something more important. ( like a ' no oil ' warning )

gazk
26th May 2010, 08:31 PM
I have had problems where the "write" to the BCU after changing settings seems to occasionally get interrrupted (communication error) and in that case some settings end up in their default state. I always record ALL the BCU settings before making any changes then check them ALL after the "write" procedure.
Cheers

BBS Guy
9th June 2010, 07:17 AM
There are actually different versions of the BCU, with subtly different memory maps.
And in fact IIRC the seat belt option value in one produces quite a different effect if directly re written in the other or written back without all it's bits intact.

For the technically minded i will try to explain this a bit better.
In the early versions of BCU, just 2 binary bits were used for the seat belt warning, giving 4 possible settings, however in later versions, some market legislation or other determined more options were needed and so the bits used was increased to 3, and the memory re shuffled to accommodate this. However the lower 2 bits were not functionally re mapped as per its predecessor. You gotta love LR logic :(

If you use equipment that is not capable of detecting the difference in BCU version and acting accordingly, you can end up reading in and restoring only 2 of the 3 required bits, thus producing such effects and vice versa.

I know from experience that a lot of equipment has been produced by copying another. Hey thats life and business, unfortunately however this short cut often means such detail and understanding can so easily be lost. Any copier of our system, may not for example have figured that on a Version 7 BCU our system provides just 4 options and on a version 8 or greater you actually get more options.

BTW, i believe the layman way to determine the BCU Version is to count the number of sweeps made on the rear wiper in once activation mode.

There was an update BCU action which when done was supposed to be denoted by a paint dab being applied to the head of a securing bolt, but i also understand that a lot of dealers chose not do this because the later BCU had slightly different diagnostic communication timing and the TestBook simply could not communicate with the new version ECU. I really do not know if this was ever sorted out but have learned to give the old TB a very wide berth.

I should perhaps add that if you use version 7 BCU data to write into a version 8 BCU with our equipment, we automatically re work the 3 bits to achieve the required result. If you do the opposite, as long as its a supported option, we re work the bits accordingly, else we advise it's an invalid and un supported option.

sniegy
1st July 2010, 07:56 PM
Hi Simon,
It is part of the BCU & wired onto the PCB for this control unit;)

Cheers

Slunnie
1st July 2010, 11:26 PM
Hi Simon,
It is part of the BCU & wired onto the PCB for this control unit;)

Cheers
Thanks Pete, its sounding like Angus probably shouldn't cut the wires! :D