PDA

View Full Version : D3 Warranty "No Problem"

wardh
10th June 2009, 06:13 PM
I thought I would share this with you all.

My Tdv6 S is approching the end of its factory warranty and the 96k service was about due so I thought I would go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and see if I could find anything that could reasonably be claimed repaired or replaced before the end of the factory warranty.

Earlier my LR service centre had explained that it was easier to fix things under the factory warranty period as this involves less red tape and paperwork rather than when the extended warranty I have for the next 3 years kicks in.

I made a list of items such as drivers door seal split, loose external front pillar trims (has been an ongoing problem) plastic brackets cracked that hold the rear bumper and while under the vehicle I noticed that a fine dust was sticking to the front diff just where the axle comes out of the housing to the drivers side wheel.

LR after the list was checked said "No Problems" leave it with us some of the things will need to be ordered. We checked the front diff and it could be the seal, its not leaking at this stage but will replace it just in case.

I explained that we were going to be away for a few weeks on a trip and if the parts were in stock when we returned I would also be about due for the 96k service so they could do all the work then.

When we returned I contacted them. Service said they needed the vehicle all day and if possible could I pick it up the next day so all the work could be done. Fine! (but curious) I asked Why so long? [B]IT TAKES A WHILE TO REPLACE THE FRONT DIFF [Bthats right, there are no seals available so I now have a complete new front diff and every thing else on the list was also replaced and repaired.

Sorry for the long tail but the moral of the story is, if approching the end of your warranty check and check again your vehicle and bring even the smallest detail of a potential problem to your LR service centre's attention.

I'm more than happy with the result I had but still gob smacked that a seal perhaps $10 worth is not available for the axle to diff which therefore required the entire diff to be replaced.

Thanks for "No Problem" Warranty.

scarry
10th June 2009, 06:28 PM
I had 3 D2's from new & always found LR excellent with warranty stuff,always tried their utmost to do the right thing,& very helpful.:)

As for the quality of the workmanship from the mechanics in the workshop,well we wont go there...........

Umm,i remember once the kids broke the rear cupholders that fold into the centre rear seat,& they also replaced them no questions asked.

CaverD3
12th June 2009, 07:28 PM
There is a good reason for replacing the diff. There was coating on the diff which reacts with the diff oil and degrads the seal. This causes contamination of the oil leading to excessive bearing wear. In SA they are putting in reconditioned ones with new bearings.

dannog
18th June 2009, 02:14 PM
My D3 is now 3 months out of warranty. I had the suspension height failure on the weekend and just had it repaired.

Landrover replaced the breaker AND the compressor no cost. Service form says "good faith" warranty replacement. :BigThumb::BigThumb::BigThumb:

I'm very happy given how much I've heard these compressors are to replace

Bushwanderer
18th June 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi dannog, & welcome,
Sounds like you got a good result. :BigThumb:

Best Wishes,
Peter

peterall
19th June 2009, 05:13 PM
Wardh,
I am interested in what the dealer said/ did about the loose external front trims.
Mine blew off several times until I added a zip tie down below the bonnet level which seems to have resolved the issue.
Nice to know they fixed the other issues you had.

Jamo
19th June 2009, 06:14 PM
Peter, I used a stainlesss steel screw in the bottom part of the A pillar trim to hold it on and it's been fine since.

LR have changed the style of clips, but it didn't make a difference to me. the wind still got under the screen side of the trim and put pressure on the clips until eventually one failed and then the rest let go.

wardh
19th June 2009, 07:11 PM
peterall

I had the trims blow off a couple of times. The first time it happened was when a truck passed us in the oppersite direction on the highway, the passenger side let go and jammed at right angles between the pillar and bonnet. It made one hell of a noise. Both the wife and I nearly had to change our undies.

LR fitted new clips but the trims came loose again. They sort of kept popping up and I kept pushing them down again, not satisfactory so complained again.

The last fix they have tried is new clips again but also applied sicaflex I think they called it under the trim. I beleive it is a type of neutral cure silacone. So far so good.

Howard

landyfever
19th June 2009, 07:47 PM
The windscreen pillar trims fall off because 'windscreen fitters' put them back on without clips & incorrect clips .
All the cars I've repaired with loose A pillar trims have had windsceens replaced previously.
If the trims are refitted with the correct clips (new ones) they don't come off.

DMC
20th June 2009, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=CaverD3;997496]There is a good reason for replacing the diff. There was coating on the diff which reacts with the diff oil and degrads the seal. This causes contamination of the oil leading to excessive bearing wear. In SA they are putting in reconditioned ones with new bearings.[/QUOT

Caver D3. Do you know if LR are still putting the internal coating on the diffs & trans case ? If they dont, when did they stop ?

CaverD3
20th June 2009, 08:31 PM
They have definately changed the diff. New ones are black not grey.
Not sure when there was a changeover. (maybe MY07 or so?)
Do a search on DISCO3.CO.UK - Dedicated to Discovery 3 and LR3 Owners and Enthusiasts (http://www.disco3.co.uk) if you can't find out I am sure someone will know if you post the question.

Jamo
20th June 2009, 11:25 PM
The windscreen pillar trims fall off because 'windscreen fitters' put them back on without clips & incorrect clips .
All the cars I've repaired with loose A pillar trims have had windsceens replaced previously.
If the trims are refitted with the correct clips (new ones) they don't come off.

Not so! I had replaced my clips in their entirety (with the 'new' ones) a couple of times before putting in the screw. Admittedly it's windy around here, but I've never had a windscreen replaced. Inserting a screw solved the problem.

Gooseneck
1st December 2009, 07:02 PM
This is what the ACCC says about a voluntary warranty. I think the 'good faith' replacement was a case of LR complying with their consumer obligations. The manufacturers warranty makes it easier to deal with an issue, so it does have value but just because your warranty has run out doesn't mean you shouldn't be hammering on LR's door. A vehicle should last a decade without any major issues IMHO.

How long do consumers’ statutory
rights apply?
Statutory rights are not limited to a set time
period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time
that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and
quality of the item.
This means a consumer may be entitled to a
remedy under their statutory rights after any
manufacturer’s voluntary or extended warranty has
expired.
For example, it is reasonable to expect that an
expensive television should not develop a serious
fault after 13 months of normal use. In this case,
the consumer could argue the item was not of
merchantable quality and ask for it to be repaired,
even if the manufacturer’s voluntary warranty had
expired.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item.phtml?itemId=322947&nodeId=3726f80476d39264236239280b6cf713&fn=Warranties%20and%20refunds.pdf

jtonline
6th December 2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks Gooseneck, I am going to save that link and print it out for any future use, hopefully not link to the Discovery though.