PDA

View Full Version : New speakers for D2

imatt
15th June 2009, 07:39 PM
Hi all,
I am looking at replacing my standard speakers in the D2, for some new 6 or 6.5" splits. I am currently running a JVC CD/DVD/USB head unit and want to replace the standard speakers to some that offer some more bass, I don't really wish to install a sub at the moment because I believe decent splits run off an amp should be enough, and I don't know where I could put a sub that would be practical. I am looking at buying some MTX TX6001 splits which I believe are pretty good but then I came across another brand at a good price, they are Soundstream LS60C. Does anyone have any experience with these speakers and will 6.5" splits fit in the standard mountings? Would installing these same speakers in the rear passenger doors be overkill? Could an amp be fitted under the front passenger or driver seat?
Cheers Matt;)

BMKal
16th June 2009, 09:16 AM
I have the sub mounted under the front passenger's seat with no problems. There isn't enough room under the driver's seat with the CD stacker already in there. I found that decent speakers in the front doors alone didn't give any decent base, and installed a sub in the back left side replacing the plastic bin that was there (5 seater).

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2696/dscf1297.jpg (http://img44.imageshack.us/i/dscf1297.jpg/)

imatt
16th June 2009, 05:00 PM
Went and looked at some more speakers today and I think I could be possibly sold with some focal splits. Not looking at putting sub in boot as I have 7 seat disco, if I was installing a sub it would probably go under a seat in the front.
Cheers Matt:D

big guy
16th June 2009, 06:17 PM
I have focal splits with a 2 way focal 4inch in the back.
The splits come with a external cross over which you have to mount somewhere.
I put mine in the footwell, they look good plus are adjustable.

Focal sounds very good and bass is one thing that a small speaker just can't produce.
They do sell an active sub that fits under the seat. Was gonna get one of them also but they are $500 and will have to wait.
The focals sound great, you will hardly believe the difference.

I run a pioneer head unit.

LandyAndy
16th June 2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Matt
If it helps,I took one of my rear door speakers out the other day to check the hole diameter.13.5cm,so most 6.5" speakers SHOULD fit.Just make sure they need a 13.5cm hole or smaller.Plenty of depth in the doors.
MEE TOOO I want BASSS instead of distortion with volume.
I have an Alpine 45wx4 head unit and 6 disc changer.The factory speakers are rubbish!!!
PS rears you just remove the grilles to get the speakers out,fronts you need to remove the door skin.
Andrew

imatt
19th June 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi Guy's
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear that to get to the rear speakers I only need to remove grill, I took the front door skin off and thought it would be simple after that but then I needed a torx key and I didn't have one small enough, what a pain. Still tossing up what brand to get, the focal splits were great but the price is just too high, I'm looking between $200 - $300 for a set of splits there is a few brands on special in that price range eg. soundstream, MTX, Kicker and fusion to name a few.
Cheers Matt:D

LandyAndy
19th June 2009, 06:51 PM
Backs reqire the torx bit too if you want to remove the speaker.You can get a tamper proof bit kit from good hardware stores for $20-$30.You will need the tamperproof bits if you ever need to open up an ECU.
Andrew

njz
26th June 2009, 01:16 PM
I've had 100mm Focal's in my D1 for about 8 or 9 years. They produce great sound for such a small speaker and have lasted well. For bass I run a sub in the rear bin installed like the one above.